SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Thanks for the news, Gjb.
I had been thinking something like this was going on - Alan taking over Admin in the last week or so.
I don't think there is any harm in a Direct Link to Alan Smith's announcement at SCI.
Incidentally, for those that don't already know Alan Smith, he is actually English, but a staunch supporter and promoter of slot cars in the USA and has been resident there for some years.
I like him and wish him well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Tropi, we all thought something was going on.
I think this is important news as in a way Slotforum was born out of SCI and I did try and post this in our News section as it is of interest to a lot of people here.
The powers that be have put it here which means a lot of us wont see it.
Gjb52

·
Registered
186 Posts
I can kind of see the point of having it here as it's not really news about slot cars, but news about news about slot cars. and anyone who uses SCi will find out about it when they go there...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Plus if you look at new posts you'll come here. I posted the following reply at SCI:

QUOTE I think an important distinction to make is that the goal should be to support the economic growth of this section of the hobby in the United States rather than to push a particular nation's views over others. In the past some of the discussions have had a political aspect that have made others feel uncomfortable. It's ironic that most of the manufacturers come from outside the United States and some models are simply not available here. This will need to be handled carefully as we do not want to lose our friends from around the world.

I do agree with Alan than the future of the hobby in the United States requires more nurturing. If we grow the hobby in the United States and can get one or more "major" manufacturers to enter our hobby with both feet then this will have a profound impact on its future.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Cough.

QUOTE We will no longer permit the posting of links or continual chat about EBAY or the availability of product at different pricing from other markets.

Sheesh. And I had issues with Kenneth!

Guess he made a few bucks out of us after all.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
It is most unfortunate and, sadly, SCI will die a slow death as a result. The 1/32nd scale forum at Old Weird Herald used to be a great source of information and entertainment, until Paul Kassens was coerced into following a similar policy to the one now being imposed on the members of SCI, the very contributors who made it a great board. RIP, SCI.

Slotforum will continue to flourish as long as the basic principles of freedom of expression is allowed to continue.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi all,

I read the other boards but only post here. Let's just say I call Slot Forum my "Home Board".

Here's 2p worth of blab:

Open Fourms with restrictive posting rules often become closed forums pretty quickly!

Using Slot Forum is great because all I do is click on "today's active topics" and a list of current new and updated posts comes up (across all sub-forums) - Bril and a huge time saver!

SCi lost me a while back, around the time of Slot Forums birth, due to too much petty infighting and too many people trying to put their AUTHORITATIVE STAMP on the hobby! That and a couple of really stupid he said she said hissy fits being aired by select members.

I like boards because of the info I can find (News, tips, inspirational photos) that help me with my hobby - i don't have an agenda and I don't need one pushed on me!

To that end long live a free, open, and helpful Slot Forum.

Oh yeah, one more thing jingoistic nationalism with regard to the "flavour" and "focus" of a slot car board on the internet is just plain idiotic! (unless of course one is trying to restrict the information flow to direct commercial benefits to one's self...hmm!)

Internet = global connectivity = shared knowledge across the PLANET! Its the 21st century and the information age is here along with a global economy.

Ah for the old days of unmoderated public access non commecial usenet groups!

Cheers all, thanks for listening. I feel better now.

Ken R

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Just read some of the comments on SCI. Interesting stuff.

All I'll say is the worry that putting this in Pit Lane instead of News won't mean fewer people will see it because of the way the new items function works here. I certainly wouldn't read anything sinister into it.

Scott

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
QUOTE Guess he made a few bucks out of us after all

probably did in one way or another, I also didnt like Ken.. long story

but yep.. bye bye sci it's dead now, I thought it was gone when the brits/euro's left

too focused, the kings dead long live the king (SF
)

Rob.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have posted quite i few times on SCI. Used to love the place. Lately it seems to have lost its way. I like the "International " feel of this board. Great reviews and good humor to boot! Great board you have here.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (Russell Sheldon @ 25 Nov 2003, 07:49 PM)...

Slotforum will continue to flourish as long as the basic principles of freedom of expression is allowed to continue.
I couldn't imagine a different scenario.

This place will be as good as the contributions that are made to it. And up until now they have been excellent and I'm proud to have been part of it.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Hear hear, Dennis!

Alan has mentioned both Slot Forum and OWH as sites that he 'supports' and I feel this is an excellent thing for all of us. I don't anticipate SCI changing much if at all and it will settle down nicely in a little while. I would say that in a week or so, the surprise (for some) will be forgotten pretty well completely.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wish Ken, Alan and SCI well!

As most of you know I no longer venture over to read or post at SCI (only for my product updates, as I have a ad banner there) and you may know why.

I too have seen what Ken has discribed but only from one individual.

For me SCI was a very good board. It still is good. I don't see why it would be any different just because it was sold. But we will see.

For myself (as well as for many others) it did get tarnished by just one poster and it was not Moped.

Still since I truly love the hobby and have been promoting Scale slot cars, or better said "True Scale" slot cars building and racing here in the US since the 1980's I am thankful to all slot boards where we can go to read and write about our hobby.

It has been through some info on these boards that I have been able to help with some of my work for customers.

Something that I have enjoyed learning even though I realized long ago that board readers and posters represent only about 5% of the hobby as a whole.
Victor Ferguson

1 - 20 of 22 Posts