SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
There's really not a massive difference between the NC2 and NC5 specs. His Lordship runs his Healey hardtop (NC5) against my NC2 Healey roadster. Hard to know if its handling issues are due to his tuning or the more powerful motor.

Embs

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
I think it was a mistake on Nincos part to put the NC-5 in these classics. I got excited when the announced the 550 Porsche with an NC-8 in it and then they came out with the NC-5 (or NC-9 can't recall)

Having said that, with a little bit of tuning the cars go fine with the NC-5, yes they are overpowered but I don't mind how my 2 Corvettes run. My biggest gripe is I can't race them against other classics that have NC1/Nc8 in them, my plan is to swap them for some lower powered motors eventually.

cheers
DM

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
I can't remember what you run in Ninco Vintage, Nick, but if you get one of the Donny Jags and try it you can always bracket an NC1/8 in there if it is too much for Farnham's twists and turns.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Hi Jim,

I've never run anything in that class, as it hasn't come up since I joined! I've got an NC-8 XK120 that's been repainted and an E-Type, but the narrow track and front motor don't inspire too much confidence in the curvy coupe.

At £24 a throw, however, maybe it's worth stocking up on some NC-5 cars anyway. Pretty, in a wi-i-ide sort of way!

·
Registered
834 Posts
just ran this class last night, but we dropped down to 10v

made for decent racing, I just don't like dropping the voltage down that far, it seems to effect response a little

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I've not got a huge amount of experience with these cars but we keep the motors fairly low powered at Bearwood Scalextric Club in this class.

2 main reasons:

1. If classic cars are zipping around like a Mosler it just doesn't look right.
  2. The high centre of gravity and skinny tyres make the chassis very hard to control and less driveable.

Extra power is not always the answer.

·
Gerald Lambourn
999 Posts
I upgraded an XK120 with the conrad 25k motor, high mag force on this one, and Yellow dog tyres, it runs really well, just a bit more demanding than the standard car with NC-1 etc. GeraldL

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i run NC5,s on 12v. their a lot slower at this voltage, but you can take advantage from the high torque, on the standard 3-1 gearing they punch out of corners well but you lose out on the straights. john

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see that the soon-to-be-released red and black Healey's got the NC-12 - is that good or bad?!?

Did that little red Porsche 550 that came out recently really have an NC-5 in it? Sounds a bit bonkers!

It would be nice to have a resource somewhere to show which classics have been released with which motors.

We only turn down the power for skinny motors - MRRC classics and Scalextric 1950s/1960s. The Nincos have always run at full juice I think as a legacy of the good old days of NC-1.

Sounds to me like a chunky motor is going to be the only way to go running all Ninco Classics together non-mag at the club.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
Pendle lists the motors in their Ninco archive pages.

The 550 was announced as having an NC-8 in it the crowd rejoiced so they released it with an NC-9 in it
The Lotus Exige has an NC-9 in it the motor suits that car.
NINCO NC-9 (FK-130) [16,216 RPM/12v] 20,000 RPM/14.8v - very similar to the NC-5 just not as much torque 145 gcm vs 290 gcm
basically it is a short can NC-5

As for the NC-12

Here are the specs on the NC-12
NINCO NC-12 (FK-180) [19,054 RPM/12v] 23,500 RPM/14.8v

compared to NC-5
NINCO NC-5 (FK-180) [16,216 RPM/12v] 20,000 RPM/14.8v

I think that answers your question....

There are a couple of NC-1 spec motors available as replacements from $4-$7 each. I am planning on replacing my NC-5s with them at $4 each it isn't a big sting, particularly as I picked up the Cobra on special.

cheers
David

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Hi,
I only recently got a Ninco XK120 with NC5 and on my track which is all mainly all twists and turns and a couple of short straights I find it is one of the easyist cars to drive. Then I change the controler I was using and it was a nightmare. My normal controler in a Ninco one that came with my World Rally set and I think it is about 65 ohms and due to the design of my track I never use mush more than 3/4 throtle. This set up suits most of my cars and track, Pioneer Mustang, AutoArt Evo VI, Revell Mk1 Cortina and Power Slot VW Polo. However I also have to use a low ohms controller (Artin that came with the track) for my SCX Mini and while all the other cars are ok with this the XK120 became almost undrivable.
So is the NC5 like a two-stroke motorbike engine with all the power in the top of the rev band and if you use a controller that lets you use the lower revs with easy then it's perfectly ok?

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
QUOTE (dangermouse @ 15 Sep 2012, 01:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are a couple of NC-1 spec motors available as replacements from $4-$7 each. I am planning on replacing my NC-5s with them at $4 each it isn't a big sting, particularly as I picked up the Cobra on special.

hi, David
Can you share with us where you're finding those NC-1 spec motors?

thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Thanks guys. Sounds like the NC-5 is a better bet than the NC-12. In fact the NC-12 sounds bonkers (in this application).

I think we all agree that the NC-1 was a gem of a motor and made all cars a pleasure. I loved the Peugeot 306 Maxi with that one in.

The NC-2 was a bit of a brute, the NC-8 is a halfway house, the NC-9 is a bit too much, the NC-5 much too much and the NC-12 is barmy. But in a straight race you'd probably have to go with the NC-2 or NC-5... just not in the little Porsches. Or the Cobra. And the Healey's a handful.

Comes to something when you look back on the old NC-2 with rose-tinted specs!

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
I would definately take the NC2. I replaces two NC5 's coz the cars were humping and no fun at a twisty track. always thought it could be done better with another controller/throttle Ohm-perage but I gave up. enter NC2..........way better and with a little lead added so much more fun.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
This is one of those threads that makes me wonder. Just what voltages do folks run at? 12v is fairly standard for 1/32 hoem tracks in Australia or at least those not running from set wall warts. Been known to run classic style cars at 10v.

NC2s have been the motor of choice for the OzRally proxy for the last couple of seasons. The NC1 is a little bit lack luster in comparison, but the NC5 is a bit lively. The NC8 sits between the 1 and the 2.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts