SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being an old sod, ie with things like Tyco Pro and Riggen and Faller as mainstay and MT and G+ as heretical, I wonder if anyone else is working on making the Tyco 440 chassis w/o magna?

My personal set-up is: remove traction magnets, add cut-down slide guide, add round grounded cut in half BSRT Dark Grey silicones. And run at 12V.
Experiments have been made with exchanging the motor magnets with far smaller neodymium. Time hasn't been set aside for it thou.

Any others working on things like this?

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Hi Erik, something similar has been done in the UK in the past, the traction magnets are removed and brass weights put in their place, they go under the name of Tyco-jet's!

MBR on this forum has done it!

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes, that would be the first thing, the first step.
But adding weight and keep rubber only go so far.

Adding rounded and narrow silicone tires and a slimmed and cut down Slide Guide make the cars power slide and not spin out.
Also replacing the motor magnets with neo's will remove practically all magnatraction.

Which by the way is what I find the down side with the G-Jet. Motor magnatraction is still quite high (far above a MT and even an G+) if I'v read the spec's right.
Any one know more about that?
I'm unwilling to shell out £39 for a rolling chassie and find out that my own T440NMT are more fun...
...but they (Scale Auto) still supply the tires I cut in half and round off!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Several of us have the brass weighted cars here Eric, you can buy the weights from the US for many more chassis than just the Tyco Slow mentions.

Like the GJ, they slide a little, but nothing like a 1/32nd car would. For that you need to look more at the kinds of things you are

·
Rich Dumas
3,601 Posts
We will be running a class for Tyco 440X-2 cars with brass weights in place of the traction magnets during the coming season. Brass weights from JWs, part # MM01, are specified. I have not yet built a car for that class, but I have been running G-Jets for several years. A G-Jet has a slightly less powerful motor and is intended to be run at 12 volts. We will also be running the Tyco cars at 12 volts, but those have 6 ohm armatures VS the 9 ohm armature in a G-Jet. G-Jets have more downforce from the motor magnets than Tycos do and the Tyco magnet pockets are smaller. My experience with the G-Jets is that you can slide them a little. We will be switching from silicone on sponge to slip-on silicone tires and that may change how the cars handle. Compared to a 1/32nd car an HO car that wants to slide a lot is not necessarily going to be a good thing if you are going to race because a slide can more easily turn into a spinout.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That, RichD, is why I use a cut down Slide Guide. The car can slide out about 45° and will de-slot instead of spin out if you over cook it.
An alternative, if you insist on brass, is an ordinary 5x5mm square rod, to be cut at about 6mm lengths.

And you might as well skip the brass weight actually. At least when using silicones.

Using well rounded, basically round(!), the car slide better over the rails and also is less susceptible to dust.
But to make that round off the tire need to be narrow to start from. I've found splitting an ordinary BSRT Dark Grey in half, ie one tire for two hubs, work well.

The rounding part is self indicating. Less rounded give more grip, more dust and more bouncing. And if you cut it uneven thick... the spec might say "broader on right hub".

Another thing that add to the enjoyment of power cruising is to add a 2.2Ω 10W resistor to each track. On return wire (and thus leaving each driver to actually want to have brakes on).

I realise I have to put forth some pics of what I mean...

And I must add... Really good to see the 440NMT getting out of the dusty box on the lower shelf! Great work guys!

·
Rich Dumas
3,601 Posts
Here is a 440X-2 with weights in place of the traction magnets. The car has less magnetic downforce than a G-Jet and does not take the corners as well. Smaller diameter front tires would help, but the rules for this class mandate 0.350 inch diameter tires. At one time BSRT had better ceramic motor magnets for these cars, but those would not be legal either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts