SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted before, did a search but couldnt find really what i was looking for.

recently purchased myself a scalextric set and have got the misses hooked, after a visit to the hornby museum and a play on the digital set have decided that digital racing is the way forward for us, however here comes the dilema/question.

what do I choose?

As i am unlikely to race with more than four people is it worth just buying a 4 car power base upgrade kit:
something like this:http://www.scalextric.com/shop/pit-lane/digital-accessories/c7056-digital-conversion-kit--special-purchase/

also im watching a few 6 car power bases on ebay (1.5 version). are these worth using having upgraded? or worth avoiding.

or do i just blow the budget on a 6 car advanced jobby? as seen a few on flea bay.

thanks in advance for any help/advice very much a newbe to the slot car world and forums, (so apologises again if this has been done)

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
The reasons for getting the C7042 Advanced 6 Car Power Base are too numerous to mention. Don't even consider the other options. Whether you're running by yourself, or with 1-5 other people, the benefits are the same, and numerous.

IMHO.

Also, welcome to SlotForum!

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
give the 4 car base a wide berth. The v1.5 can be made into a good base but it will cost the same or more to get it modded as buying the C7042 apb..

Apb has a lot more options going for it straight out the box and when connected to a race management program it really starts to shine above all.

Add in pitpro for realistic pitstops and it starts to get very addictive..

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Don't bother with the 4 car base.

if you can afford it get the new 6 car base.

If you can't afford it and you are not racing on a large circuit I think that the v1.5 base is not a bad option without any modifications. You can still connect it to SSDC with the correct cable for lap times etc and you can use it with a RichG laptower.

We use one of these on my lads triple cup digital track instead of the 4 car base and plug it into the laptop with SSDC.

I also happen to have a couple of them spare if you want one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick replies guys,

had a feeling the expensive option would be the answer
. Hopefully few im watching on ebay dont jump up to much and I can go that way.

Currently have the X4 layout with a few extra pieces and cannot fit much in with current available space. with the 1.5 pb would it be able to handle that with maybe 2/3 lane changers and 4 cars? just as a back up if apb goes for to much?

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
When it comes down to it, the 1.5PB (C7030) is not a BAD option. It's better than the 4 car base, but is best when upgraded with the PB-Pro software, and even better with Simple-H upgrade for power. Though that puts you at the same, or higher, price as a new C7042. The problem is that it's the "old" one. Development has been focused on the new one, the C7042, for some time already, and is likely to be that way from here on out. PB-Pro users will be lucky to get any more updates, while the APB (C7042) will likely get several more in the coming years. Honestly, it would be better to not buy anything, and save up until you can buy the C7042 base. It covers pretty much everything needed for a digital race track, and will only continue to get better as development continues, leaving the old base further and further behind. This is the way of electronics, and I don't recommend people to start out with old and soon-to-be-obsolete hardware.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
one of the big problems with the 4 car base and the v1.5 6 car base is interaction between the cars.
So for eg you start a race with 3 cars and if one de slots the other 2 get a power boost wich usually means the other cars also de slot as the boost usually coincides with an approaching corner.

Best to save up and get the C7042 apb,with the 2 psu's plugged in you can race 6 cars and operate the lc sections without power issues...

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
The APB is not supplied with a transformer (neither are the other power bases to be fair.

So looking at that special offer you found - it may be worth buying it for the lane changer, transformer and digital throttles and simply ignoring the 4 car powerbase. It depends what you can get the others for individually but recentlty straight lane changers have been going for more than £30 on ebay, the transformers tend to be about £28-£30 and the throttles about £9-£10 each. So if you buy the package you save a few quid, get a couple of extra bits of track and a 4 car powerbase that you can keep as backup or sell on ebay for a fiver.

APB gets my vote. I started off with the triple cup with 4 car base. Only took me one race using APB at a friend's house to order the APB and the 4 car base has been sitting the the cupboard ever since (seeing as it failed to sell twice on ebay free listing weekends with a starting price of £5!!!)

APB, SSDC, PitPro with 2 sensors - it rocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts