SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We run a club class for box standard Ninco 1s, and have found that while the sleek and low Corvette looks pretty enough, it has a horrible habit of going straight on at all and any bends presented to it. I think it's simply the front wheels levering the guide out... but 'tis a vexing little quirk that seems to affect all the models (we've got a yellow, black and police version running in the class).

In fact the only one that has stayed in the slot consistently is the odd biscuit box-like Chevrolet WTCC fantasy thingy. The Mustang is just about raceable too.

Has anyone had similar experiences? And what are the newer and even prettier cars like - the Lambo, Mercedes SLS and Megane?

Is the Ninco 1 formula that pretty cars don't go well and the butt ugly ones do?

All thoughts welcome...

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have most of this series & have not had this type of problem, except on a rallycross track I built last year. There were minor elevation changes that may have contributed to it, nut whenn the cars were run in the opposite direction there was no problem.
So far the only issue I've encountered has been an occasional out-of-round wheel or excessive flashing on a wheel. My Corvette runs like a dream.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, thanks martini917k. Glad your Vette is running well for you too

It's a fairly bumpy Ninco track that we run on, not many elevation changes but some little quirks that can catch quite a few cars out non-magnet. We run the Ninco 1s with their magnets in and it doesn't matter if you're going flat out or cruising, you can guarantee that the Vettes will be cuddling up to the barriers within a couple of laps and makes it a fairly frustrating class for many of us.

I've trued the tyres, shaved the fronts down and even added weight up front but nothing seems to keep them on the track. Ordinarily I'd assume it was just me, but in this case not! On the whole I think Ninco 1 is a great format for slot cars - it's a pleasant change to have low power motors and I really like the look of the yellow Megane and the new SLS.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have a lot of NINCO 1 slot cars including the Corvette and the Corvette is currently the fastest of my NINCO 1 fleet.

The first thing that I do is install the NINCO #80112 ProRace suspension guide w/ ProRace braids on each NINCO 1 slot car. This should improve the handling of the cars significantly. It also helps to true down the front tires a lot on the Corvette to lower the overall diameter of the front tires.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (bswan72 @ 10 Feb 2012, 16:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a lot of NINCO 1 slot cars including the Corvette and the Corvette is currently the fastest of my NINCO 1 fleet.

The first thing that I do is install the NINCO #80112 ProRace suspension guide w/ ProRace braids on each NINCO 1 slot car. This should improve the handling of the cars significantly. It also helps to true down the front tires a lot on the Corvette to lower the overall diameter of the front tires.

Best regards,
Brian

Thanks Brian,

That sounds like the perfect fix to get the most out of them. Unfortunately at the club we have to run what came in the box when it left the factory! The front tyre fix is do-able, but mine are already down to wafer thickness... maybe we should raise the guide swap at the next AGM?

·
Registered
911 Posts
If the club will allow the guide change, it will make a world of difference on how the NINCO 1 slot cars perform on a NINCO track.

If you have to get by with using the stock guide, be sure the braid is up against the bottom of the guide and try gently stretching the spring to provide more tension of the guide to the slot.

I found that the NINCO 1 Corvette body posts can sometimes clamp to the chassis. I used some fine grit sandpaper, to sand the outside of the body posts so that the body can have some float (if the body screws are loosened).

Just this week, I filled in the area right behind the guide post with about 2 to 3 grams of Tungsten putty which seemed to improve the lap times when racing my NINCO 1 Corvette without the traction magnet.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (bswan72 @ 10 Feb 2012, 16:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If the club will allow the guide change, it will make a world of difference on how the NINCO 1 slot cars perform on a NINCO track.

If you have to get by with using the stock guide, be sure the braid is up against the bottom of the guide and try gently stretching the spring to provide more tension of the guide to the slot.

I found that the NINCO 1 Corvette body posts can sometimes clamp to the chassis. I used some fine grit sandpaper, to sand the outside of the body posts so that the body can have some float (if the body screws are loosened).

Just this week, I filled in the area right behind the guide post with about 2 to 3 grams of Tungsten putty which seemed to improve the lap times when racing my NINCO 1 Corvette without the traction magnet.

Best regards,
Brian

I'm liking all of these fixes Brian! I reckon even wothout the pro guide, it might be possible to convince the original collection of parts to circulate more reliably!

·
Registered
911 Posts
If you are allowed at the club to switch the braid on the stock guide, it will help to use a softer braid.

Please keep us updated on how the tuning goes. I run the NINCO 1 slot cars quite a bit and find them to be a lot of fun to drive.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Not sure what I'm adding to this thread except corroboration...I have a large collection of Ninco classics/NC-1 mostly...And among a group that all handle really well IMO, the Corvette is hands down the fastest. I've left the NC-5 in mine, but it flies through the turns as well as the straights. Btw...lots of tight turns and elevation changes on my track, but wood not plastic.

John

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (bswan72 @ 10 Feb 2012, 18:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you are allowed at the club to switch the braid on the stock guide, it will help to use a softer braid.

Please keep us updated on how the tuning goes. I run the NINCO 1 slot cars quite a bit and find them to be a lot of fun to drive.

Best regards,
Brian

I took the plunge and bought the Megane on spedial offer... the metallic yellow 'show car' version.

What a lovely little car! Only oiled it and ran it in gently on my home loop before taking it for a test session at the club - the little tyke went like a bullet and logged a 9.56s lap, with consistent 9.7s and no spills. Ninco 1 might seem an odd choice for a club class, with lots of magnet and precious little grunt, but variety is the spice of life and all that.

I think the age-old rule still applies: if you can make it fast without the magnet, it will fly when you put it back in. However, at this moment in time I'm loathe to upset what seems like a genuinely good car OTB.

Ninco seems to have learned a lesson, as the front tyres are low profile (the proverbial *** paper springs to mind) and sat them on some slightly smaller rims than you'll find the rear. This seems to have bypassed any nasty wheel/guide arguments and has produced a rock solid runner. Certainly it's one of my prettiest cars and, once you've got it into a corner, you can jump on the gas and it digs in and goes. Completely happy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts