SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
Not that I know of...

But there was talk of a one off event held on a neutral track somewhere for the UK qualifying, maybe at one of the big slot car events. I would personally prefer this, but where would it be and who would supply the circuit?
Will this happen - who knows?

ABBO

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't think there is any solid news about 2011. My personal opiion is that the qualifying should be team based and over a number of rounds as it was this year but the teams should be made up with members from the same club, no all star teams. I think if you have a one off qualifying round attendance will be low as many people will know they have no chance of qualifying, there is also the problem you will end up with three people in the final who don't know each other, from different parts of the country and who may not get on. The compeittion should be about everyone enjoying the qualifying rounds. Nightrider

G

·
Unfortunately there will be lots of differences in opinion about this but that's what makes life interesting.
Put the best 3 racers in the country in a team and send 'em out there.
I seriously doubt that there are 3 TOP racers in any one club in the country.
As i understand it there will be a one off qualifying round at a large Slot Car event next year.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I couldnt agree with you more nightrider, the only problem getting clubs to agree in the time allowed, there was very little support for last years event.
I could go on but feel as I could only attend your round in a scratch team so your club had a full track that it would be wrong.
Happy Xmas
Zen

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
No sh'nt, saw you watching and it wasnt a dig, it is a problem that the importer does so little to support the event.
Hope the snow isnt to bad down there and that you have a good xmas.
Are you going to Swindon.

Zen

G

·
I know it wasn't a dig Ken.
The problem is that whatever is decided about next years event, it won't suit everyone.
Racing abroad is just a different class and we don't have enough top class racers who show an interest in entering this event.
A real shame but it's a fact.
I won't be going to Swindon but have a good day and a Happy Christmas Ken.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The level of competition at these Euro/WC is very high indeed.
There are teams that bring in drivers from other countries - never mind different clubs.
If the UK team wants to have a decent chance - then I see no harm whatsoever in running a "best of" team.

If it were a club championship then that would be a different matter - but it's not.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I disagree with that cargo,
the problem we have in this country is that there is to much competition, and it is so diverse, competition for rally, scratch built, hard plastic, drag racing, HO, we have no structured competition to compete against them, therefore we always lose, the other problem is that the final costs a lot of money to go to as well as a lot of time, very few brits want to commite to this.

Have a good Xmas

Zen

·
Lee Green
1,995 Posts
How to determine the best 3 in the country , there is probably 10 or so guys on here capable of being in that top 3 , but do they want to do it ?

G

·
Actually Ken there is probably more competition in Spain and Italy (to name 2 countries) than over here with many clubs with large memberships. There are even shops with large tracks set up in them.
I firmly believe we are a long way behind many countries when it comes to Scalextric type racing. The results speak for themselves. When is the last time an English team obtained a good finish in Brussels for example.
Once the top Spanish teams entered, we never stood a cat in hells chance.
Carge and i are of the same opinion, get the best 3 and get them out there. No "club" team from England is ever going to do well. Unfortunately no club in the country, in my opinion, has the "strength in depth" to take on the world.
If the NWC is held in Gran Canaria again then an English entry could well be wasting the air fare.

·
Lee Green
1,995 Posts
Who are these 3 people? I bet the debate could go on for ages , top 4-6 is required really for 24 hour events , was skid mark the last Brit to win an event overseas ?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
What format does the Ninco World Cup actually take?
I've heard it mentioned and discussed in passing but have never really got to the bottom of the mechanics of the event. Anyone?

I believe there is definitely the talent in this country to take on the rest of Europe, however it's assembling and packaging it into an organised team. Possibly, the best drivers in the UK don't have the organisational skills or the inclination to pull this off without help!
I think the ideal situation would be a person or persons who manage UK entries into European competitions, but in this hideously busy and stressful world who honestly wants to add this major task to their already busy lives? It would take a very dedicated person indeed.

Interest in European events seems to have shrunk to nothing in the last decade. When compared to the nineties when we were travelling en masse to France and Belgium every year for the Grand Prix's, it's a stark contrast (ah, the good old days).

Maybe a dedicated thread for this would be a good idea, just to get general feedback as to why interest and enthusiasm has dipped for international meetings.
Just a thought.

·
Lee Green
1,995 Posts
Well , who is interested in doing some then ? Is there limited spaces for us to compete? even if we did find 5-10 people who wanted to do it would we be able to all enter ?

G

·
If you are Spanish then it seems you can enter as many teams as you want

It seems that there is a lack of interest from many nations, perhaps caused by the global recession or perhaps just lack of interest.
There has also been a lack of interest in the UK qualifying rounds in the last 3 years (there were none in 2009) and whichever way they have been organised there have been problems as the rules haven't always suited some people.
Apparently there is to be a one off round (as i have mentioned before) but i have no further details. This wiil be of teams of 3 but i see problems arrisng as to how these teams are picked.
If i were to pick a team to enter the NWC it would consist of 3 from these 4: Jack Thoburn, Julian Edwards, Shaun Mitchell and Nic Hirst.
As for organising the team, i have done it for 3 years and although (apart from last year) are results haven't been fantastic, the travel arrangements etc have been spot on. The cars and spares package has also been fine. No prizes fro that though.
A fourth person is a must for this race and i believe that we have been the only finalists who don't take some help.
Another point is that (as in the UK final at Silverstone) the track MUST remain unused by anyone prior to the race weekend.
As Julian suggested, perhaps this thread should be "dedicated" to a sensible discussion on how we can win the NWC.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
The fact the most clubs that are centred around racing 1/32nd scale plastic chassis are 'islands' makes it difficult to determine who is the best, certainly compared to BSCRA and HO racing. Nonetheless, it would be good to have a comprehensive series that determined that and enabled the best three/four to attend the finals as a team.

Granted, the logistics are a nightmare, especially given the lack of involvement of the manufacturer in question,

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi all.
Some interesting points of veiw.
To correct, but also agree with Ken (zendragon), it is not the excess of competition, but the variation of the different deciplines that make up Slot racing in this country that is a draw back to Euro style endurance racing for us Brits.
We have great racers in all of the various forms of Slot racing we practice over here, but we do not compete in great club numbers on the one type of track (plastic) to be able to draw a top team from a team qualifying race series.
I agree with Graeme, that a top 4 racers team should be entered and with a competent race team manager...non better or more qualified than GT himself.
How you find those 'top racers' is the crux of the matter. Some form of qualifying race sounds great, but would all the guys turn up for it? The team race series as practiced for the last few years will probably bring the same, very good, 'team' to the fore (GTR).
One alternative way is to find out when and where the finals will be held, and then find out who, (of a short list of 20?),of the top racers, are willing and able to go to the Finals. You may find then your only dealing with 1/2 a dozen guys anyway, so the 'qualiyfying' would be short and to the point!!
Kind regards Bill.

·
Lee Green
1,995 Posts
QUOTE (Hobby @ 27 Dec 2010, 20:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One alternative way is to find out when and where the finals will be held, and then find out who, (of a short list of 20?),of the top racers, are willing and able to go to the Finals. You may find then your only dealing with 1/2 a dozen guys anyway, so the 'qualiyfying' would be short and to the point!!

This i think is the main issue (availability of people) , although who is it to decide these top 20 people is it to be the top 20 in slot it challenge? or top people from champs league (seeing as its run on plastic) or is this then excluding those who dont do any of these? All of this would take a lot of considering.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think another question worth asking at this point is: just how level is the playing field? Where the NWC is concerned. As Graeme touched on earlier: is it worth wasting the air fare if the rules are bendable depending on your nationality?
From what I gather the "neutral track" rule was possibly not observed by all teams in Gran Canaria.
Unfortunately issues like that aren't going to necessarily encourage interest from UK drivers. As I think on the whole the British slot racing community are a fairly honest bunch and wouldnt take kindly to having the p*** taken out of them.

I don't think there's any doubt that both the Spanish and the Italians would be tough to beat, they eat, sleep and breath slot car racing for god sake. But it would be nice to know that we would at least be racing to the same rule book as them

Just how much input do Ninco have in these events? Is it all planned and executed by them? Or is it Ninco in name only?

1 - 20 of 214 Posts