SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People
The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday the 26 March
after the last one which turned into a test session for the new stuff..
Bring F1 and Nascar with you and we can decide on the night which or both
Can we have some names up

JIM S

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we have a list of of four defo

Jim S..
Dave H...
Callum N...
**** R

Dave { I wont commit } Peters as a maybe..

I have text the three who came last time from Dartford
Also text yet another Dave from Bromley who emailed me..

lets hope .....Jim.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well with the attendance of a hard core of 4 we did manage an hours racing ..
We are still having issues with both timing systems at the moment the original system has blue lane intermittent reading problem.nothing to bad
and Dave H with a new rather silk setup needs a small amount of fine tuning, but nothing which cant be sorted..
But you cant spend all night tinkering with them, or you dont get any racing done .
Anyway we got 1 hour of F1 and results were. my good self with the win..
BEST THREE LANE TOTALS

JIM. S 85 laps
****. R 84 laps
DAVE. H 81 laps
CALLUM. N 75 laps

The new track barriers although nice were a little bit on the hard side and did inflict some damage on the cars
but I have the answer to that..

Thanks to all for your words of support...onward and upwards
next meeting Thursday 9 April.. 7pm
cheers JIM..

1,488 Posts
Good to see who you thought would turn up did Jim, from little acorns oak trees grow etc....

Keep up the good work and I am sure HONK will blossom again we are all routing for you

We will have to try and get to a race sometime this year

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Jim - Whilst it is a pity none of the new faces we were hoping for showed up we can only keep plugging away.

I will keep looking for locals and reminding them of dates. At some point the club's effort's will pay off.

See you on the 9th.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi Jim

Good to hear you guys are up and running, having regular meetings however many attend can only help in the long run.

Reference your lap counting issues, are you coming to Gaydon? I know your club will be represented in the HO Zone anyway and on the manufacturer supported track Clive and I intend to run a couple of lap timing technologies in the sensing, processing and output stage as a bit of an HO specific 'lap timing showcase' as Clive called it. One of the things we are going to experiment with are the reflective sensors you guys tried. I also hope to have a working mock up of a low cost controller adaptor/conversion for the MG+ should be cool.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe The infra LED and under track sensor system may just need the a little bit of alignment, because the light bridge is a copy of the one
that was lost, and that one was bullet proof...
I know the LED shine straight down and to one side at about 45 degrees so a little bit of push and shove { real tech stuff} should do it .
It was reading more than not ..then not all..the track sensor had moved once I get it spot on I will fix it all in place..
I do like this set up once it set right like last one.. its plug and play..

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I believe Dave wants to pursue bridges/gantries because they allow for live starts (as do, for what it is worth, the gantry-less hall sensors used by SCHORC), and this is something I have supported him in since the days of HONK HQ.

At the same time Gareth, who has his own timing project set to go, has put forward the theory there might be a way to combine jump start detection with dead strips, so that is interesting.

Clive's stuff (as always) looks promising.

Perhaps, as Marc suggests, those of us 'Eahorcers' working on this stuff should talk about it at length at Gaydon, make the research more ''directed''.

Are you up for that Jim? I might even have a spare ticket for the Sunday....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jim
A couple of things spring to mind....

If you have problems aligning the track sensors and bridge emitters there are a couple of things you can try instead of a ruler and making sure both bits look/emit
vertically in both planes.

Firstly digital cameras (and this probably includes phones) will show IR light on the screen so you should be able to see where the emitter is pointed or if it is weak.

Secondly you could, with Trackmate running, use a meter to check the voltage across the sensor when it is unobtsructed. The lower the voltage the more light it is receiving which is what you want. You could then compare it with the others as well as adjusting to get the best alignment. Do it with minimal ambient light as the sensors will also to a certain extent detect the visual spectrum. Note that you will not get zero volts, depending on the sensor, 0.3 volts at best. Alignment that gives you a low of 2 volts or less should be OK.

As long as the alignment is correct there is no reason why you can't use Dave's reflective system to provide the IR for your sensors in the track. Then you could run two timing systems with one bridge. You could also check for consistency as they should both detect at the same time, near as damnit.

Hope this helps.

Clive

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well Clive
That,s an interesting idea using one light bridge to run both systems...that,s if the wavelengths are close. I know the receiver are 940nm at their optimum
and there is a bit of play either side of that.

I do have my bridge here at home so can use my phone to look at emitter alignment, but I do think it is the receiver on the blue
lane, at the next meet I will bring the track sections home if I cant sort it there..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.