SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a couple of cars out on a track to see how they ran. I took my Scalextric Audi TT and my Ninco Porsche 911 GT1 to a commercial track to get some time in and see how they performed.

The Audi was fine.
A nice little screamer. There was another Scalextric Audi at the track... modified with a faster motor. I found that I wasn't that far behind with the stock motor. And I haven't raced a slot car in decades! The modified Audi kept flying off the track because it was driven too fast.

On to the problem... the Ninco Porsche. It seems horribly underpowered. Acceleration is abysmal. The magnet is located near the front of the car and the back end kicks out easily. This would be fine and maybe kind of fun... except it de-slots like crazy.

The commercial track was Scalextric. I don't know if the Ninco guide was too long or what. I couldn't get to the track to really examine it. When I asked the track marshall, he looked at it and said that the guide looked fine in the slot. Don't know from personal observation whether it was or not.

The personnel at the track said that they could see the front of the car jumping and lifting on the straight... that it needed some lead weight in the front and a magnet toward the rear. There is no provision for moving the magnet back in a stock fashion. So, I'm going to try a button magnet to try to hold the rear down a bit.

Could the jump and lift be due to out of round tires? This was run straight out of the box. No trueing of tires or anything.

And what motor should replace the one that is in it? I can't believe that it is that slow.

It was clear that if the rearend gets out too far it pulls the guide out. But this thing also deslotted just about anyplace on the track. I don't think I got a lap in without deslotting at least 3 times. And it's not like it's fast!

Anyone else have this car? What is your experience like? It was inexpensive and I suppose I can't complain overmuch... but the Scalextric was priced nicely too and I felt it performed well. I did notice that the other Ninco cars in the sales case seemed to even look better. Better finish, etc. So, I'll try not to judge all Ninco cars by this first experience. Maybe this is Ninco's low cost entry car. But it is frustrating even for that purpose.

Thanks for advice or comments.

Mike

·
Registered
543 Posts
you have a very old ninco car there. and the NC1 motor is indeed slow. most any can-drive endbell equipped mabuchi motor will work as a replacement. if you want a fun race get another NC1 equipped ninco GT and run them against each other stock.

was the track scalex classic? if so the ninco guide is too deep and will catch on the bottom parts of the track. which could lead to de-slotting.

try the newest ninco tires. a huge improvement.

this won't make the porsche your fastest car just your funnest.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (monquispot @ 20 Oct 2004, 09:57)you have a very old ninco car there. and the NC1 motor is indeed slow. most any can-drive endbell equipped mabuchi motor will work as a replacement. if you want a fun race get another NC1 equipped ninco GT and run them against each other stock.

was the track scalex classic? if so the ninco guide is too deep and will catch on the bottom parts of the track. which could lead to de-slotting.

try the newest ninco tires. a huge improvement.

this won't make the porsche your fastest car just your funnest.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks monoquispot.
It was indeed Scalex classic. Notwithstanding the turn marshall indicating that the Ninco guide was not too deep, I wondered if this wasn't the problem. It just de-slotted waaay too easily.

Yes, running against a like car, this would be a fun little drive... once the deslotting is corrected. The price is right, so I think I'll follow through on your suggestion. And... I can always upgrade to a faster motor if it seems necessary. I do think that the advert should have indicated that this was an older motor... but caveat emptor.

Good point also that fast does not equate with fun. I much prefer a close race between controllable cars.

Mike

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The guide is only just too deep, try taking about .020-.030" off the bottom and it will run better. I have the same car and put an NC-2 motor in with the adapter motor mount. The tires are pretty bad and new ones will help a lot. If you're going to add more magnet, I would go with a faster motor. If you just add tires, the NC-1s are a lot of fun.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE Could the jump and lift be due to out of round tires? This was run straight out of the box. No trueing of tires or anything.

And what motor should replace the one that is in it? I can't believe that it is thatslow.

You are seeing the famous Ninco Hop. Hard to remove well with standard Ninco equipment although (as stated) the newer stuff is better)

Your best bet IMO would be to look into Slot.It hop up parts for the axles,wheels, tyres (P3), gearing and guide. The 'starter kit' and a screwed guide will do you, along with a 29k motor if required.

The version you have is well worth the time spent to make it a good runner.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As noted elsewhere, I got to run the Ninco Porsche GT-1 on a routed track. The de-slotting question was answered. No de-slotting. It was the depth of the guide slot on the Scalextric classic track.

The car was much more fun. I had added weight for the non-ferrous track, but it still hung the rear end way out there. Fun... but not the best for time. So, monkey with the weight a little and see what happens.

Thanks all for the suggestions for curing some of the problems. The Slot.it hop up kit sounds like a must-do, Swissracer.

I think I'll pick up another one of these while they're around and inexpensive. Good car to monkey with.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts