SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd put up some pics of my finished 1/24th Nissan Deltawing. What a nightmare to fit the front end and guide in, I had to lose some of the bodywork to get the guide to turn. The chassis is an Iso Fulcrum hinged from the back of the chassis. The motor is a Trinity Evil 9 37000 rpm, similar to the Falcon but more torque and brakes. Probably handle like a pig but won't know until next week

·
Circuit Owner
5,893 Posts
Make sure nobody stands at the end of a straight - if it fails to corner you could be had up for manslaughter

Fab car by the way

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments, I think we will have to issue the marshall at the end of the main straight with a cricket box

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jaak, Don't like to hang about. On to the next project now, a 1/24th Lotus Cortina

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a follow up on the Nissan Deltawing. I have now given the car a fair amount of of running and have to say I'm amazed with it. It doesn't topple over on corners in fact it handles better than alot of normal cars. You can roll it if you are an animal with it but it is very happy to hang it's tail out going round corners. Why it doesn't handle like a Reliant Robin I don't now, pehaps it' the distance between the front and rear wheels or the wide rear track. The car is very light, so seriously fast in a stright line. I may have a go at building a 1/32nd one but the problem will be getting a guide in, it was a struggle with this one. Perhaps a pin guide like the old Scalextric. I do think that Nissan have got something with this car worth persevering with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tony its been a longtime since your last visit to Pinewood Raceway, Nigel Barrow here as I'm am currently working at Nissan technical Center in Cranfield I would be interected in showing the team there your handy work, and perhaps get some offical recognition for your slotcar. What do you think could we discuss. You can find my e mail address on the Pinewood Website
www.pinewoodraceway.com

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Well done Bigtone looks fantastic. I love out of the square thinking and engineering. Would be interesting to see how this goes compared to other scratch builts with similar motors/tyre specs.

Would be great to see NSR or Slot.it put one of these out to race against the Audi's etc.

Ray

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Ray
The Delta wing has had a fair bit of running now and it is not up with the fastest scratchbuilts but quite near them. It is faster than most in a straight line, mainly due to being very light. I think the tail out handling is due to the narrow rear tyres, with normal width tyres it may be more inclind to topple over. It's been an interesting experiment. I hope Nissan persevere with it

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me it's quite sure:
(1) The front wheels close to each other and thus close to the slot is effective
(2) the long distance between front and back wheels makes its easy steering
(3) I quess you need to more relative weight in the front for more effect

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
only just seen the pics Big T, fantastic. waiting for my 1/32 scale and decals from patto,s. looks like i,m going to have a laugh with the the front end. john

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks John, it was an interesting build and goes far better than expected. I think the only type of guide you will get in a 1/32nd version would be an old fashioned pin type. It has travelled a fair bit too, went to a meeting at Pinewood for a demo and then to Nissan's head office and back to me.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
thats a feather in your cap Big T. i,m doodleing with the front wheels coming straight off the guide with steering on it as well, wont know for sure till i get the body. john

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Richard, Ithik they may use some thing in the in house magazine. When it arrived back, it came with spare Falcon motor for lending it to them.
John that may work, I see AA Bodies are doing a 1/32nd resin body of it now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts