Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Ninco 50351. It looks like they were going to put the Marlboro decals on it and then changed their mind. I'll try to explain (but if you've got one on these, you'll see what I mean).....

There are matt red patches over the top of lacquered-over white squares where the Marlboro decals should be. It's like an after-thought quick blow-over because you can see through the red to what's underneath

What are my chances of getting the matt red off without taking (much of) the lacquer off? I'm kind-of thinking that a gentle rub with fine T-Cut will get the red off, as it's like a quick blow-over because you can see what's underneath. Would I do better just putting vinyl Marlboro stickers over the matt red?

Has anyone been as anal as I am and done something with one of these cars?

TIA
Stuart.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have this car and I found that T-Cut works well if but you do need to rub for a while. The car looks good after. Ninco are classes as a toy company so they can't have marborough - a cigarette comany's logo on their car in case children look at it. However, once you use the T-Cut, there is only white when this particular car raceed in the Monty Carlo rally, it didn't have marborough stickers on it.

Tom

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Thanks for your input Tom. I think I'll give it a go.

QUOTE (tomster @ 11 Mar 2012, 11:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when this particular car raceed in the Monty Carlo rally, it didn't have marborough stickers on it.Yes, I've noticed that when I've been trawling through rally images - and it wasn't only for the Monte. I may well leave them blank once I've got that matt red off, at least the blocks of white brighten the car a little.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I finally found a product to get the matt red off. Solvol Autosol metal polish.
As Tom said, above, it takes a while. Just a little augmentation needed around the door handles now.

I'm not going to bother with Marlboro decals, though.

·
Registered
92 Posts

The actual car raced by Gronholm in the 2004 WRC Rally of Mexico, raced with plain white blocks - no additional "Marlboro" livery.

The story behind this Ninco model is that after the car was finished, it was deemed that the white blocks represented tobacco advertising (strange, I know) and so Ninco had to cover them with red to match the body colour. You will find the red comes off easily (I used nail varnish remover ) as the paint was applied on top of the final gloss coat that adorns all Ninco cars.

I also think the slot-car looks much better without the over-paint.

This is covered in a bit more detail in a "Ninco Track Test" article in the January 2005 issue of the NSCC Journal which can be downloaded as a .pdf file from the NSCC web-site

Happy Rallying...

Peter

·
Registered
92 Posts
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 13 Apr 2013, 19:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I finally found a product to get the matt red off. Solvol Autosol metal polish.
As Tom said, above, it takes a while. Just a little augmentation needed around the door handles now.

Oh, and leave the door handles red... just like the real thing!

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
What a great bit of knowledge sharing - thanks - I knew nothing of this Ninco story.

Pic of the real car in action;

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (slothead @ 16 Apr 2013, 12:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh, and leave the door handles red... just like the real thing!

Yep!
That's the plan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts