SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting to see Argos catalogue out today with no Carrera sets anymore - Scalextric. Can we read anything into this at all?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I guess the new Argos catalogue is the Spring/Summer one? It always has less toys then the Autumn/Winter one that is aimed at the Xmas market.

Coop

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yea- I forgot about the fact it was spring/summer not christmas. Still, it must show that Carrera hasn't performed as well as Argos had hoped in sales terms? They wouldn't have dropped it otherwise no? They had the le-mans set at half price for ages seems they couldn't give it away!

Now I'm having to reconsider my view on Carrera as my long-term choice - it may have to be Scalextric purely because of its availability and popularity. I love the wide tracks of Carrera but its gonna be a pain to extend the track affordably.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that sounds like it could be it but I've also noticed Littlewoods have dropped even Scalextric from their website now - havent seen the catalogue so don't know about that.

Been having a look at the CHAMPION TOURERS scalex set - looks like good value there - is this a 2004 set as I can't find it on scalex website?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The Argos "Champion Tourers" set is circuit 4 with a Mercedes DTM and an Opel DTM for under £100 and is an Argos "special". The Opel is unique to this set but not sure about the Mecedes.

It is a carry over from the second half of 2003.

The new Argos sets will not be announced until the Summer.

Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE Perhaps Nikko (UK Carrera distributor) didn't want their product de-valueing by Argos dumping unsold stock again??

I fully understand how Mr Pendle and others are going to feel about this.

Argos would have given Nikko the option of having the unsold stock back. Nikko clearly declined to take the stock back so blame Nikko not Argos or Index. Scalextric probably suffer similar terms and its that type of condition that would put them off selling sets out of the USA Wal-Mart type outfits in the USA for the time being. However, Hornby have more experience of the UK market dare I say?

Could I suggest that you vent your spleen with the Nikko rep when he/she next turns up at your shop with his order book for 2004?

I know precisely what I would do!!!

Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE You think it's good value? Are the cars any good?

The cars are the new DTM cars launched in 2003. You will have to make up your own mind about value but the Scalextric Mercedes DTM beat 4 Fly Racers (yes 4!) at a race last night and I have another Slotforum member as a witness!

It is one hell of a car and should have been included in the 2003 "Car of the Year" poll.

Moped

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
well I have to say then, the fly racers must have not set their cars up or been really **** drivers!

or it was no mag vs mag! where did you race anywho?

rob.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have discovered a new club that is just around the corner.

30 racers there last night on a 6 lane Ninco track. 6 make it through to the "A" final which included 4 Fly Racers and 1 Scalextric Mercedes DTM. The Scalextric Mercedes DTM won on the night. You cannot tell me that there are going to be 6 #### racers in an "A" final are you out of 30?

The Mercedes DTM has hidden depths in the hands of an expert! It was a surpise winner and the club owner did joke after the race "Who said Scalextric cars were no good?"

I had already planned on using the Mercedes DTM next week as it is a much better weapon than an MG Lola as it has the brute force of a NASCAR with almost as much speed as an MG Lola.

There is only one Ninco driver there Inte with the sidewinder BMW.

Moped

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 18 Jan 2004, 12:23 AM)30 racers there last night on a 6 lane Ninco track.
So it was with magnet. otherwise the Merc wouldn't have had any chance.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I know of a way to make those M3's faster than fast mate..

I think those fly porsches need some tuning done!

Rob.

p.s whats this club called?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I only got [back] into Scalextric about six weeks ago - seems so long ago now! I bought the Champion Tourer set from Argos. It was a good starter set and I have since bought loads of extra track and I now have 21 cars, but the best of them is the merc from the Tourers set, or the Opel which is almost just as good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like the Merc DTM is a "Fly Swatter". Sorry.

Circuit "4" for £100 is pretty good though - £30 cheaper than the Lola Le-mans set.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Mail and insurance costs of large Scalextric sets to Germany or anyware overseas combined with exchange rate costs normally make it unecomic to purchase a set in the UK for shipment abroad no matter how good value looks.

Its only normally folk who do not have a local distributor and are desperate who are prepared to fork up.

I will certainly check it out for you over the next few days so keep watching. Unless anybody else already knows what the figures normally are. It was going to be around £35 to ship to the USA for somebody else for just 1 set.

Moped

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
QUOTE I will certainly check it out for you over the next few days so keep watching. Unless anybody else already knows what the figures normally are. It was going to be around £35 to ship to the USA for somebody else for just 1 set.
If you can find a carrier to send a circuit 4 set to the US for £35 let me know. I want a contract with them!
Sean

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 17 Jan 2004, 11:52 PM)The cars are the new DTM cars launched in 2003. You will have to make up your own mind about value but the Scalextric Mercedes DTM beat 4 Fly Racers (yes 4!) at a race last night and I have another Slotforum member as a witness!

This is true as I am that other witness, although I do offer the following cavaets

1 - The class was modified and two magnets so in theory I imagine you could win with anything if it had the right motor, magnet combination and was bolted together reasonably well and...

2 - Slow marshalling and having your view obscured by junior members standing in front of corners does make things a bit of a lottery so staying on and having a bit of luck in not having people jump in your lane perhaps counts for more than pure speed.

3 - A lot of the club members seem unaware that using a 70ohm Ninco controller to run something with a Slot-It V12 or Fly Evo 1/2 and two bar magnets in it is "not a good thing" and I'm convinced a lot of the members are being held back by this hence creating a bit of an artificial gap between those members who know what controller to use and those that just use the club's own ones.

However as a cavaet to the cavaet(!) I must point out that the owner of that Merc is nearly always up at the top of the qualifier list in whichever class is run.

Coop

1 - 20 of 27 Posts