SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Got two Ninco go karts that I bought a few years ago.They have been on pension for most of the time until I decided to put them back to work the other day.
Both have the same problem.
If you quickly floor the throttle from a standing start the rear end of the kart hops up and down like a mad thing before the kart decides its time to race. This crazy behaviour happens 99 times out of a 100.I sanded the rear tyres slightly to try and improve the grip but the problem remains

Has any one else experienced the same thing? ...and is there a cure or is it one of those things that one has to live with

Cheers
Bryan

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
The way to get "body rock" on these karts is to loosen the driver. By making him rather mobile in his seat will improve the handling a lot.

Also make sure your rear bushings are good and healthy and the axle isn't slopping around.

I don't think (if I remember) there's any need to glue the motor in.

ABBO

·
David H
3,724 Posts
I can't offer any help, but I have two Ninco karts and have experienced the same thing with only one of them. The other runs smoothly. I didn't bother spending any time trying to cure it, but my suspicion is that the wheels aren't true, which causes a vibration that the flexible chassis can't cope with, allowing it to bounce much like an undamped spring would. Try truing the tyres and possibly adding some chassis stiffening braces.

If the tyres and wheels are true, it might be the slot car equivalent of a leaf sprung car's axle tramp, i.e, the tyre grips, winds up the leaf springs/axle (which in this case would be the flexible chassis), breaks traction, the spring/axle (kart chassis) unwinds itself, the tyre grips again and so on until speed is gained to a point where wheel-spin stops. On a 1:1 car you'd add radius arms or similar locating devices to the axle, so by stiffening the kart chassis you may well significantly decrease the tramping (or hop, as you call it).

·
Mark
735 Posts
check that the axle is straight too, my caterham axle was bent and had a wonky wheel lol wasn't too bad till u made the thing go! lol

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
As ABBO said loosening the driver is the trick they should go pretty well other than that unless you run them at high voltage

I wish Ninco would release some more.

DM

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
QUOTE I've got ten of these karts and have never had this problem once.

My four are all fine too.

ABBO

·
Registered
872 Posts
ninco bearings were a bit hit and miss at the time they produced these.... change the bearing and glue them in place
i remember the NINCO F1 that were produced at about the same time used to go like rockets the first time you had them on the track and then they went progressively downhill... changing bearings used to solve it
peter

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Fellas,

Thanks for all the pointers.
My Birel and Tony Cart go karts are no longer hopping mad.
You are wizards.I loosened the screw in the drivers backside a tad and it has done the trick.
Perhaps it was the drivers way of telling me " You are a pain in the ass""

Driving these karts is quite tricky but once you understand them they are loads of fun.

The only thing though is, I think they were designed for the wider Ninco track because if you accelerate a bit too hard out of a corner they sometimes side swipe the barriers on my classic track and get derailed.

Baie dankie en alles van die beste.(Afrikaans for thanks and all the best)

Bryan

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
I loosened the screw in the drivers backside a tad and it has done the trick

I would say that would fix a whole range of problems

Good to hear they are going better. They do hang out a bit.

cheers
DM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts