SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , having problems with nc-5 set up with the pinion spliting why is this happen?, the car is totally standard set up except for the rear tyres, we race non-magnet cars, motors are tape in, if lose in pod, this has happen to me twice so far, and with other members of our club, it seemes that this has happen to other members also, so should ninco look into this problem.

G

·
Hi Phil,
i have to say that this has never happened to me or anyone else at the club. We have, however, been using Slot It running gear for the last couple of years because the Ninco stuff is so noisy and the wheels sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

I may be wrong but are Ninco even producing cars with the original red pinion and gear?

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
Of course they should.

They won't.

Try another pinion.

If you are hitting the pinion with a lot of torque (which can come from the motor or from the resistance of the wheels to turning caused by the track and driving style) then get a stronger pinion. Brass would probably be a good bet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've just had one of those little sods split. We all wondered why my car was producing a very loud rattle but since it kept winning I left it alone. Have changed the gear now, lets see if it's still competitive with an intact cog.

Does any of the pro race stuff work as a direct replacement for the ordinary red angle winder pinion?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FW14b- As you only run with slot-it gears, you would not come across this problem.

MR MODIFIER- took your advice and found a n/s/r 12t pinon which i fitted and it seemes to be running ok, will try under race conditions on monday

THATCEDRIC- will see if ninco do a pro-race replacement pinion

thank you all for your input

·
Registered
439 Posts
You might well find that running different brands of pinions and gears will not get a good mesh.

What car(s) are you having trouble with?

The Ninco Pro race gears are not very good in my opinion.

If you would allow it in your club then change the rear end to slot it. They do a kit which includes wheels, axle, bearings, gear, pinion and an axle stopper if you wish to go that way.

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
I Have recently changed the red Ninco angle winder gear set on a Ninco Mosler MT900 due to noise using Slot It part Number KK09 - all fits perfectly. This achieved an instant 6% improvement in track time, very quiet and smooth. This mosler is still the fastest car (non mag) over Slot It and NSR but you can't beat the latter too for smooth.

The same gear set is used on the Lambo Murcielago and the Lexus SC 430 I will certaily be changing mine over the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Have you also considered wrapping a NSR 25,000 rpm EVO 3 up in a pink NC 5 wrapper to make it go faster down the main straight? Then another great tip is to fit a magnet into the bottom of the chassis , this works like downforce on a real car and helps it corner.
Really Philip, NSR / Slot it gears in the std class? Be careful you never know who could be lurking on the Slotforum.
Scrutineering should be fun on Monday.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Oh dear,
Seems I have killed this thread off.

So let's see if I can put it back on track. Current class at Viking is WRC cars run non mag, silicon tyres, std NC 5 motor (equivalent 20,000rpm) with no mods to chassis or running gear to keep cost down. Benchmark cars currently Ninco C4, 307, Focus or Scooby.
I understand changing motor pinion from std 9 tooth to 10 or 11 is accepted so should this be allowed for angle winder set ups as well. The Powerslot VW Polo had appealing gears, so slot rally GB allows these to be changed. Mine is currently running red plastic big gear with Ninco brass motor pinion which works well. is this what you are proposing Phil?
Will bring it to the club tomorrow night.
Happy scrutineering
Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts