Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Having settled on our second class of cars and had a week to test them and a week to run them fettled - here is an endurance race from our first week of full-on racing.

We run without magnets, with standard motors and running gear but allow tuning for handling. We run SSDC with fuel management enabled.

Warning: it's a 10 minute race and the video shows it in full.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/izUemP4pZgk?rel=0

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Best quote of video

"1min to go and driving gets a bit ragged"

Lol

They look smoother than the one we tried to run

So any of you lot fancy a trip to Essex to race on our TWO SSDC tracks in one day
See Falcon Raceways club section for details

Michael

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Hi Number 27,

It is mental when we self-marshal.

We often get 7 or 8 racers so we run 7 or 8 races so everybody gets to race 6 times and marshal once or twice.

Although it looks like mayhem - the computer screen holds the key with the race lead changing regularly and this is where refuelling and race strategy comes in. With SSDC it burns fuel exponentially based on throttle settings so it will burn twice as much fuel at full throttle as it does at 3/4 throttle. As a racer you then need to decide whether to go full out and suffer more refuelling stops or ease off the throttle and hope you make up laps when the faster ones take their extra stops.

It also helps to keep aware of crashes because you can often change lanes to avoid a crashed car but if you don't it can cost you half a lap in delays.

The ten minutes goes really quickly when you are racing - and seem to go on forever when you are marshalling!!!

Hi Michael,

We found some issues with the Ninco1 braids - they are more sensitive to being slightly out of shape than Scaley braids for some reason. A couple were running really ragged - like they had air in the fuel lines! - bending the braids to make better contact and a little inox and they run sweetly now. We run them magless. I find a tightened body works best (the rest insist on loosened bodies but as I won 5 out of 6 races and came 2nd in the other one - I think stiff body works best with these cars). We also had problems with cars carrying straight on at sharp bends - hypersensitive to elevation changes - so we add weight up front. I added two brass rivets in the nose of mine - secured with Blu Tack until I was sure the weight was right. The motors are remarkably close to each other in performance.

You should try this on your car - you may change your mind about it.

I was sorely tempted by your whole day event on the 29th but as I posted in your thread I can't make the date

However - I think a little inter-club challenge could be on the cards if you are up for it. One round at yours and one round at ours. If we all come then a minibus makes it more viable seeing as we are about 250 miles apart! Maybe a weekend event - we have an awesome Indian Restaurant in Ammanford!

·
Greg Gaub
14,645 Posts
What kinds of things have you done to the Ninco 1 cars? I remember seeing you post some descriptions and pictures, but can't find that thread. You also mention "tubing the axle" in a recent post about tires, and I was wondering what that meant. I'd like to tune mine up the best I can (without replacing parts) and suggest it as a class for my clubs, but the few things I've done don't seem to have made much impact.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
It was lee's car so might have to get it off him and have a look myself

You missed a good day

Re inter club challenge , maybe a team helicopter would be quicker

How is you club going now you have been running a few times now

Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts