SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NNRC inaugural championship is drawing to a close with just two meetings left this year.

Dates are 9th & 23rd December (Thursdays). Visitors/potential new members are welcome.

Classes for these next two meetings are ;

SCX Sprung guide F1
Subaru Imprezas-Any manufacturer, but no Prorace.
Ninco McLaren- Any standard motor configuration i.e. NC1/2/5
Cars from the Movies- Any car that features in a Movie- Not livery specific, so a Mini (Italian Job) Beetle (Love Bug) Aston DB5 (James Bond) etc.

Forum members PM for more details.

Lurkers contact via methods in the header( or join the forum - we're not that bad)

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First annual NNRC championship now finished. Well done to Mark!

First meeting of the 2005 championship is on Thursday 6th. Classes have been picked as follows;

1. GTS- Any GTS car from any manufacturer i.e. Corvette, Saleen, Viper etc.
2. BMW 3-Series- Any slot manufacturers version of the Beemer 3-Series from SCX's original through Hornby's disaster to Fly & Ninco's latest version.
3. Hornby DTM- Opel and Merc DTM cars.
4. Gumball Rally 2004- Any of the wide variety of vehicles entered in last years event from a Fly MAN truck or Pink Kar 2CV to Ferrari F40 or Lamborghini Murcielargo.

These will be run for the next four meetings.

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
The classes for the second group of 4 meetings - 3rd, 17th & 31st March + 14th April- were picked last night.

1. Post 1990 rally (no ProRace Ninco)
2. Trucks
3. Pre 1990 Rally
4. Indy/Champ Cars

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not at the moment, but the track is capable of holding 1/24 races.

Cheers

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New classes picked last night for meetings;

April 28th, May 12th & 26th and 9th June.

1. Classic Small Saloons - Reprotec and SCX Abarths, Revell NSUs, Pink Kar Beetle and 2CV, SCX Fiesta and R5 and all the old Scalextric small wheelers - Minis, Mexicos, Metros, Maestros, Capris, XR3is and 260Zs.
2. Spanish GT - Eligible cars TBC
3. Vanquish MG CanAm/LeMans - No racer lightweights
4. Cobras - Any standard RTR Cobra from any manufacturer including Daytonas.

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The next set of four classes for the next four meetings have been picked as follows;

1. American Muscle - Any all American pre 75 car (i.e. no Cobras or GT40s) from any manufacturer in standard form. So anything from an original 60's Revell 'Vette to their recent Mustang and including Scaley and Carrera Transams and stockers. Even the SCX "dragsters" if you feel like it!

2. GT3 - eligible cars to be confirmed

3. Group C/Imsa GTP - Slot-it 956/962, SCX Jag/Mazda SRS2, Revell March & Scaley Jag/962/Sauber.

4. Trucks (Again!) - Standard SCX or Fly trucks.

Meetings will be held on 23rd June, 7th + 21st July & 4th August.

Visitors welcome!

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, if everybody is OK with it we'll let it in on a probationary arrangement. But if you start running rings round us with it...............

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it was your best class last night, would it?

And the fact that you picked it in the first place!

Just entered the scores into the spreadsheet and, of the 9 heats run in the class, 7 went to SCX Jags & 2 to Slot-it 956. Some of the races were very close for the whole distance which is always great fun.

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, congrats on reaching the milestone of your first heat win

Now you can start to look forward to the next ones - first class win, first 36, first evening win and first yearly championship!

It was a good night (Enjoy your Ante-Natal classes, Jexy?), the racing was close in the GroupC class, several 3 car side by side 10 lap battles and the Slot-its showing more promise, narrowly losing out to the SRS2s 5-4 on heat wins this time!

It was also picking night for the next set of classes for the meetings on 18th August & 1st, 15th & 29th September. The draw ended up as follows;

1. JGTC - Porsche 911GT2/3, BMW M3, Honda NSX, Toyota Supra, McLaren GTR -any others Minimental? Just remembered Nissan 350Z!
2. LMP1 - I'm not much of a prototype follower, but basically I think this is any open cockpit LeMans car from the last 10? years. But no racer variants. Might need some help with this one, Nick, as I'd like to put up a list on the noticeboard of eligible cars. Perhaps we can draw one up via PM!
3. Easy one this - Porsches - Any slot car Porsche except Fly Racer 911 GT1 98.
4. Another easy one - LeMans - Any car that ever raced there, again with the exception of racer variants.

Should be interesting as with quite a bit of "crossover" between classes and the house "car can only compete in one class per night" rule, people may well get to run second and even third string cars.

It also goes to show that open wheelers don't have many fans down our way, though, in truth, two of the unsuccessful nominations were for them.

Cheers,

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (Nick49 @ 24 Jul 2005, 17:30)Spirit - Lola B2K/10 (in its various guises) OR ARE THESE RACERS?

Fly - ?

Do most of the JGTC class come from the new range from Ninco? Finally, I take it I can run my Slot.It Newman Porsche 956 in the Le Mans class and the Slot.It Canon Porsche 956 in the Porsche class.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I've sorted the LMP list. The Spirit is available as a Racer, but we will only allow the standard ones. They also do the Dallara and Reynard. Fly also do the Lola B2K (as do Team Slot), Panoz LMP and Joest Porsche. SCX did a Ferrari 333SP and for the masochists, Carrera did Audi R8, Panoz LMP & BMW V12!

The JGTC was a class in the last set of Monday nights and was mainly Ninco Hondas & Proslot Porsches. We need Minimental to help out here.

It'll be fine to run two different Slot-its on the same night. I'm considering running a different Proslot Porsche in everything but LMP!

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have a Cartrix Honda myself. The only car of theirs that I have any real experience of is the Merc historic Gp car. That was overpowered, which I have a feeling is a common trait with Cartrix. I fitted my Merc with an NC1 for my own preference, but then I wasn't running it in a class for standard cars.

Your probably better off getting along to our local supplier and buying the Ninco version and making use of the club discount available to members.

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hmmmm!!

Tricky one this!

Always have to have one eye on the possibility of a precedent being set.

Let's put it this way. Why do you want to remove it?

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
QUOTE (Nick49 @ 6 Aug 2005, 12:06)How successful, probably not very but I will enjoy it all the same.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the spirit! Race what you want to race, not what you feel you have to! IMO that's the first step in the fun going out of it.

Having said that, make sure you load the back of that Marcos with as much weight as possible. Coz if you thought your TVR was bad...........

No sign of any Airfix track at Sandown btw, but I did do a deal with one of the stallholders for a bulk purchase of Policar Porsche 911 GT2s. They will be eligible for three out of the next four NNRC classes. So if that Marcos ends up making you tear your hair out

Never seen a CK2 used in anger, looking forward to it.

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Nick

I was planning on keeping the white one myself and taking the spares to the club in case any of the lads want one. I can keep one back for you till next NNRC night if you'd like. Got red or yellow, any preference?

Jim

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Erm............

I haven't got you down for a win in your Ferrari, Nick! Unless you're splitting the heat into classes. Two wins in the Porsche class are noted down, though

I was a bit worried when the classes were picked that they were all a bit "samey", but it gave a nice dilemma of which class to use your good cars in when they were eligible for more than one. It also made for interesting varied grids, often the six lane grid was filled with cars from 5 different slot car companies!

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
QUOTE (Nick49 @ 1 Sep 2005, 15:11)I was also testing my Ninco Orange Arrows A23 which goes well apart from both rear wheels coming off.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not usually a fault with Nincos when running non mag, so I suspect you might have been giving it a thrashing on the Airfix track at home

Is that old CK2 904 ready for racing yet? I'm looking forward to seeing it go!

See you tonight.

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yes, it is "picking night" this week!

Your tenth meeting already!

Don't forget that it is only the people who draw cards 1-4 that get their pick accepted.

Mind you, checking the score sheets for your previous nine meetings shows that you have only drawn higher than no.4 once, so I shall have to check the cards for marks

I'll have to start thinking about my pick!

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hi Nick,

The Policar Porsche is OK for JGTC. (And the Porsche & LeMans classes for that matter - perhaps you should have bought more than one from me
)

And I have it on good authority (Scott, actually, just in case it's wrong) that the World Rally Car championship started in 1994, which is the era I meant when I picked the class. So the first SCX Scooby and the Delta are ineligible, but I'm not sure if any of the new guys bought one from Tony on Thursday night, so I may have to let the Delta in!

As for the new classes, they are as follows:

1. Hornby DTM - Any standard Hornby Mercedes or Opel DTM car
2. Ferrari - Any standard Ferrari slot car
3. WRC - Any standard WRC or JWRC slot car from the last ten years (No Prorace Ninco)
4. Pre -73 GT - Any slot car fitted with a front motor that is a model of a GT car raced prior to 1973. I'll do some research and post a list of eligible cars in the club.

Dates for these classes are 13th & 27th October and 10th November. Note only three dates as we are getting towards the end of the year and it's either two lots of three classes or one lot of six. And it's always good to have an excuse to buy more slot cars

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hey Nick,

Good old Google came up with some words from one Mr. John Greenwood, who suggests the "wide-bodied" 'vettes didn't appear till '74.

MRRC Cobras, Hornby Lotus 7s, Fly Alfa GTAm & Ferrari Daytona and the Revell Grand Sport, Mustang, Daytona Cobra & Porsche Spyder
are all front motored and within the specified time frame. Reprotec did a version of their Cobra with a front motor, too, but it doesn't have a driver, so will be discounted as the devil's spawn.

I think the Carrera Thunderbird is a front mount too, so I suppose that fits the criteria.

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Short answer ; No.

I like to see varied grids, but I'm always wary of setting precedents. Standard cars is easy to keep on top of.

Anyway Nick, you could do one of your excellent reliveries on a Scaley car for something different!

1 - 20 of 478 Posts