SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just received this morning a new Ninco Renault Megane Lightning to race in one of our Club's classes that up to now I've not
competed, almost everyone uses NSR Clio / Punto's so of course as usual yours truly wanted something different but there's
not much else that's remotely competitive, prior to ordering I'd found out what I could about possible problems / tips.

Most of the past comments still apply, grub screws not fully tightened up, gear mesh alignment poor (pinion), I could understand it if it was a standard car - my previous Ninco Pro-Race Mosler was perfectly usable out of the box, this isn't
- however my biggest dissappointment is the woefully thin and flexible chassis, I'd asked to make sure the Megane had the stronger!! red pod (what was the problem with the original grey/black one) the gear side of the pod is well braced, why oh'
why could they not have done the opposite side and this new one is not exactly rock solid.

I haven't yet run the car - I've just stripped it down to the last screw to carry out race prep - I intend to use an NSR Evo 3 motor
and NSR or Slot-it gears & pinion, as mentioned in the past the Megane's wheels are really beautifully made so will use these
also bought a selection of NSR Super / Ultra grips.

Question, what have people done to strengthen chassis and pod (pics if poss), I intend to use tubing to locate front axle and
whilst mentioning this why could Ninco not have used grub screw adjustment now so common.

Damn, just caught the wing picking it up and broken it, why can't they be flexible, despite all this still like the car.

Robert.

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (Crusader @ 10 Mar 2012, 15:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I haven't yet run the car - I've just stripped it down to the last screw to carry out race prep - I intend to use an NSR Evo 3 motor
and NSR or Slot-it gears & pinion, as mentioned in the past the Megane's wheels are really beautifully made so will use these
also bought a selection of NSR Super / Ultra grips.
Robert.

If you're going to go to the trouble and expense of adding NSR parts, why not just buy an NSR car to start with?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now why did I know someone was going to say that.

In our Touring car class EVERYONE uses Spirit Peugeot 406's (tried one didn't like it) I use a Fly BMW 320i Evo-3 and its no
slouch, in LMP almost everyone uses Slot-it, me an NSR Corvette and so on.

I could never stand mass produced affordable sportscars 1.1, I have a Clan Crusader and have had TVR, AC etc, its just me
like something different to what everyone else uses.

Robert.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Your findings seem to reflect how ninco have dropped the ball somehow.

At the club I race at (Nascot Wood) we as yet do not use NSR cars. The clio and the Fiat do not look like touring cars to me. There is just no choice it seems for the touring cars.

We do run the spirit 406's which are very good and fast.

In our Rally class it is mostly Ninco's.

I have a C4 lightning which was around £54. You would expect that the car would be useable out of the box.

We run boxer motors in this class so the motor was changed.
As you have done i stripped it down. I cannot get the crown off the rear axle at all. The rear wheels will not grip an axle no matter what i do. I have had to change the rear end for slot it parts and now it runs well. so ignoring the motor the car has cost around £65.

When you compare the pricea gainst say a 2012 slot it which is around £42 i will avoid buying Ninco now unless we have no choice in any class.

DrH

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I race at North Staffs, the class I intended using the Megane in is Super 4x4! now obviously I assume when they started this
class people were using 4x4 rally cars but small saloons were allowed (we already run a main Touring car class for BTCC / DTM
& Silhouette - this allows in the 406 a/w's) but the small saloon class allowed in the NSR Clio which is far superior to anything
else, size helps also, wish someone could tell me the exact scale of these NSR cars.

With the NSR's being ultra competitive and no comparable competitor everyone now uses these (also motor max 21.5k) .

I had considered using an NSR Punto but just starting with a bare bodyshell and chassis and building my own spec (also for
the Megane, but by the time you'd bought the body, chassis and motor you were up to the cost of the complete car).

You want a potentially ultra competitive Touring car the just take a look at the New Racer (nee' Slot-it) Sideways Ford Capri,
just pre-ordered mine.

Robert.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The Capri will most likely be my next purchase it looks the business.

Hopefully we can get it allowed in the club as we have restrictions on the manufacturers we use.

DrH

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am totally mystified why the majority of you think that a car should run perfectly out of the box this implies that there factories in china full of experienced slot car tuners building car for the likes of Ninco, this scenario may be closely replicated in the case of NSR who hand build their cars in Italy but thats as far as it goes.
When you buy a Lightning Ninco, Slot.It or any other brand what you have to evaluate is "is the box of bits I am getting worth the money?"

Anyway back on post subject I tried and hoped to get one of these running in our touring car class which is dominated by the 406 Silhouette and the original Megane Trophy. I tend to use Slot.It running gear in everything so never used the Ninco gears, to give the very narrow back end a bit of support I used a Sloting Plus axle beam (SLPL1010) and did all the usual glueing and truing, glued some washers on the front axle supports to get the desired ride hieght.
In short whilst the chassis gave loads of grip it was a real handful due to the peaky motor being to much for the car.
cheers
brembo

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks for your comments Brembo, you just get drawn in to having a gripe now & then, having everything mass produced
is the problem, if you can't have it RACE READY its probably just as well that everything is JUST assembled, may be it would be
better if most things went back to being supplied as a kit just as in the 60's / 70's, RACE READY is probably only possible by small producers and before someone says Scalextric they're generally just popped and pressed together.

Along with the Megane I did purchase an NSR Evo 3 but it was a toss up between that and a less stressful Scaleauto BB 20k
long can, maybe in the light of what you've said I ought to try something a little more driveable.

Robert.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Maybe its a "Robert" thing, trying not to follow the herd,but it seems that in life & slot-racing,it can be an uphill struggle.!!!

Regards

Robert.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
QUOTE I haven't yet run the car - I've just stripped it down to the last screw to carry out race prep - I intend to use an NSR Evo 3 motor
also bought a selection of NSR Super / Ultra grips

So you may as well buy an NSR Clio or Punto, then? Why pretend to be different if you are only really being the same as your competitors? With all this NSR stuff a 1/32 bread delivery van would run like a Clio or Punto. Now that would be different

·
Registered
439 Posts
QUOTE (brembo @ 11 Mar 2012, 11:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am totally mystified why the majority of you think that a car should run perfectly out of the box this implies that there factories in china full of experienced slot car tuners building car for the likes of Ninco, this scenario may be closely replicated in the case of NSR who hand build their cars in Italy but thats as far as it goes.
When you buy a Lightning Ninco, Slot.It or any other brand what you have to evaluate is "is the box of bits I am getting worth the money?"

cheers
brembo

Fair comment but Ninco advertise their lightning range such that you would not expect them to at least come apart ok.

DrH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts