SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying some non-Carrera cars to run on my Pro-X track, but was wondering if anyone can tell me what other brands have guides that would trigger the flipper return switch on the lane changers. I have a couple of Carrera analog cars and even those guides aren't compatible.

·
Bruce Yingling
1,603 Posts
It's problematic with almost any stock guide from another company. I've never had luck using the stock slot.it, Fly, or NSR guides. Then again, these cars are run non-mag, which makes a big difference.

If I chip a non-Carrera car, I almost always replace the guide with a slot.it wood track guide. That said, I do have a Scaley LMP and an SCX NASCAR with their original guides in place. They both have at least some magnet still in the car, and the Scaley had it's guide deepened by repeated application of Superglue, and, if I remember correctly, a small slice of plastic card.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's good to know. Can those slot.it wood guides be used in any slot car brand?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Do you know of any kind of compatability chart or something for this guide? It would be nice to know what cars it fits before buying a car and later finding out I can't use it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had good luck with chipping non Carrera cars without needing to change their guides (~35 cars so far). I very rarely have problems with the lane changers, no more so than the occasional issues that occur with my Carrera cars.

My point is that I would not figure that you can only do the conversion if you change the guide.

My experience is limited to cars from the following manufacturers (and of course only a limited number from each): Slot.it, Scalextric, AutoArt, Fly, and Ninco. If you have a specific car in mind I would be happy to let you know if I have done that one and how difficult the chipping job was.

I should mention that I am running D132 (bit the bullet and converted all my cars over the past two years) and I run without magnets but with the addition of lead weights to improve handling.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Is the return switch inside the LC track the same on D132 LCs as it is on Pro-X LCs? (same depth)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Hello,

I have converted four Carrera LC's for use in my Fleischmann track. All the mechanics like flipper, solenoid and return switch are untouched, i only removed the LC electronic board and IR sensor. I replaced it for a Scorpius LC board (lane brain it's called). In three LC's I narrowed the Carrera 99 mm. gauge down to Fleischmann / Ninco 90 mm. In the one XLC i used the Carrera chicane track part to bring the 99m. gauge down to 90 mm. So i'm racing now with the Scorpius wireless digital system.

In the track were incorporated 3 Carrera LC's, 1 Carrera XLC, 2 Ninco XLC's and 1 Ninco pitlane entry/exit LC.
I have chipped 21 cars with a Scorpius car decoder, and have been racing all 21 of them on my track.

Now writing this down from my memory, the car brands represented in these 21 cars are:
- 12 Scalextric, mostly modern guide setups, but some as old as late '90's (scalextric Jaguar XJ220 for instance)
- 1 Fly
- 2 Auto Art
- 1 Team Slot
- 2 Ninco
- 2 Slot.it
- 1 Carrera Evolution

All 21 cars could use the Carrera LC without problem, and push the return switch while passing over it. Only a few incidental misses, caused by too high speed, resulting in a lift or slide of the car. No deslots however.
I find the Carrera return switch very forgiving. Only a slight push makes the switch return, thanks to a small spring attached to it.
All cars are non-mag. Some have a little lead weight in the front of the car.
I did not change guide flags or anything, all cars have their stock guide flags. To be honest, i had not thought of it at all, let alone considering it - not since i've read this topic.

I'm not sure if i used Pro-X changers only. I think i did, because they were really cheap, yet new (i payed 10 euro for a XLC)
I tend to think the Pro-X and D132 changers are mechanically identical.

Merc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts