SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I like it, it is a lot better than the default black. How did you apply it? Slightly lighter may look a bit better, but this is already very good.
Thanks for your reply! Little bit lighter was also my thought. But I also don't want to get a concrete like look as this also doesn't cover reality.

Applied traditionally with paint brush, nothing extraordinary ;)
When I do the rest, I will mask the rails first.

· ParrotGod
12,602 Posts
I have to say that in my mind, tracks especially in Europe are black.
Ninco track and borders colors are not bad especially when compared to Carrera and Scalex.
Having said that, I think your color here looks good.
Just make sure to cover better the border so that the red squares do not show through.

· Registered
186 Posts
I suppose another thing you might consider is that, in reality, road and track surfaces are not really 'one colour'... There will be variations in tone due to weathering, road use, materials etc.

Might be worth experimenting with different ways of applying different tones of grey. Scuff paint on with a wet or dry sponge or cloth, try smudging it before it dries... spray at lower pressure to create a speckled effect, maybe carefully hand paint with a fine brush bits of surface cracking etc etc.

Of course, I have not done any of this myself but there are some amazing examples on the forum of how people have approached track painting.

One of these days I shall get round to doing some of this...!

· Registered
191 Posts
Looking really nice!

painting with just flay grey primer is what I’m doing too. But it would be more realistic if the surface had more shades of grey. About 50 :)
Take a look at Boone slotcar garage on youtube. He’s showing ways to bring in more shades.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Looking really nice!

Take a look at Boone slotcar garage on youtube. He’s showing ways to bring in more shades. About 50 :)
(y):sneaky:
Thank you! Thanks for that great youtube hint. I will have a look at his videos. Different shades of gray (50 ofcourse) were also in my mind. One of my problems still is getting sharp lines painted on that rough surface. I need to experiment more here.

· Registered
186 Posts
Another thought, take a look at the Sebring track... parts of it I believe are former runways! Nothing flat about it, not in tone or surface evenness although being too bumpy may not be great for slot cars of course...

If by sharp lines you mean white road markings, then perhaps carefully cut masking tape cutouts for the lines (along with a bit of scrap paper to prevent over spray) and automotive rattle can of white paint. You could even apply it quite thick to get that raised texture of the real thing!

Good luck and show us your progress.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Another thought, take a look at the Sebring track... parts of it I believe are former runways! Nothing flat about it, not in tone or surface evenness although being too bumpy may not be great for slot cars of course...

If by sharp lines you mean white road markings, then perhaps carefully cut masking tape cutouts for the lines (along with a bit of scrap paper to prevent over spray) and automotive rattle can of white paint. You could even apply it quite thick to get that raised texture of the real thing!

Good luck and show us your progress.
Yes, I mean roadlines.
Rattle can is basically a great idea, haven't thought about that yet. There is a bit of a problem that I don't have space to spray, or I must do it on midnight on a parking lot...
I have thought about thick paint and masking, to prevent the paint from flowing under the tape.

It will be challenging to get clean lines on a surface as rough as Ninco's.
Well, yes. I already experieced that.

Ofcourse I will keep you updated!

· ParrotGod
12,602 Posts
Thinking about airbrush: when I do masking jobs, I have learned that in order to seal the mask one can spray a layer of clear and then the final color.
Maybe here you can use a brush to seal the mask with a thick coat of clear and after it has dried you can go with your color of choice.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thinking about airbrush: when I do masking jobs, I have learned that in order to seal the mask one can spray a layer of clear and then the final color.
Maybe here you can use a brush to seal the mask with a thick coat of clear and after it has dried you can go with your color of choice.
Good idea, definetly worth a try. Play-Doh for masking came to my mind , too.

Btw, there is some progress:
Building Urban design Flooring Plant Grass

Hood Table Wood Toy Urban design

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
What a great hint! Works fantastic! First color track gray, second white.
The rest of the track piece is my experimental space 😉
Track also Haß seen the first laps.
Art first some color on some of the 'tops' of the rough surface came off. Nearly unvisible, but grip was bad due to that. But fortunately that got bettet after about 200 laps per lane with constant tire cleaning and vacuum cleaning the track.
Will paint some details, like the lane changers next, as well as the white track lines.

Automotive tire Wood Material property Tints and shades Circle

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well, been a bit quiet here. Worked hard, but not always on the track :)

But here we go! Did some drybrushing, basically on the whle track. That gray was good, but I wasn't 100% happy, mainly because of the boring look and because the track gets kind of glossy when the sunlight is shining. That shiny look is normal on Ninco tracks, but not very good when it's getting realistic. Maybe I will use matt clear coat here.

The shadow for the raceline is done with a big semi hard brush, the small tire traces with a small hard brush.

Building Urban design Grass Flooring Landscape

Transport hub Road surface Race track Asphalt Mode of transport

regards Tristan

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
That here is next on the menu:
There were originally complete tire staples in red+ white, but unfortunately not very nice. So I decided to cut then down to single half tires. Original color came off, so repainting will be done. I'm not 100% sure if completely white or red / white

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Tar

Original model here

regards, Tristan

21 - 40 of 58 Posts