SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, small confession, i'm a newby to this forum but not Slot Racing. However, I've recently got back into it after years away and i'm blown away by all the choices. It's incredible just how much kit is available now.

Anyway, the questions are as follows. I currently possess a reasonably large Scalextric Sport layout with the standard power supply. I'm quite keen to add the Ninco Rally loops to make a larger single lap. What converters do i need to connect the track? Will my power supply be able to power this? If yes which setting does it need to be on?

What software do you use for planning track layouts? Where can I get it? How much does it cost?

Probably enough to be going on with for a while

cheers

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Hi ****** and welcome to SF!

Just a very quick response and I hope others will add to it.
Scalextric make cheap Sport to Classic track adapters and Ninco make Ninco to Classic track adapters, so connections are certainly possible. How the geometry would work out, I am not so sure and perhaps someone else will have more to say on that.

Just as an option, I believe that it's possible to produce loops in Scalextric track and Moped might like to comment on this, as I believe he has done it - I seem to recall seeing pics somewhere and that there might be more than one way to do it.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
for layout design some people use scalextric RMS. This is a sophisticated lap counter and race management system, and includes track layout design function, though it might not support the ninco bits. You have to buy the software and the counter trck bit.

Another one which is free is Slot Manager , this one supports multiple makes of track pieces, and also includes timing and race management code, but you have to build the sensor bit yourself for that part. Its either freeware or shareware, can't remember

There is another free one which someone mentioned, you will have to hunt this forum yourself cos i have lost it now

good luck

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Welcome ******! Love the username

Another free track planner is Carrera's available on their website. I know Carrera stuff is wider etc. but if the track parts have similar angles and lengths - most do then the Carrera planner may give you a "ballpark" plan to visualise with. In fact the overall dimensions of a Sport/Ninco layout should be smaller than a Carrera one.

You may have problems printing the plans from Carrera, but a workaround is to hit the print screen button on your keyboard (it pastes the screenshot into the clipboard) and then paste into a drawing program - I use paintshop pro 5, but I don't see why Windoze paint shouldn't work.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Difflock, I do a lot of graphics design for websites so have a number of decent paint programs. Windoze MS Paint is not one of them

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (astro @ 30 Jan 2004, 03:14 PM)for layout design some people use scalextric RMS. This is a sophisticated lap counter and race management system, and includes track layout design function, though it might not support the ninco bits. You have to buy the software and the counter trck bit.

Another one which is free is Slot Manager , this one supports multiple makes of track pieces, and also includes timing and race management code, but you have to build the sensor bit yourself for that part. Its either freeware or shareware, can't remember

There is another free one which someone mentioned, you will have to hunt this forum yourself cos i have lost it now

good luck
Slot manager looks like it could be useful.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (****** Hairpiece @ 30 Jan 2004, 04:18 PM)Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Difflock, I do a lot of graphics design for websites so have a number of decent paint programs. Windoze MS Paint is not one of them

Glad to hear it!!

Mark.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have used Slot Manager as well. It works fine and you can add/edit your own sections as well. I actually added my own sections for my routed track that I am designing, so I could workout some initial design.

Coupled with the fact that it is giftware (as they call it on the site) and free, makes it all that more worthwhile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts