SlotForum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the welcome center but figured it might be more suitable within this area. Thanks all for your help!

I have spent the past three hours surfing the net attempting to learn more about slot car racing. From what I have gathered I have found that a 1 64 solution is perhaps the worst long term investment one can make due to many reasons. However I am limited with real estate because I live in an apartment and this would be a perfect touch to my Nascar room. I will personally build the table for which the slot cars will race on but need some help choosing a viable solution to accomodate my needs but still leave me begging for more! I have found slot machines that require pit stops and would like to include this into my track system. However I have onl found 1 32 solutions...does anyone know of any 1 64 solutions?!? Another issue I have read about 1 64 tracks are the speeds of the track....are there solutions available limiting the speeds on the track so they don't fly off and land in the doggie bowl?!? Also from what I have read I am really wanting to go with a digital solution....does anyone know any for the 1 64 scale cars?!? As an added bonus....does anyone in here make 1 64 scale slot cars for the digital package that would be interested in providing my broke tail with a quote on the following drivers: Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Elliott Sadler, Mark Martin, Dale Earnhardt Jr, and Joe Nemechek (U.S. Army) Thanks for all your help and hope to have many posts here : )

Ray

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Tyco/Mattel HotWheels (one and the same thing) did a pit stop feature in a NASCAR set a couple of years back. I don't know how it worked as I only saw it from a distance at a HO-scale meeting I was at.

As for the magnets in HO cars, yes all modern HO cars come with strong magnets which does increase the cornering speed and tends to give little warning of when a car is about to break away and fly off at speed. I actually gave up on HO because I came to the conclusion that this wasn't how I wanted to race BUT on the grounds that my HO stuff was gathering dust unused and was about to go in the refuse skip at work (!) I broke the traction magnets out of some of the cars and I found that they still worked at a more acceptable (to me at least) slower speed and drifted sideways in the corners. So this can be done to lower the speed and of course, lowering the speed means that a small layout becomes 'bigger' (sort of...)

The only cars I found didn't respond to the "magnets out" approach are Micro Scalextric because they use springy braids (rather than flat metal strips) to contact the rails and they need to magnets to counter-act the "lift" this causes.

I later went over to 1:43 for my home setup (easier to source in the UK than the 1:64 HO stuff) and stick with 1:32/1:24 for club racing.

Coop

1 - 3 of 3 Posts