SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Norfolk we are blessed with four analogue tracks, probably more than any other county.... Yet very few people race at all four... I ws wondering why?

I love to race at different tracks and against different people and think it improves my driving. I always race at Norwich on a Monday and Aylsham on a Wednesday then pick and choose whether I go to ASR or Mussel Bay on a Friday if I am not working etc.

I know I have no life but I can only think of John Parr who does the same on anything like a regular basis. The ASR guys come to our monthly Thursday meetings and there is a lot of cross over between those who race at Aylsham and Norwich...but why not try all four?

The tracks are all hugely different, Norwich is the biggest I think, Aylsham is technically tricky while only at King's Lynn (Mussel Bay) do you have long blasts down lengthy straights bfore a sharp turn at the end. And ASR is quite different again - plus you have Jaik to beat when you get there....

Go on guys, try a bit of car sharing to cut costs and try them out. I have always been made very welcome at all four.....

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
That's true, but I think I'm the only slot racer in Ipswich, either that or my reputation is so bad they don't want to talk to me

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Ken, why not set up an uber-club in East Dereham? All those people sharing the rent would mean all the tracks under one roof and guaranteed big turnouts every night.

Except, kicker, the human condition means it probably would not work, and the same goes for more traveling being done. I would assume, since it is the default 1/32nd club set-up the world over, that the cars you can legally use and/or do well with at more than 1/2 clubs are low in number. If that is the case, it does not help matters. Throw in big fish/small pond syndrome and the understandable fact people feel comfortable with a place they can drive to very quickly, and there you have it.

One thing you could try is a five/six way competition where each club provides cars that everyone has to use for their round. You may have seen the Championship League series on this forum, I believe that is what that does.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Got a old cousin who lives there, 3 cars is a traffic jam etc etc.

But it's central and if we are going for wacky scenarios it could for all we know be riddled with large, cheap venues...

I'm not at all serious about the idea, just highlighting that the obvious (large venues with several tracks and all the guys from one area mixing) is not what happens in slot cars, or hobbies in general.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Big cheap venues don't seem to exist, I know of a huge 6 storey open plan office block that sits empty in Felixstowe, the landlords aren't interested in renting out the old canteen for slot racing, it just sits there doing nothing, the electrics still on to the building and the lights work.

And amen to the bit about people from slot car racing not mixing, some do but some seem dead set against trying new things, even at the club they usually race at, in the scale they usually race in, I don't mind if someone doesn't like something, but to not even try it is like dealing with 3 year olds.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
It all comes down to time and place really Ken - not to mention the price of petrol!

Norwich/Aylsham are over an hour's travelling from King's Lynn. If I came over on Monday and/or Wednesday I would get back at way past midnight - with work at 7AM the next day it is just not feasible.

On Thursday we put Mussel Bay's track up for racing on Friday. My other half is extremely tolerant of my obsessions but two nights a week is about her limit. I don't want to end up in the divorce courts!

It is probably easier for those living in the East of the county to get to Presto, NSR and possibly ASR but our members have quite a hike to get to them.

In a perfect world I would love to visit the other tracks more often but, until retirement, I think the occasional outing for inter-club events is all I can manage.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (Lloyd.L @ 15 Jun 2011, 17:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So not too much hope for 1/43 racing in Norfolk when the Kyoshos come out then. He says, ducking out of the line of fire!

Regards, Lloyd

If it was in Diss it would be a lot more tempting for me due to being half the distance of Norwich, but won't 1:43 cars run on the same track as 1:32 cars?

·
Registered
486 Posts
As well as the four Analogue clubs in Nelson's County, there is also, (drum roll emoticon) the 'Worlds Largest Digital Club - ENSCA'. It meets at the bustling metropolis that is Lingwood (esp bustling at Sunday teatime, when the rest of the country is looking forward to the 'Antiques roadshow...).

So, ken, (we have never met, but one day I promise i'll get to Presto, or even Norwich) you could race five nights a week without having to produce a passport.

scalexkid

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have had to cut down of late due to time and cost. We used to have two cars and i would go straight from work but now i have to drop my better half home first and it becomes a rush. I would love to go to Mussel bay more but as the others have stopped going the cost of a 126 round trip is too much. I will be going to Colchester this week so thats the budget gone this week. At the end of the day i think it is the cost of travel more than anything. Lloyd if you want to use the Norwich track for 1/43 you are more than welcome.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Thanks JP, I was thinking about getting a couple of Kyoshos when they come out, Septemberish they say, and bringing them along to a practice day to see if they really are as good as they say. If you remember, I ran a couple of Carrera Go cars round the NSR track and they were total c**p, so would expect them to be a lot better. I have been pestering Modelzone about them as they are Kyosho R/C dealers, but they have heard nothing.

Sorry to hijack your thread Ken.

Regards, Lloyd

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
QUOTE (scalexkid @ 15 Jun 2011, 21:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As well as the four Analogue clubs in Nelson's County, there is also...

That is widely know, hence my suggestion to have a five way inter-club series for the area (Six if the HO club in Lowestoft takes off).

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
But is it the biggest in the world??? When the question was asked it seemed not. Would be interesting to find out for sure. Of the racers we have at the other clubs only one i can think of has an interest in racing Digital. I am watching the Lowestoft HO club with interest though as i enjoyed the meeting Deane staged at NSR.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts