SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Hi guys,
I'll add a bit more to Bill's post if I may.
1st. The latest Group C cars come with an off set motor pod and bigger diameter rear wheels.
On the long straights at North London this will give them a top speed advantage over the earlier cars.
2nd. The Classic cars, GT40, Alfa 33, Chaparral and Ferrari 312PB are all sidewinders and you can't convert them to inlines without removing the interiors.
The standard gear ratio for these is 11:34.
At most Slot.It open meetings they are usually run as a separate class however, at least at Rockinham, we have found the performance to be very similar to the Group C cars.
We have also raced plastic cars with sponge tyres and they're fine.
They make the cars easier and more predictable to drive at the limit without the sudden loss of adhesion you get with rubber tyres.
Hope that's helpful.
Cheers.
Mick.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Hi Steve,
The white endbell motor is rated at 25,000 rpm but with quite low torque.
The orange endbell motor is rated at 21,500 rpm but with much higher torque.
At Rockingham they have very similar performance, we allow either.
At North London you will probably find that the orange has better acceleration out of the corners and the white has a higher top speed.
Over a whole lap it will probably equal out.
Cheers.
Mick.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Hi John,
Most clubs run to a Slot.It parts only rule.
The Slot.It Group C Challenge rules are a good starting point.
You do need to have some sort of controls on what can be used as the Slot.It upgrade range is huge and, if you're not careful, it could get very expensive.
Some clubs allow a change of rear tyres as Slot.It don't seem to be able to decide what works and what doesn't consequently their range is very confusing.
The tyres the cars come with are more for show than go and some of the replacements are silicon.
We allow the motor to be glued in but they are a good fit so it's probably not necessary. The latest motor pods have screw fitting for the motors.
Axle bearings are spherical self aligning type fitted into the motor pod so gluing them is probably not a good idea unless they are loose in their mounting.

Basic car set up.
Glue and true the front wheels and tyres. Set the front up as low as you can. The latest cars have screw adjustable front ride height.
Body mounting screws backed off about 1/2 turn to allow some body rock.
Motor pod screws backed off a little to allow the pod to move freely. you'll need to experiment with this to find the best option.
A bit of weight on the motor pod in front of the motor.
If you find the nose lifts under acceleration then you'll have to put some weight up front as well.

If you do run sponge tyres you will have to use a different brand of wheel as Slot.It don't do anything suitable.

Cheers.
Mick.

PS. When you get back PM me and I'll send you all the Event dates for 2013. I hope you can find a non-clashing date this time.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Hi Steve,
The can end drive motor pod in your car is now obsolete.
The Group C cars all now have endbell drive motor pods.
The Slot.It Group C Challenge rules only allow the endbell drive pods to be used.
Personally I don't think it makes any difference what so ever but the rule makers did not agree.
Cheers.
Mick.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Steve,
To be honest I wouldn't bother to swap your motor pod.
I really don't think it matters unless you plan to enter the Slot.It Group C Challenge.

John,
I believe all the orange endbell motors have a double shaft these days.
What I find odd is that Slot.It have dropped the can drive inline pod for that motor in favour of endbell drive but have now released a new range of side and anglewinder pods for it that are all can end drive. Go figure!

Cheers.
Mick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.