SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bougth 2 old Fly cars, Viper Campeón 97 & Marcos LM600 Belcar 2003. Ive got them quite cheap.

Being used to my silent Scaley cars, i thought that Fly cars was supposed to be so noisy. And that maybe was the reason for the good price.

Its not noisy when i am trueing the tires, its only when the car is running on the track!

Well anyway, do you have any idea what causes the noise? It sounds like a coffee grinder!

Morten

·
Registered
265 Posts
Get the body off and take a look around. There aren't many parts there to deeply inspect
. Check for eaten or mismatched gearing, loose bushings, shafts, motor, etc. You can try to run it without the body to determine wether the noise needs the body or if it stays on the chassis. Here's a term my illustrious boss likes to throw around when the obvious is present: G.O.Y.A.A.G.L. (pronounced "goyaggle"; "get off your ass and go look") One of his true gems! Anyway, no offense intended, just having fun with the obvious.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
514 Posts
The times I've experienced any "coffee grinder noise" on my cars it has been caused by a broken crown gear.
Try turning the wheels by hand and see if there is any resistance in the gear mesh. This easily identified the problem on my cars, and the next step was a replacement rear axle assembly...

André

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just being a silly "yank"...

I would glue all the bushings in place. Given that these are both front motor models...it cannot hurt. Then after you do this, with the body still off, I would run the car under power to see if the magnet was loose in the mount. If it is...and you want to keep it...glue it with your favorite adhesive. The Marcos button magnet has a history of popping up and grabbing the motor shaft.

Then check the pinion to see how much of it is "facing" the crown gear. Sometimes I get models that barely have the pinion touching the true gear face of the crown. If you see this..push the pinion a little further up so it mathes the crown nicely...kind of center the pinion with the center of the crown teeth.

And...check the interior. Fly likes to "post-melt" the interior to the body..but sometimes it pops loose. If it is loose...either glue it or melt it back with an old iron.

And finally...nothing beats good break-in. If all these things are solid....just let it run and see if she quiets down. The brass pinion will win in time over the plastic crown.

Harry

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE Then check the pinion to see how much of it is "facing" the crown gear. Sometimes I get models that barely have the pinion touching the true gear face of the crown.

PeteN: This was the problem for me.

Its still a bit noisy, but not as bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts