SlotForum banner
1521 - 1539 of 1539 Posts

·
Jim Moyes
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,521 ·
Picking night is next week, so thinking caps need retrieving from the cupboard. But I expect it will be the usual case of blankly looking at the ceiling - "Oh! I can't think what to have" or " I thought of a really good one last week"
Many a true word spoken in jest! :rolleyes::)

Well, after the ceiling had been subjected to some scrutiny, we managed to get 4 classes sorted!

On 21st & 28th April +
5th, 12th, 19th & 26th May

We will be running ;

1. Hornby 60s F1
  2. LMP Post 2000
  3. Hornby Indy
  4. Hornby GT
All classes are for standard cars with the exception of Hornby GT where the "Monday night" tyre rule applies. Tyres can be changed for any others from any standard slot car, but not aftermarket ones such as Ortmanns and the like. LMP cars can be from any slot manufacturer.

·
Jim Moyes
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,522 ·
Well I suppose it was bound to happen really! After a set of classes consisting of 2 for open wheelers, 1 GT and 1 Prototype, there was going to be some hankering for some saloon action on picking night.

But all four!!

Dates to be confirmed as we still haven't decided on whether to run on Bank Holiday Thursday which would normally be the first night for these classes.

Which are;

1. Scalextric & SCX NASCAR
  2. Hornby NGTC
  3. Hornby 80s Touring cars
  4. Open Saloons
Hopefully these are self-evident - the first three are regularly chosen standard classes. For the 80s Touring class I am prepared to let the original Scaley cars (Metro, Maestro, SD1, XR3, 1275GT, Sierra) have the front axle stiffened up to give them half a chance against the new cars. The fourth is for modified saloons and the debate is already raging on the whatsapp group about what constitutes a saloon.

·
Jim Moyes
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,524 ·
Bank holiday running is on, so the dates for these new classes are;

2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd & 30th June
7th July

Clarification on the "open saloon" class also happened. Four door / three box cars with a bootlid only. No coupes or hatchbacks. This is good as it removes Group 5 entirely as well as NASCAR which we have anyway.

·
Jim Moyes
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,525 ·
Another great night of racing and a picking night too!

So on the,

14th, 21st & 28th of July
& 4th, 11th & 18th August

we will be racing;

1. Open Saloons
  2. Post 2K LMP
  3. Pre'60 Formula Libre
  4. Group 5 (76-82)
Open Saloons is now for 2 and 4 door cars with a boot! Modifications allowed.
Post 2K LMP is for any slot manufacturer and standard.
Pre'60 Formula Libre is for any standard slot model of a car that raced pre 1960. Monday night tyre rule applies.
Group 5 (76-82) is for any standard slot car that ran in the 76-82 era of Group 5 racing.

·
Jim Moyes
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,527 ·
Ordered!

Thanks Peter.

Shame about the livery, but I have to take some of the blame for that.

·
Jim Moyes
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,529 ·
When Geoff still had his shop, he invited me along to the Model Engineer's Exhibition in Brighton. He needed to call into Gaugemaster on the way and see Colette Clark (later of Monarch Lines) about some stock issue. She told us SCX were thinking of doing a special UK limited edition of the Volvo 850 and was there a particular race number that would mean something to UK enthusiasts......

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Tim said alternative commercially available tyres (not urethanes) were permitted in the Formula Libre class.
I would not have gone to the bother of fitting Ninco tyres to my Cartrix and Carrera cars otherwise.

·
Jim Moyes
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,532 ·
I think you are probably right, Pete.

I seem to remember the club Carrera D-types were mentioned on the picking night and they have Ninco tyres.

Don't remember anything about ScaleAuto motors in Cartrix though :unsure: 😂

·
Jim Moyes
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,533 ·
New classes starting next week!

August 25th
September 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd & 29th

1. 70s F1
  2. SCX GT
  3. Ninco NC1 Cup
  4. 65-75 LeMans
70s F1 is for standard F1 cars from any manufacturer that have been produced since 2004.
SCX GT is for any standard GT car from SCX.
Ninco NC1 Cup is for any Ninco car fitted with an NC1 motor even if that model was never available with one.
65-75 LeMans is for standard slot models of LeMans cars produced since 2004. No NSR.

·
Jim Moyes
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,535 ·
That's right Peter. Getting them to stay in place is a battle. I tried an Audi R8 with one last year and it wouldn't stay on the track as well as the old model with the RK motor. I bought the latest Aston Vantage in the TopSlots sale which I'm going to bring to try tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Re: Fly classics. I have noticed that some of these were re-issued post-2004 as 10th anniversary editions and special editions, thus making the originals eligible for my class. That being the case, I am happy to allow Fly classics, but tyres MUST be standard.

·
Jim Moyes
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,537 ·
New classes picked for the penultimate set of this years championship.

So, on;

6th, 13th, 20th & 27th October
3rd & 10th November

We will be racing;

1. Hornby Indy
  2. Hornby NASCAR
  3. 70s F1
  4. Slot-it 90s GT (open)
The two Hornby classes are for standard cars. As is the 70s F1, which is a continuation of the class we are currently running. So only for slot cars produced this century, but from any manufacturer.
Slot-it 90s GT is an open class, so modifications are allowed, but all tyres must be Slot-it.

·
Jim Moyes
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,539 ·
Nothing was specified Rod.

1521 - 1539 of 1539 Posts