SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Kev, would you mind if I moved these over to Vintage?

Remember that "Circuit 24" is like Scalextric in England - it's become the generic word in French for slot cars! Lot of info here in France, and I've probably posted some more over the years on SF, but this could be the kickoff for a thread on C24...

They were also distributed by Meccano in the UK, and I believe Polk's or somebody tried to do the same in the USA, but they never really succeeded!

Don

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No bother Don.
I like the look of Circuit24. I`ve got a light blue Panhard,a Ford GT & a couple of single seaters. Very well put together little cars.
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
In fact Lloyd, Circuit 24 never claimed they were 1/32 - they were one of the few manufacturers that actually advertised their cars at the actual scale, 1/30, even tho they may have been even a bit bigger than that.

The big tie-in was of course the Le Mans 24 hour race, and that was a marketing stroke of genius! At the time they came out, 1962, 1/24 barely existed as a commercial scale.

They were also marketed as indestructible, and the inventor's son, Dominique Jouet, tells the story of how, when he was 3 years old in 1960, his father gave him the prototypes and a controller and let him crash the cars into the wall as much as he wanted, to test their indestructibility!

Because of their vibrator motor, they were, and are!, the noisiest cars around. You haven't lived till you've seen a race with 6 of them at a time.

Don

·
Registered
625 Posts
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 23 Apr 2012, 21:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just got these two Ferraris.
Both in lovely nick & display nicely on the layout . Made by Circuit 24 during the `60s.
Cheers,
Kev.

Why is my eye drawn to what's going on round about the featured cars?

Great stuff loosesalute.

·
redstar
1,574 Posts
Very nice cars KEV. The National Toys Ferrari is almost identical. These cars really are exciting to run because of the sound the AC motors make. Don,Polks did sell them & they were not successful. I like the Panhards the best. The later cars were DCmotors. Bernard

·
redstar
1,574 Posts
Hi Kev,heres 3 photos of the C24 Ferrari & the National Toys Ferrari just to compare. They are very close but not the same. I think the C24came first. Thanks,Bernard

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Not quite, but very subtle differences!

I think National Toys copies another French model or two... and they had some very interesting early cars (hint, hint Bernard...).

Don

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
A few more C24 cars, starting with the 1/24 BRM actually made by GGN in Germnay...

Chaparral 2F (missing flipper, as usual) and Ford GT)

A blue Cooper, in an undeterminate scale...

The Go-Kart

A Panhard, one of their classics, along with the Testa Rossa, and maybe the only slot version made, at least it was for a long time before the resins came!

And one of their last releases, a Porsche 917.. Don't have a photo of one of the DC chassis in stock, but they used Buhler motors, and you can see a glimpse of it through the body here.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
A Meccano ad from England and a Circuit 24 ad from Tintin magazine with all the big French stars of the time, even Johnny!

PS: if you want to know who Harald Nicholas is, look on YouTube for the Nicholas Brothers...

Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts