SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have always loved ninco products but have found recently (within the last year or so) that the quality of the wheels on ninco cars has been drasticly slipping while the price has been creeping up.
many of the wheels on ninco cars i have purchased recently have been baddly untrue out of around 10 cars i have bought over the last year or so, 5 of the cars have had at least one untrue wheel and a further two have had 3 untrue wheels. but if i take a further ten ninco cars from around 5 or 6 years ago not one of them had an untrue wheel! on some of my untrue cars i had never noticed bounce before on a magnetic track but when i started to race on a non magnetic track i started to notice my cars bouncing around a lot
so i looked furtherinto the problem and found on a lot of my ninco cars the wheels were untrue. and i am not alone a friend bought a new clio took it out of the box and straight out of the box it was bouncing. on further inspection all 4 wheels were untrue.
but i have also recently noted that the pajero i have also has two untrue wheels but i did not notice it when racing the one difference i found the proshocks

Is the proshock suspension just a crafty way of getting around poor wheel quality?
Has anyone here noticed a quality issue with ninco wheels

·
Registered
514 Posts
On both my no-mag Ninco rally cars the standard wheels seem fine.

I got a set of their replacement wheels, but don't know if they were true or not, since two of the wheels cracked when I fitted them on the axle...

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a couple of wheels where the wheels at first seemed to have been untrue but at closer inspection the wheels where quite ok and round - BUT - the hole for the axle was not in the centre...

It really seems to be such a shame though and un-necessary...
//peter

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE the hole for the axle was not in the centre...
My experience is that that is the most common reason for wheel wobble and it isn't confined to Ninco. Even if the correct replacement wheels can be sourced, there is no more guarantee that the replacements will be any better than the orginals.
When it happens, this is a serious problem, probably the most commonly annoying one of all and the most detrimental to good running.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Tropi's quite right there, I, too have seen Fly, Scaley, etc. with wobbly wheels. I usually have the cars out of the package right before I buy them and this is one of the inspection points that is very easy to do. If you get one by some accident, the best thing to do (if you must have their wheels) is to return the car. Barring that , it is very hard to beat a nice set of aluminium wheels. If I damage a wheel, I dont hesitate to replace with something nice (that will REALLY hold up). Sometimes that leads to some strong performance gains.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The big problem here is for box standard racing.
Axles are largely interchangeable, so obtaining a straight one is probably not too much bother.
Wheels only a little off circular can usually be reshaped without attracting ccriticism.
But axle hole off centre is a serious problem and I wonder if anyone has any constructive suggestions over and above returning the car, which could result in another exactly the same?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yes, I agree this has to be the single most difficult problem to deal with, above ALL others. It has to be absolutely top of any list of improvements that are needed in RTR cars from the manufacturers and I don't single out any one in particular, as it is fairly generalized.

In theory, the existing hole could be plugged with epoxy and a new hole drilled dead center, but I wouldn't have a clue as to how to ensure the new hole was, in fact, dead center! This could be a tedious and fristrating exercise.

Is it practical?
Has anyone ever done it?
Any constructive tips at all?

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my oppinion the best ninco wheel is the oz rally wheel,( I've never had any problem with that wheels...)
other ninco wheels are jus like a lottery...
, I mean that you have to be lucky otherwise start the sandpaper works....
I hope it could help
Thanks for reading it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts