SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am a 40 yr old wannabe slot car driver and have always wanted my very own track. I played with the old 1/24 scale on my older brothers track ( 5 older brothers) and that track set was pretty well worn by the time I could get my hands on the controls. I do wonder if my wife and friends will think that I'm digressing back to my childhood years. I have brought up the fact to my friends of getting into slot cars and they give you this funny look? I think that is their first thought, but I think that they will become very competitive once they get their hands on the controller and start racing. I can't help it if I'm still a kid and love to have fun.
Following is my current situation with plenty of questions:
I do not currently have any slot car set-up and I'm looking to get your expert opinions as to go with Scalextric Sport or Digital? Remember that I don't have a track or any cars. My plan is to have a track that my friends and I can all race at one time. Here is some information to take into account: I don't have a very large area to work with and would like to keep the track to a 4 x 8-10ft area. Do you think that it would be worth it to just go ahead and go digital right away or start with sport and race two cars at a time. I don't have the space or want to have more than two lanes. I would still like to have the ability to race alone with something like the Challenger from Scalextric and wanted to know if the Digital had that feature? I have many questions and don't want to make a mistake of choosing the wrong track set-up. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your impute,

Skidmark

·
Registered
89 Posts
Skidmark Welcome to the forum! I am also fairly new and in my forty-somethings. The Sport track can always be upgraded to Digital, but if you plan on having more than one other racer , then you might want to start with the Digital system.

Don't worry about all the goofy looks you get when you tell people your in' to slot cars. Tell them it was recommended by your therapist to release your pent up rage to harm rude and ingnorant people.

By the way where are you from mate?

Zippideedoda

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Zippideedoda,
I come from the frozen tundra of Minnesota, USA. I am trying to collect as much information as I can and make the right choice in set-up. I hoping to get some of my friends and family involved in the hobby this winter. I think that this would be a good outlet during those long winter months. I want to get my mates involved in slot car racing and maybe have one night a week where we get together and have a race night. I am still not sure whether to go digital or sport, but I learned from my local hobby shop that the Formula One set could be around $350 US and then think about adding two more controllers, two more cars and lord knows what else? I love the idea of it and do have the funds, but don't want get into something that could be a disappointment. I don't have anything right now and I guess that a guy has to start somewhere. What do you think of F-1? Do you think that those cars will hold-up to the test or shall I say crashes? I love the looks of F-1, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks again for the reply and good luck to you in your getting started in this hobby.

SKIDMARK

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi from a fellow newbie. I'm also just getting started. I bought the Pro X system from carrera for the same reasons you listed(2 lanes, multiple people) but I would look into the scaly set first. They seem to have done more research on digital and worked the bugs out better.And most of the people on these forums agree they have a better setup.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Welcome Skidmark.

Being an early adopter of ANY new technology usually involves being a part of the 'test program' and often costs more money than expected with unsatisfactory results and possibly a bad taste left in the mouth. If money doesn't matter, then that doesn't matter either, but it does to most people.

My sincere advice to a newcomer is definitely NOT to start out in digital for a first buy.
This is very early days and there are many things to be ironed out before, or IF it ever becomes 'mainstream'. There really is some considerable doubt about that.

If you find you like slot racing, you can always convert to digital later when the bugs have been ironed out and you are more sure of what you want, armed with new found knowledge from boards such as this.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi Skidmark, I am a younger member of the forum at 14, and at this age when you tell people you are into slot cars you get ALLOT more funny looks and often the comment "didn't you give that up when you were 7?"

Even thought i am a younger member of the forum and would be expected to go for the more technological approach with digital I prefer the less advanced slot racing and take the "old school approach to racing".

My view is to stick to Scalextric sport track with the possibility to upgrade
later and buy one of each car from each of the highly recommended manufacturers like, Scalextric, SCX, Ninco, Fly, Vanquish, etc. If you are going to make a permanent track go for Ninco track as i have heard that Scalextric Sport wears out quickly with ALLOT of use.

Anyway, Welcome to the forum and i hope we can all help in any way we can just post the question and it Will get answered, great place slotforum.

Doug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the impute everyone,
It's great to hear that guy's like Doug at the age of 14 are into this hobby and not stuck in front of the TV with video games. Thanks for the advise Doug, I will take your advise into account . It's sound like I could lean towards the sport track and wait on the digital until after it has proven it self worthy. What does everyone think about the size of track that I should set-up? I was thinking of sticking to around a 4 x 8-10 ft in size, would that be good? If I go with the Scalextric sport and that's still being debated here, would it be worth it to go with the conventional set-up and add on the RMS with a pitstop in my set-up? It sounds like a lot of fun to run a race and have to manage your race strategy. So many things to consider, but that's half the fun with talk to you people and tapping into your ideas. Give the good feedback coming and don't hold back your opinions. Everyone on this forum is great and has a lot to share.

Frank

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Hi Skid, I am fairly new too, as I got my first Sport set for X-mas last year. I would go with the standard Sport set to start, as it is faily easy to convert to digital later. I have a 12'x5'4" (exactly two pieces of ply) 2 lane set up that is just under 50' running length and it is pretty good size, but you will want the biggest layout you can fit. I also recommend the Challenger as a great training device and a lot of fun for solo racing.

I also disagree about Sport track wearing out. The main problem I find is that the connections are easily damaged by trying to pick up assembled track sections. They can be fixed pretty easily with needle nose pliers, though. One thing that you will want right away is a set of Parma controllers, as the set ones aren't good. I would get 45ohm Parmas or Professor Motor electronic ones, if you can afford them. Good luck and have fun!

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
QUOTE What do you think of F-1? Do you think that those cars will hold-up to the test or shall I say crashes? I love the looks of F-1, but I'm open to suggestions.

Scalextic F1 cars look great but they are rather fragile. Your best bet (IMHO) is to go for the largest set you can find with 'normal' Sports/GT cars which tend to be a bit sturdier.

If you're anything like me, budget for some extra straights etc as well, because a standard 'set' track is never long enough.

Challenger is great fun, but isn't compatable with digital. But you don't have to decide about digital or sport world at the moment, your track will accept either (or both!) in the future.

Have fun,

Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback and I will take all your suggestions into consideration. I am still curious how big of a track that I will have to set-up? I was hoping to do a track on a 4 x 8 ft sheet of hardboard and set it on two sawhorses. That would be easier and maybe a good starting point. I am just not sure how much room I will need and hoping to get some feedback. It seems that many of you have some pretty good sized tracks, but I can't take up to much space in my basement. Looking forward to your feedback.

Frank

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Frank,

You can have a lot of fun with even a small simple layout. However, a greater variety of corners and straights will only add to the enjoyment.

Size isn't everything in Slot cars! My track had to fit into a very small area so isn't very long but it is still great fun, on my own or with friends. There are some pictures somewhere in the Track & Scenery forum.

The temptation can sometimes also be to squeeze as much track into your circuit as you can. This doesn't always result in the most fun design. My advice would be to plan as big a board as you think you can, and then try some different layouts for that space. Of course you may initially be limited by how much track you can afford and may want to leave room to expand later.

I have RMS and it is great but I am eagerly waiting Scalextric Sport World which should offer the same features and a lot more. Due Mid 2005.

Enjoy the planning!

JS

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello Frank...and welcome to slot forum.

Seems that you have received all the help and input you might "need". Be as it may...I would go for the Sport track and not the Digital dito. I myself use the old classic track system and I am very satisfied with that, and the sport system is supposed to be a bit better so I think that sport would be a good choice. The only problem I have with the classic system is to get new pieces of track, due to the fact that they are now getting hard to come by. Regarding the size of the track I agree with JS, I think it is better to start out "small" and then slowly expanding the track and scenery if so. My experience is that one tends many times to reach just a little bit too far, and this is (I think) ment to be relaxing and fun.

Anyway…good luck with your purchase and your future track

Cheers
Eric

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the welcome Larsson,
I can never get too much impute on what is best. What do you racers think of the Scalextric RMS ? I like the idea of the digital and being able to have all your friends racing at the same time, but not sure if it's too early in the game. How do you guys go about having races with friends? I would hate to have a few guys to my home for racing and most everyone is left standing there watching only two race. Love to hear how you guys manage to get everyone involved. I would love to have any feedback from anyone that has used the digital as well. Tell me what you think and I'm listening to what everyone has to say.

Frank

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Frank,
You must have more friends than me! In terms of friends I usually have only one round at a time but sometimes there are three of us. So deciding who races isn't often a problem! Don't forget that you might always need marshalls on the nasty corners which will keep the spare drivers busy!

RMS is great for managing a home race, but it won't work with digital.

I wasn't very inspired by digital when news of its release was first announced. However, I am getting more and more tempted as time goes by. The main reason for this is the enjoyment factor that reviewers rave about rather than being able to race more than two cars. Personally I am waiting until January to see what new features are going to be released next year, before I splash out.

I would echo what everyone else has said and build a Scalextric Sport track at the moment, then upgrade in the new year when the digital future might be slightly more clear. Just get racing and enjoy yourself!
JS

·
Registered
211 Posts
SKIDMARK

I have had scalextric set sets for 15 years now turned 30 in October.

I upgraded to Sports and never looked back.

I have also upgrade my 100 foot track in my loft to digital and it is the best thing ever not having to worry about lanes being the same lenght, or have to run races in both lanes so that thing are fair.

Go for Sport for now and then after Xmas go digital.

Digital is the way forward for the home racer.

Welcome and enjoy.

Hope this helps

ScalextricRacer

·
Registered
146 Posts
Since you are in the US you have three excellent choices; Artin - the most affordable, Carrera - the best but it takes up the most room & can be digital too, Scalextric - has the potential to go digital. Most people outside the US are not familiar with Artin's excellent 1/32 scale track. Many race sets do not have enough straight track to learn how to drive so make sure you have enough track to have a at least a six foot long straight track so you may need to purcahse extra straight track sections. I would also replace all of the cross-over track section since beginners just tend to run into each other with these track pieces.

As for digital racing I don't think it is really necessary especially for beginners. Most novices have enough to learn, I don't even like to see cross-over section or squeeze track section for beginners. So I think a straightforward traditional track that you can race side by side will provide the most fun. In other words a digital track with beginners would be carnage, the cars would be bashing into each other - A LOT!

What I recommend for novices is an oval track, a four lane oval if there are three or more racers. Many expect an oval to be a bit dull to race on, it's not (well it may be if you are alone). I know everyone wants to make a small layout of the Targa Florio but many potential beginners are intimidated by a complex track and you can't can't make it any more simple than an oval. An oval is a great track to learn how to drive and more importantly race on. A decent sized two or four lane oval can be installed in the space you have available. Both novices and enthusiasts will have a lot of fun racing side by side on an oval.

The F-1 cars are great but have too many small detail body parts that can be dislodged. Sedans, sports cars or stock cars are a much better choice.

For racing the most fun we have is just chasing each other during "crash and burn" races. Just try to keep up with the leader and if you crash or are lapped you are out. This makes for some very short races! We change lanes after each of these races. This makes for a great number of short races that teaches people how to race each other is a casual and fun atmosphere. There is no overall winner just a lot of good racing.

The Home Racing World webiste (www.HomeRacingWorld.com) has a lot of information for someone like yourself looking to make a wise choice.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi

I am new to the Forum, but have owned various Scalextric tracks for over 40 years now and love em. My son and 1 have over 60 cars from various manufacturers, but the majority are Scalextric because we prefer the way they handle on the track (personal view, as the others are good but different).

I would definitely recommend getting a standard Scalextric set (the largest you can find as it is the most economical) and then upgrade with the digital Lane Change set.

We have owned the Scaley digital set for two weeks now (the wife has removed it from my clutches as it is a Christmas present) and it is the most smooth, consistent and reliable set I have ever had. The computer has worked 100% spot on so far, and the lap counting is very accurate. It adds a whole new dimension of fun to the art of slot car racing

As for other peoples view - fellow males aged 3 to 75 (as my Dad still drives them) when you say you have a Scaley set their eyes light up and are deperate to have a go. As for the wife and her friends - who cares its their loss!

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (Larsson @ 22 Nov 2004, 19:01)... I myself use the old classic track system and I am very satisfied with that, and the sport system is supposed to be a bit better so I think that sport would be a good choice. The only problem I have with the classic system is to get new pieces of track, due to the fact that they are now getting hard to come by...

This thread is the kind of basic stuff I need too. This comment interested me (see quote above).
I've just got my hands on the family jewels (the box of miles of Scalextrics from 30 odd years ago!) - very battered, but as I remember with a clean, a screwdriver and a soldering iron (for loose wires on crossovers) it will come back to life, albeit a bit bumpy (but that adds to the skill!). I think the cars all died (I remember racing with no bodies at the end, just pieced together remains!

My questions relate to the 'Classic' vs Sport track mention above (assuming Classic means old like mine!):
Does this mean they don't connect (Classic & Sport)?
What is the difference?
Are there any conversion possibilities (should I need to)?
... and most importantly I'm about to buy a couple of new cars [I was thinking of a couple of Porsche GT3's] I am assuming they will run on the old classic track? Anything to be aware of when choosing a new car (not to expensive as its for my kids too).

Any help appreciated for another old fogey that never grew up (I'm doing it for the kids....honest!)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Sport and classic track cannot link to each other directly, but they do make a widely available adaptor piece to link them.

Scalextric cars will run fine on both sorts of track, although new cars will not work on the classic banked curve sections.

All other makes will work on Scalextric Sport, some other makes have deep guides that may need to be modified to work on Classic track.

If you get a new Sport powerbase and controllers, you will also have the benefit of dynamic brakes. Alternatively, you could get a digital powerbase and some LCs to go digital.... (or you could stick with the classic powerbase, that should work fine too!)

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Just a point worth mentioning, I think that reports of the demise of Classic track are greatly exaggerated.

See here

I realise they have not been seen in the UK yet but I feel that is only a matter of time.

Not too much to worry about though cristom, as adapter pieces are available from Classic to Sport and even Classic to Ninco if you want to upgrade to a quality track

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Mr.M

1 - 20 of 38 Posts