SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Heres a dummies guide for the Ninco XLC. Enjoy.

Stage one, mark out the LED holes.

Make the hole 12mm offset as shown. Use 6mm for slow parts of the track, 7mm for average speeds, 8mm for high speed.

Next hot glue the LB in place using 4 small dobs of glue onto the LB then placing on track. Make sure you leave room for the LEDs.
Note all the Lane 1 wires going towards Lane 1 and the same for Lane 2.
Use hotglue to fix neatly in place. Shorten wires to ensure a neat installation.

Next use sidecutters to trim the LED PCB to allow the LED to be centred correctly.

Tip: Not shown but use the offcut to pack the LED 1.6 mm (thickness of PCB) deeper in the hole. Glue packer to LED PCB then glue PCB to track undrerside.

Next hot glue into place the 2 Lane Change and the 2 Anti Collision LED PCBs

Next solder in the solenoid driver wires. Use fine sandpaper to remove varnish of solenoid winding wires so solder can adhere. Use hotglue to fix wires in place so they cannot short.
Wires for solenoids are not polarity sensitive so solder in any order.

'
Next glue in the reset switch so it can be quickly accessed. Extend if required. Here a dremel was used to cut a slot to pass the wires.

Next "liven" the flipper.

Split the liven flipper wire so it it can be wired to the flipper itself and the section after the flipper, often where cars get stranded.

Note: Yellow wire is silicon wire. Solder to copper tape.

Now use a short loop of wire (red in the pictures) to 'liven' the deasdstrip. No more deadstrips, yay!

Wire poking through ready to copper tape.

Now add copper tape. Reinstall the solenoid cover.

Now program the ID, ready to use.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Profoxcq,
By the way I forgot to mention I removed the unused solenoid wires off the PCB by desoldering them.

The principle of the install for the Carrera LC is the same.

And similar too for SSD, the only difference is connecting the solenoids that allow the car to pass "straight'.

Rick

·
Registered
636 Posts
That tutorial came just in time! Great.

One question. I do not understand that:
ZITAT(injectorman @ 12 Jun 2011, 11:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[...]
Tip: Not shown but use the offcut to pack the LED 1.6 mm (thickness of PCB) deeper in the hole. Glue packer to LED PCB then glue PCB to track undrerside.
[...]

Shall I use the offcut to get more distance between LED and beacon?
What is a good / the best distance between LED and beacon?

Regards,
Diegu

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Ok just to clarify the LED is what I call a beacon.
So the critical distances are:
1)LED beacon to tip of flipper
. Answer 160mm on average, but can be increased up to say 250 mm for EXTREMELY fast sectiuons of the track.

2)The distance the eye of the LED below the track surface. Generally speaking 4mm. Hence why you need to shim or pack the LED PCBs.
I will show a pic later on this.

Originally the LED PCB was designed around a double sided tape install, which is thick enough to "pack" the LED to the correct depth below track surface. However double sided tape I realised is messy, ie it doesnt come off easily and leaves everything looking terrible. Hot glue on the other hand, if you make an error just let it cool and peel off, it looks new again ready to try again. Its the ONLY way to go. Its cheap, easy, quick, strong and non permanent. Nothing matches it for the task at hand.

Of course if you put the LED too close to the flipper the guide will hit the flipper BEFORE it gets a chance to move.
If you put the LED too far away from the flipper the car very close in front of you can change with you against the other cars wishes.
Here you can 'delay' the firing of the solenoid rather than physically reposition it. Neat function.

If the LED beacon is positioned too far away from the flipper then the problems mentioned above will be especially noticeable with Ninco LCs are they are "sprung". As soon as the solenoid loses its charge the spring does its job and returns the flipper VERY quickly, causing the car to deslot or simply go straight through.

SSD LCs are more forgiving as they are a 2 solenoid per flipper design, im my opinion the way to go. Remember the Peco solenid is really 2 solenoids joined together for you timber track guys.

Carrera LCs are different as the reset is mechanical, and at the correct moment too, so not as touchy as the Ninco LC.

All 3 brands work perfectly with Scorpius and all get the job done. All 3 can fit the Lane Brain in the track itself so no enclosure is required.

Rick

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
For everyone who's about to convert Ninco LC's:
I am happy to discover that the Ninco pitlane exit trackpiece is capable of housing a solenoid - it's identical to the pitlane entry trackpiece, only mirrored of course.
The flipper is there, including spring and holder for the solenoid.
So if you want to make a left handed pitlane in your scorpius track (like i do), all you have to do is replacing the solenoid from the entry-trackpiece tot the exit-trackpiece.

OR if you want to make your scorpiussed-ninco track bi-directional, just add a solenoid to your pitlane exit trackpiece :)

A muddy picture to show the flippers :)

Merc

p.s. i have to correct myself considering the bi-directionality: not all Ninco LC's are capable of bi-directional (only the curved XLC has entry/exit flippers). Sorry!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hola muy buenas a [email protected] Tengo una duda.

Para montar el LB en los cambios ninco es necesario quitar la
electronica ninco.

o se podria dejar y hacer un hibrido ; )

PD: se sabe para cuando un manual en español ññññ : )

Hello very good. I have a doubt.

To mount the LB changes have to be removed Ninco
Ninco electronica.

or could leave and make a hybrid

PS is known for when a manual in Spanish nnnn

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes you could make a hybrid SSD/Scorpius/Carrera/Ninco LC, a way to get around the compatibility issue. Diodes I suspect would need to be added to stop damage to either electronics.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
hi guys, as I prepare for my Ninco surgery, I have a some questions about installing a S/F track,
I wonder if for this, I need to install at 4 beacons.

I do plan to use A/C on the ninco test track. I also noticed the beacon installs take place on full straights. Is this mainly to be able to house the LC board?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Profoxcg @ 18 Jul 2011, 13:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi guys, as I prepare for my Ninco surgery, I have a some questions about installing a S/F track,
I wonder if for this, I need to install at 4 beacons.

No, as anti collision and lapcounting are unrelated functions.

QUOTE I do plan to use A/C on the ninco test track. I also noticed the beacon installs take place on full straights. Is this mainly to be able to house the LC board?

The full straight before the XLC is to house he LB yes. It can be installed in an enclosure anywhere of course. I do not recommend the XLC be after a curve though.

Rick

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
QUOTE No, as anti collision and lapcounting are unrelated functions.

Do AC beacons still need to be covered when AC is not used?
I ask for two reasons:

1) maybe ill install all 4 beacons on a single straight and have the option to use the straight as a S/F line, or attach a XLC to it at some point (no lap counting obviously)
2) I want to be able to turn on AC when I play with new drivers (my friends for instance or kids) and turn it off for some real racing or to use PEARL.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
AC will need to be or off permanently, its not switchable.
To activate or not activate AC you must reconfigure each LB.
Have a read of the user and install manuals as there is a lot of good information in there.

Rick

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 18 Jul 2011, 00:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>AC will need to be ON or off permanently, its not switchable.

okay, so lets say I installs the AC beacons all around my track on every LC. When I use PEARL, PEARL will work, but the AC beacons will not deter or prevent collisions.
By the same token, can I install the AC beacons to the start/finish line and expect them to do nothing with AC turned on (they do nothing because there no LC attached to that LB at the moment) OR will the interfere with lap counting?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
QUOTE (Profoxcg @ 18 Jul 2011, 15:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>okay, so lets say I installs the AC beacons all around my track on every LC. When I use PEARL, PEARL will work, but the AC beacons will not deter or prevent collisions.
By the same token, can I install the AC beacons to the start/finish line and expect them to do nothing with AC turned on (they do nothing because there no LC attached to that LB at the moment) OR will the interfere with lap counting?

PEARL will not operate with AC yet as mentioned. Its a lot of work so we will not be getting to this aspect anytime soon. It is possible though.

AC beacons cannot be installed unless its activated. If they are installed they must not be visible to the car. Tape isnt much good as IR travels through it. I use Blutac during tests but to me not a solution.

To achieve every possible function at once the LB would need to be considerably dearer as a lot more hardware (2 additional LED drivers at least) and a bigger CPU required. This would have made the LB way too expensive. This is why I recommend liven flipper and PEARL be the priority to hard core enthusiasts. As it is the LB is $99, which to me is the maximum price break, anything over $99 would be unattractive price wise. Sorry even Scorpius has its limitations

Sorry the PEARL invention came after the LB was developed. Its just an option.

QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 18 Jul 2011, 15:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought AC was part of the LC setup, and could be configured to be on or off when you configure the LB.
Correct. I guess if you only have a few LBs its not too bad, but say if you had quite a few it would be a pain.

Rick

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 18 Jul 2011, 01:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought AC was part of the LC setup, and could be configured to be on or off when you configure the LB.

it is, but you have to turn it on or off each LC at a time. - for PEARL to work, all LC need to be either ON or OFF. Its rather a time consuming task to turn them on or off.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
So the answer to my question : at the s/f line, if I choose to install the ac beacons and turn on ac on the while track, I will need to cover them at the s/f line?

It shouldn't matter since there really isn't an lc attached, unless it will affect lap counting.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 18 Jul 2011, 03:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>See post number 11, already answered today

to confirm, it shouldn't matter as lap count and AC are unrelated.

question regarding installing on a Ninco single LC:

you would install the corresponding LC beacon 160mm from the LC flipper, (on lane 1) and if I want AC, I will only install one AC beacon on Lane 2 at 220mm.... can you help me here please. (there is a mistake on the graphic)

Upon further thinking, I think I would need both AC beacons and only on LC beacon. Is this correct?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts