looking to buy another car
any ideas on my next purchase
criteria home track scalextric sport 4
anything that will give a fly viper a good run
my son has the viper and i need to beat him just once

kev an the lil one connor

See less See more
#4 ·
dont have the fly viper either - but when I recently run a scalextrack the mg lola was definitively a fast car on my home track... it runs well on other (plastic) track as well. Have not tested any of the scalex F1 though...

//peter

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
if ya got a 35ohm controller then a scaley single seat racer stick a 35k motor in it pack the back of the car with as much mags as ya got (mine runs 2 button mags 2 cylinder a proslot bar and the mags thats already in it) then take a drill to the chassis and hack the whole thing up and ya gat a car that ran a 3.3 on its first lap out after modding my stock lola runs about 5sec my gt40 with the mag moved back and the tyres sanded right down runs about a 4.3-4.5 average... thsi thing'll gives any RTR car that i raced on scaley sport track a good spanking!!!

EDIT:and it only cost £25

#7 ·
I'm waiting for my Fly Lola B98/10 Motorola to arrive soon. Lotus recommended this one to me earlier, but I haven't gotten around to ordering it earlier.
The Lolas are supposed to be quick, and this one has the Fly Racing motor as standard. If you don't want to modify a car then this might be an option.

#8 ·
Damn straight!

The Fly Lola B98 Motorola is the BEST car out of the box. Literally take it out, and put it on the track. Don't even touch your screw driver!

Should give you an edge, but not too much on a home track.

Lotus

PS. Don't believe any of that single seater malarky... It's not worth the extreme hassle. Plus people will stop talking to you on SF, lol

#11 ·
QUOTE (kevin hunter @ 5 Apr 2004, 14:56)looking to buy another car
any ideas on my next purchase
criteria home track scalextric sport 4
anything that will give a fly viper a good run
my son has the viper and i need to beat him just once

Why not by an FLY MArcos LM600???
Lots of power and grip and the handling is superb

#12 ·
Couldnt agree more Catman,
I absolutely love my Marcos and always go back to it again and again. Similarly my Venturi after a fair bit of tinkering runs just as well if not better.Both can give a Viper a run for there money.

But I'd also agree the Lola B98's are rapid. I bought a standard one the other day and within 20 laps on my 20 metre track it had equalled my lap record. I must also point out it was also running like a tank. Everything that could rub was rubbing but it was damn fast.On my car test bench at work at 8 volts it was drawing 0.54 amps.After about 10 minutes of tuning it was drawing a mear 0.13 amps.

I'm yet to try it out again but can only see it getting quicker now i've ironed out the hideous noises it was making

#14 ·
I had a look at most of them and found that the motorola one was the only one that had the Racing motor. I think they also do the Motorola one with a standard motor as well. I chose a standard one so that when racing my friends wouldnt complain that I had some super motor in the car.

Because your using Sport track I'd be prepared for the Marcos and Lola to struggle for grip as mine hate the few sections of Sport that i use.I've found Fly tyres to not be the best on Sport Track so do tend to swap them.

#15 ·
As another suggestion, why not go for the Lister Storm from Fly? I haven't tried a Viper but my Lister is running nicely with a friends Marcos, so they are in the same league. I run them without mags though, so I don't know how they run with them in. I have acctually found that the tires hook up well on sport track with a little bit of added weight (and lots of running to get the track well run in). There is of course the looks thing with the Lister though, you either love it or hate it. But I really enjoy mine!

Toby

#16 ·
From what I can see the Motorola (A505) is the only Lola B98/10 currently with the racing motor as standard (not including the forthcoming racing versions).
Check the listing over different liveries at LES Cars.

I run only on Sport track, and there seems to be variations on how the Fly tires perform. Out of the box my Marcos didn't perform very well, but after I changed the rear axle and tires (due to a stripped crown gear) it was great!
The new tires seem to be exactly the same as the old ones, so I guess they are so much better because the tires were "fresh".
But ,unfortunately, even with the new tires my Marcos is no match for a Viper with equally good tires... At least this is the case on our club track, but it might be more even on a home circuit.
Still haven't received my Lola, so I can't say how it performs yet (¤%¤ slow postal service here!).

#17 ·
Fly tyres come in four different compounds: A, B, C and D.

I think A is the softest 'racing' tyre and D is the hardest 'plastic' tyre, lol.

You may find that your replacement axel had a softer compound of tyre on them. This certainly would halp on Sport track. Although I can only distinguish between A & B/C and D and B/C.

lotus

#18 ·
ok so on the advice of you lot in here ive gone and got meself a fly lola b98/10 the coca cola liveried one

any advice on makin this lil beauty fly <ive just got to beat the lil ones viper>
havent tried it yet ill do that tonight but any thoughts greatfully received as im sick of beaing beaten by an 8 yr old

any advice also on how to stop buying slot cars the missus has asked

better to beg for forgiveness that ask for permission !!!

#20 ·
For close racing I reckon nearly all those mentioned above will do the job. It`s just my opinion but I cannot see the fun in racing cars out of class with each other? By keeping them like for like then you will have a ball and Tropi is right and it`s logical, run two Vipers and you`ll be side by side. You don`t always need variety but if you do It`s perhaps a good idea to keep them in the same class, in this case GT types.

#21 ·
I had a look at the different tyre types that Lotus mentioned and according to Pendles you've got it the wrong way round it is as follows:

TYPE A HARD COMPOUND
TYPE B MEDIUM HARD
TYPE C MEDIUM SOFT
TYPE D SOFT COMPOUND
Think I may try out some D compounds and see how they go.

Kevin, The things wrong I noticed with mine since getting it (only had it 4 days) which have made it much better\quicker are the following:

Its fitted with a Deeper racing guide.This was causing it to catch inside the rails on my Classic Scalextric track.On the few Sport pieces I use it seemed fine. So i've now swapped this for a standard Fly guide and it is so much smoother.
I found the motor was sticking out below the Chassis underpan and catching on the track joins.
The front 2 screws were also sticking out below the underpan instead of flush with the bottom of the car.
The rear tyres rubbed on the inside edge of the underpan even though there was almost no play in the read axle.
With the back screws done up only slightly the Crown Gear was rubbing on the inside of the Shell.

Your's could suffer from none of these but these are a few things to look out for to help beat your son.

#24 ·
I didn't know about the different Fly tyre compounds. As you say, Lotus, it probably was a different compound in the new tyres.
I checked on Pendle also, so that some other of my Fly cars could get be "reborn" with tyres better suited for Sport track, but I can only find the different compound tyres listed under "Fly Racer Spares"... What cars does these tyres fit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.