SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By any tips? I don't mean "No mate you don't want one of THOSE!" etc. I have been playing with the evo magnet setup recently and was pleasantly surprised at the way the Dodge Charger 500 drove, apart from not much in the way of brakes! So I was wondering is the lack of brakes something I'll have to "drive around"?

I know Thomas likes his Carreras, so maybe this should be addressed to him, but other people buy the cars too!

Also when I backed off the mags on my Yellow Camaro SS it was getting "crossed up" under braking i.e. the back end was sliding to the left. Would this be due to my light "truing" of the rear tyres or is it just a byproduct of having the front wheels always resting on the track? (Note: I didn't remove the actual tread pattern on the rears)

Many thanks.

Mark.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey Mark,

I've got a Carrera Le Mans Bentley, which acted in basicly the same way as your big yankies will be doing. You will probally have noticed theres alot of resistors on the motor, these have been removed in my car, along with the reverse switch thingy. The carrera motor in my car actually revs to about 26,000rpm. But had very weak breaks - it's a charactoristic of the motor it's self. The gearing is also a bit dodgy, which was making the brakes even weaker on the Bentley. The weight of the car probally doesn't help either. Even with all this work done to it, it's been made faster, but not possibly as fast as a ProSlot Toyota GT1.

Hope that helped a lil bit,
Best of luck!

Jim (of the future)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input James. I've already de-loused the electrics! One of the first things I do
Just wire-motor, wire-motor now. I'll just enjoy sending them around the track.

If you're going to be called Jim of the future, then is Edward going to be known as Fast Eddie?

Mark.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Great fun without magnets, just remember to ease off the throttle early and nurse it into the bends. On the big NASCARs I like to use the weight to get the back sliding and then power on gently. Sounds like I know what I'm doing, doesn't it.

The sliding to the side when braking in due to the rears locking up and the torque reversal of the motor. Think how fast the motor moves the car then keep in mind it must offer up some of the same force in reverse. On side-winders this must put weight into the nose or tail and I am sure has an impact on handling.

On my old layout I had then coming off a SCX bridge just at a braking point and the cars used to skip, literally putting the rear in the air. I thought it was a bad joint, but by keeping a little throttle on over the crest I could keep the car in the slot much better.

Scott

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Ecurie Ecosse @ 13 Mar 2004, 02:06 AM)Sounds like I knwo what I'm doing, doesn't it.

The sliding to the side when braking in due to the rears locking up and the torque reversal of the motor. Think how fast the motor moves the car then keep in mind it must offer up some of the same force in reverse.
Sounds to me like you know what you're doing too, Scott!

Of course the torque reaction
I didn't think that the tyres were so far out of size (diameter) with each other. Right adjustable brake controller waiting in the wings, although maybe with Carrera cars it may not be very good.

Incidentally, does the sliding magnet come out easily? Or do I have to break off the plastic stop at the forward end of the metal plate?

Mark.

·
Premium Member
5,608 Posts
Ah, Diff. You beat me to it with this thread. Since last Tuesday I've been meaning to start a topic asking the great and the good hereabouts what I can do to my Bentley to pep her up.

I know, I know. I usually pour scorn on those who "hop up" their cars but now I'm a fully fledged Carrera owner I can see why they do it - she lacks omph.

You can also blame young Sean: the little tinker stuck a Slot It leaflet in the last order I had off him and it got me all curious.

Now, I don't want to change the motor, not if I can help it, but I am thinking of changing the gears and the axle. What should I go for? And regarding all those little resistors, should I pull them all? Even the little fellows that bizarrely seem anchored to the can's side? I'm not going to screw up everyones' TV reception for miles around if I do that, am I?

Hope I'm not stealing your thread, Diff.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Difflock said:
QUOTE Incidentally, does the sliding magnet come out easily? Or do I have to break off the plastic stop at the forward end of the metal plate?

They do come out reasonably easy, I pulled mine out the end nearest to the guide with a small flat bladed screwdriver and a pair of pointy nose pliers. I had to take the rear magnets off because they were too powerful and the plastic shroud got stuck on some of my older Scaley classic track pieces. After trimming the guides down they run OK.

I've got an earlier Hemi 'Cuda that never ran right. I love the body but loathe the chassis. Next project, fit a Scaley TransAm chassis under it.

Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
With regards to no brakes on the Nascar. It is reacting just as the real cars do so I would say drive around it. I have removed the magnet from mine. I have to remove the resistors from the motor as it is playing up once the motor warms up.

Vince

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have not tired it ( I only have 2 carrera cars and the wheels are so off center the cars can't be run) but changing the gears is said to be a big help in both acceleration and braking..

I know that the cars are geared low.... and something in the 3.5:1 area will give better pickup and help with the braking problem.....

Chris

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, Wankel! No probs - you're not stealing my thread, just adding to it. As I said, I've removed all that electrickery ballast completely, and the motor doesn't affect a tv which is 3 feet away
But that's my tv - I don't know about the rest of the village's

Regarding a Bentley I've fitted GOM lo pro tyres to the front wheels so that the front of the chassis isn't pointing to the sky anymore. The older American cars - Camaro, Charger,'cuda etc. don't have this problem. Their chassis seem to sit level.

Mark.

P.S. I've figured out about removing the front mag! That's what the chamfered fornt lugs are for. Just break the magnetic attraction and remove the mag at an angle, front end down

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
I have one of the earlier Audis which I set up for no mags I also changed the gears for scalex as the fine carrera one gave up ,to do this I had to cut a clearance hole in the chassis ,As Diff pointed out the gom fronts work well but Ialso lowered the guide by shaving the front of the chassis and turning the front bearings round ,you cant do this with the new ones I also fitted a set of my home made wheels and tyres to the rear .slackened the body mounts off a great deal and removed the extra locating pegs.The whole set up runs quite well now but took a lot of work.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (JBriggsK9 @ 13 Mar 2004, 04:56 PM)I know that the cars are geared low.... and something in the 3.5:1 area will give better pickup and help with the braking problem.....

Chris
Chris, I wouldn't say that the cars are geared low, apart from the GTO Hot Rod. By low do you mean a low numerical ratio so higher top speed?
I've just checked my latest Dodge Charger (Al Unser's from 1969) and it 27/9 so it has "normal" gearing of 3:1 which on paper sounds fine, or am I missing something (a few brain cells maybe?)

Obviously a 3.5:1 ratio will make some difference as you say.

Mark.

·
Premium Member
5,608 Posts
QUOTE P.S. I've figured out about removing the front mag! That's what the chamfered fornt lugs are for. Just break the magnetic attraction and remove the mag at an angle, front end down

Alternatively, break off the little itty bitty "L" shaped piece of plastic that prevents the magnet from sliding all the way out of its channel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Carrera Bentley:

BACKGROUND:
The car looks so damn nice, in pictures and in the flesh that I just had to buy one when on a Business trip. Imagine the disappointment when it just didn't run when I got home. It was immediately relegated to the back of the cupboard.

On an impulse it came out with a whole bunch of other cars for some "routine mods".

METHOD:
- Switch and associated wiring removed.
- Front axles narrowed to remove play
- Little Ripper motor installed, (secured with hot glue, my latest best kept secret)
- Rear bushing carrier removed.
- Std rear axle and gear removed.
- Custom plastic bushing carriers fabricated and CA glued in. (Used thin sheet with a cutout)
- Slot.It axle mounted with brass bushes
- Std front & rear tyres used to retain the correct scale apprearance
- Front & rear body mounts shaved down
- Middle body locating pins removed
- Gearing is 8:30

As I run on Ninco track, soon also magna-braid, I will test with two button magnets on either side of the motor, towards the back of the car.
- Lead to be applied under the rear axle on either side of the gear.
- Lead to be applied under the front axle, (maybe, depends on further testing..)

RESULT:
Bloody marvelous !
Good acceleration, brakes OK on a small track, but I reckon this will be one of my wooden track cars.

T

·
Premium Member
5,608 Posts
Would that be the Slot It axle that appears in their leaflet with the description "Carrera"?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Isn't the Bentley on an Evo chassis and so has quite a strong mag underneath the pinion already?

Mark.

·
Premium Member
5,608 Posts
Yus, you are correct there, Diff. The B has an extra mugnut to remove.

Ouch! Just checked the price of that Slot It Carrera axle.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WAAY HEEY!

I was at Slot Tech last night and decided to remove the mags from my Carrera cars. I was actually pleasantly surprised! Yes, they didn't have much in the braking department, but as had been advised, I tried driving round that. However, I did notice that the brakes were better than if I'd left the front magnet in. My black dodge Charger still had this mag fitted and it definitely didn't want to slow down much at all. Once the mag was removed, it became easier to drive. I suppose that the magnet was providing more ballast than drag and hence the car had more inertia.

Despite fishtailing and slides on demand, the cars do have reasonable straight line speed - enough to maybe pressure other drivers into making mistakes, despite me braking sooner! Speaking of slides, SLot tech has a 180 degree corner at the end of the main straight and on the inner two lanes it's more like a hairpin. I was running on black lane (next one out from green which is the tightest). Once, just once I got the "braking" and subsequent amount of throttle spot on. The Charger stuck it's tail out all the way round the bend and ended up pointing in line with the next straight. I snapped the throttle open, no fishtailing and she shot up the straight! You should have been there. It's what slot racing is all about, apart from winning stuff
IT was a Zen moment in my slot racing "career".

If only I can repeat that consistently

Mark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts