Slot Cars Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1480 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi Jim, to me you seem know everything about cars, racing and people related (I am not being sarcastic}, as do others in the club/s, however I do caution at using Wikipedia as the definitive correct source of info, which by it's nature can at any time contain rogue info. I make great use of WP and find the wealth of info a great distraction, just as I do when confronted with a dictionary and especially any kind of map.

Oh No - Digression WARNING !
One way of checking the WP accuracy is to look at an entry about something you know all about. My late father has a listing in WP and for many years it was shot through with inaccurate info, some of which was clearly expanded from the truth, which for the unknowing made it seem the likely truth. Over the years my fathers listing has changed and now is correct.

A book has recently been published about my dad that goes into his life in the greatest of detail. It was penned by a researcher whose family had long standing connections with my dad, such is the detail and the numerous cross references, that despite me finding it of great interest I think it would be a testing read for most.

Perhaps the publishing of this book and a comment I posted on WP a few years ago has finally got the listing in order - but is took many years to reach 100% accuracy. My dad's Wiki listing .

Oh No - Further digression WARNING !

I didn't know when Graham Hill died, so I went to look it up and got digressed, I found a PDF copy of the crash report. In my flying days, the must read of my monthly Pilot Magazine was 'crash of the month'. Besides the vital info it passed on, I liked the straight forward, down the line way of the reports - "A glass of wine the pilot had with his meal may have contributed to his lack of judgement......"

The GH crash report doesn't disappoint (me), with detailed reports into everything, Graham is never referred to by name but only as "The Pilot". This could be a crash report about anyone. And there lies the question - taking it from on line, print, radio, TV or direct speech - if we were not there and can remember accurately, how do we ever know what is the truth?.

As for me now, I am off to correct the Club web site which Tim says contains an inaccuracy......

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Tim did mention that Graham Hill died in 1983, but Jim is right. The correct year is 1975.

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,423 ·
Aaaaaah! That explains it!

That'll be the same Tim whose unsuccessful pick was Hornby & Flybe Cosworth F1.
wacko.png
lmfao.gif

So the next set of classes run on the

5th,12th,19th & 26th July

+ 2nd & 9th August

will be;

• Hornby NGTC
  • Ninco One Muscle
  • Go-Karts
  • Graham Hill Tribute

Hornby NGTC is for any standard Hornby model of the BMW 125, Honda Civic, MG6 or VW Passat

Ninco One Muscle is for any standard Ninco One model of Camaro, Corvette or Mustang

Go-Karts is any standard go-kart from any manufacturer.

Graham Hill Tribute is for any standard race (not rally) car that was produced between 1958 & 1975 from any manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'm having a bit of a clear-out, and I will be bringing some cars for sale on Thursday. Unboxed cars £5, boxed cars £10. All working. Some (not many) need tyres. Worth a look.

·
Registered
617 Posts
CLUBMAN REGULATIONS CHANGE

As from now:

The only way to promote from Clubman is by winning entirely an evening or a series.

There is no path back into Clubmans, once you are out - you are out.

The idea behind these changes is to keep Clubman class better populated.

It will also be much simpler to manage, which is a very good idea. :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
More cars to sell tonight, this time £15. Also some at £20 (Racer Sideways and Slot-it).

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,427 ·
I've just bought a former Petersfield club member's race cars and the surplus will be coming along to club for sale.

Mostly Ninco, SCX & Scalextric and a few other oddments (Revell, Carrera, Vanquish MG).

Bring cash for some bargains.

Reactions: Jason s

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
Could everybody check their boxes from tonight's racing. I think someone may have inadvertently picked up my phone and I am lost without it. All my work comes through that phone, so it's really important I get it back . Preferably tonight or early in the morning.

Cheers,

Jim

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,429 ·
Classes picked last night for the meetings on;

16th, 23rd & 30th August

6th, 13th & 20th September

are as follows;

1. Hornby Muscle
  2. SCX Rally pre-WRC
  3. Lotus/Caterham 7
  4. Ninco GT

All classes are for standard cars.

SCX rally class is a combination of our usual classic rally & Group B classes.

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,430 ·
Due to the unavailability of some SCX tyres, particularly Renault 5 and Delta S4, this class only is allowed to use the tyres from another slot car. This does not include aftermarket Urethanes of any type. Keith has been looking into what fits them, so ask him for the info if needed.

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,431 ·
New classes picked for the next lot in time for new candidates to be acquired at Havant swapmeet.

Dates are;

4th, 11th, 18th & 25th October

1st & 8th November

1. WRC
  2. Ninco JGTC
  3. SCX GT
  4. Hornby F1 DFV

WRC is for any manufacturer - all other classes are maker specific.

Class 4 is for any model of an F1 car that would have run a Cosworth DFV engine produced by the UK Scalextric company. See Tim for eligibility.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I've done some research, and according to Wikipedia (so it must be true, hee hee) the Ford GT competed in JGTC, GT300 class, in 2006.

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,433 ·
It didn't, it competed in Super GT!

But I'm not going to complain because it would mean I can't run my Mosler and, more importantly, Dave wouldn't be able to run the Lexus I told him to buy yesterday!
smile.png
unsure.png

Reactions: pressbutton

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,434 ·
Last set of classes for this year have been picked.

So on;

15th, 22nd & 29th November

6th, 13th & 20th December

We will be running;

1. Hornby 70s F1
  2. Hornby NGTC
  3. Slot-it Group C
  4. Sebring 12 hour (1965 - 70)

All classes are for standard cars - first three are maker specific.

Last one is for any standard model from any manufacturer of a car that raced at the Sebring 12 hours between 1965 & 1970. See Peter for eligibility.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Seems some of you do not know about the upcoming Farnham Challenge series of three rounds:

At Bolwextric on Monday, Nov 12th.

Farnham on Wednesday, Nov 21st.

Home Farm on Tuesday, Nov 27th.

see more detail.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Congratulations to Jim, winner of this year's NNRC championship.
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,437 ·
Thank you Peter, it is nice to be back at the top of the pile after 13 years as an also ran!
biggrin.png

I'm also glad that I can relieve some of the pressure off of you after having to "defend your championship" for 5 years. I guess that is my job now, though I didn't realise it was a thing!

Are you now going to be the Man Utd. of Bolwextric and hover between 4th and 8th in the championship for the next few years?
tongue.png

Still some excitement to be had over the final two "proper" meetings of the year, last spot on the championship podium is still up for grabs with Keith having a slender 13 point lead over Wes.

Anyway, onto far more important matters, last night was also picking night for the first set of classes for the 2019 NNRC championship and the successful picks were;

1. Hornby NASCAR
  2. Hornby Group B rally
  3. Ninco Vintage
  4. Ninco GT

Dates are

3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th & 31st January

7th February

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
Here is a brief summary of the 2018 NNRC championship, one of the closest for many years.

41 points decided the winner this year and 3rd place was decided in the very last race of the year with Keith taking it from Wes 2610-2609

48 normal meetings and 1 special meeting - we normally have 4 special meetings, but snow, the world cup and Christmas got in the way of 3 of them - were run.

There were 15 different racers on track this year competing on the normal nights, highest attendance was 10 on several occasions and the lowest was 5 twice.

Out of the 48 normal meetings, the majority were won by Peter (23.5) & Jim (20) while the other wins were shared between, Wes, Keith & Reuben.

25 classes were run with the majority again being split between Peter (12) & Jim (10). The others went to Keith & Wes.

Highest score of the year was a club record equalling 141 (out of a possible 144!) by Peter on the 15th February. This was a sign of things to come for that set of classes with Peter winning every single one of his 36 heats in the 70s LeMans class over the 6 week period. Conversely the lowest score of the year was 29 (minimum possible 24) registered by Trigger on the same evening.

Nobody managed a 100% attendance record this year, but Jim, Keith & Trigger all managed 47 out of 48.

We lost a regular member this year with Steve having to work away from home a lot more.

Strangely our furthest travelled award again goes down under with Mike travelling from Oz and popping in to race with us.

Our fourth weekly championship starts on January 3rd, 2019. Will it be as close as this year and could we even see a third different champion is as many years?

1421 - 1440 of 1480 Posts