SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
Yeah, nah. I generally don't like fjor-dahs and I don't like this one.

And yet....

But I can resist. The Motorcraft livery might require more of an effort but I think I'll nail it.

I suspect Sideways will do very well with this mould, mind. Which is nice.

Reactions: longdog

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention two new releases ...

A new livery for the Lambo, Attempto racing from the 2016 24h of Spa ...

Too bad ... That livery in real life was spectacular but the livery of the model is not accurate. The lighter shade of blue should have been chrome plated ...

The other new livery is this Lancia Beta MonteCarlo from Le Mans 1982

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Correct for the Attempto racing livery, especially that Sideways already made chrome plated liveries, why not this one?

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
I can live without the chrome plated bodywork, I think it looks good in blue.

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
The Huracan does look mighty fine as is but I think I saw that one at Silverstone and chromed up in the rare summer sun it was resplendent and bright as a button.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
'Chrome' finish is very new to me, chaps. Is it the result of wrapping plastic around a bodyshell, or sprayed on by the usual methods from traditional sources, please?

Last week when driving home from a trip to buy groceries, I spotted a car coming towards me at high speed. It was in very shiny, chrome green. With lowered suspension, enormous wheels, matte black grille and none of the traditional marks of identification, I failed to recognize the factory from which it originated.

Vauxhall in Luton seemed a likely candidate. Shiny chrome! The latest fad?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am no expert, but I've already seen chrome paint spray in shops, so my guess it is basically the same as another spray, maybe more difficult to apply ?

·
Premium Member
5,558 Posts
It is some kinda paint in those Molotow chrome pens, isn't it? I would think 1:1s use a wrap, mind. I somehow see that as easier for them. Note, I have no evidence to back up this theory.🙄

I was quite pleased recently when I put Tamiya Clear Blue over some Molotow chrome for a little fella's visor and got a pleasing kinda chrome-blue effect. Which was nice.

Reactions: GRUNZ

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
i can't comment on the sideways cars, but i can about chrome plating a Scalextric car?

Our method is that it is a paint finish applied by the factory. First and second samples nearly always appear as above, in a flat colour, not chrome. So you may find that the finished models from Sideways are indeed chromed?

the factory HATE doing chrome cars, really hate it. It is very difficult to apply, and the wastage on it is huge. It also limits the number of colours you can do on a car, so if it is half chrome blue and half chrome red this would be very tough for them to achieve.

It also has a BIG impact on cost to us, our margin on chrome cars is much reduced.

Does look cool on racing cars though. Not so much on the road.

hope this helps.

Simon

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Hello Simon,

Thank you for your openess regarding the painting process and cost impact.
The Sideways car is as the picture, althrough is not chome blue, it is still nice to having it like that.

Regarding the cost, I wouldn't mind to pay the extra if it is required to get the wanted finish.
With transparency as you did, most customers would understand that specific liveries are more costy, I think.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for your input Simon,

I remember reading that you had a few headaches with the Jordan BTCC BMW, but the one we got in the end was beautiful, just like the British GT AMG GT3 or the IMSA AMG GT3. I did not know it had such a huge impact on the production cost.

Like Atobit, I would be ready to pay an extra if I can get an accurate livery.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thanks guys. The issue then for a brand like ours is that the average consumer you have cars at £42.99 and then the same car, albeit a shiny one, at say £45.99. Which some may not quite get. The bigger issue is the reluctance of the factories to do it if i am honest!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts