SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks Guys, the Video you have referred to Mr F was our B-Final, all of our racing lately is great and only getting better and some of our tightest racing coming in the A-Finals with 4+ guys fighting for the lead after a whole 15 minute race with pitstops and the guys will be lucky to have 1 or 2 deslots over the whole race. Also the work on the scenery lately isn't for any paticular reason, we just finally got motivation to get stuck into it, and after seeing the result from the first part it has made us want to get into completing it asap.

Billy Cart, the V8's are probably one of the only cars that do require a little work to perfom at their best on wood with no mag, firstly because they have no interior they tend to be lighter than a scaley car with an interior, so we weight them up to around the 105gram mark the only bodies i lower is the VE Holdens and the Older Fords the new FG's dont require lowering other than that i make my own urethanes, to keep tyre costs down around $1-2 per tyre and also by running them all the racers are on the same tyre, MJK and Slotit F Shore tyres work well too but at more cost, i also allow for body float and gluing of the rear axle bearings, alot of other cars i own, Scaley, Slot it, Ninco and other brands dont really require alot of work, just generally tyre but they still work ok with stock rubber too.

Thanks Grant, it is a blast to drive, yes most of the V8's we run are repaints mostly done by one guy from our group who is good at modelling and we all wanted to see different liveries on the grid instead of 3 or 4 cars that look the same, the decals are Pattos waterslide, there are some more repaints still to be done but here is a link to an album with all the V8 repaints my beast is the Black Mother Energy Car V8 Repaint Pics

Cheers John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great track! Your videos are great, show some really close racing.
The repaints are Brilliant!
love the bundy car in your gallery!

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Hi John,

Awesome track!

A couple of questions:

1) How did you do the grass - I like the look of it - especially the patchy bits where it blends with mud - and wanted to shamelessly pinch your ideas!

2) Do you have any problems with cars leaping the armco and crashing to the floor? I am building a track with fast corners at the edge of the track and have been wondering whether I need a secondary barrier behind the armco to catch overenthusiastic de-slots!

Congratulations on your track and well done for finding so many people to come and race.

Richard

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Mash even though i am a ford man i don't mind the look of the Bundy car either, and stay tuned as we just had our 3 Hour Teams Enduro last Friday night and we got heaps of good footage of even closer racing and i will post them up here when i get them uploaded to photobucket. Here is another vid where we stuck a mobile phone to the back of a Fly Truck Onboard footage. Our club only started out less than 12 months ago with 2 guys and now we have over 20 members and have had meets with around 15 guys turning up and we will be starting our first series at our next racemeet so i am looking forward to seeing how that progresses

Mr Modifier, we (i say we as i have a friend who is helping me alot with this project) use Scale Scenics Flock grass but before applying with a food spice shaker we mask up around the track area and also have a few different brown shades of grout powder then with a sprayer bottle with watered down PVC glue spray a light mist on the area you want to cover, then using the spice shaker apply the colour brown grout that you wish to use, then spray again with the glue, then apply the grass with the shaker aswell to the desired amount and we also have a couple of different shades of flock to add to the realism, once appling the amount of grass that you desire then give it another coat of glue then remove any masking up that you have done then let the glue set for around 24hrs before cleaning any mess up around that area. As for the armco fencing yes we have had a the odd car go over the barrier, but most of the armco on the raised section of the track is still yet to be finalised as they are just temporary atm and i am currently starting to think about what i want to do but if they stay they will be getting painted and will be adding some sort of poles and fencing material to add some more protective height above the armco.

Cheers John

·
Greg Gaub
14,980 Posts
Great pics and videos, John! Thanks a ton for sharing!
A couple questions:
1) I think I saw a TruSpeed controller there. Did people bring their own, or do you have one that you keep on the track?
2) Can you tell us how you ran the enduro? I'd like to know stuff like how you set up teams, how you decide when you change drivers, how you deal with crashes, if crashing or fuel determine driver change, if/when you take any breaks, if you rotate the teams through the stations or anything, how the winner was decided if not by laps, how any ties were broken... pretty much everything.

3) what's going on in photo #26? Looks like someone lost parts and they're picking them up?

also, love the guy in the Vodafone team shirt. Clearly, he's really getting into it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
No worries Mr F i love sharing my videos, as for the Truspeed question, yes we have 2 members who own 2 button truspeeds and i have also made up 3 parma conversion truspeeds with 1 button for a few of our members, i have also just recently brought 2 more 2 button truspeeds that i am having problems with and am about to start up a thread in the digital section asking questions since Pendle dont want to reply to my emails, we do have loan controller but i tell the guys that they are better off getting their own as old scaley controllers can be unreliable to use. As for the Enduro it was 3 hours non stop, and 1 week before the race when entries were finalized using the results from the last 6 months or so i split the drivers into teams so that the quick guys could not pair up and dominate the race which helped even out the racing. Their was 2 guys to a team so when not racing you were required to marshall. The driver stints lasted between 20-25 minutes due to fuel burn so when you needed to pit for fuel thats when you would change drivers. Also 10 min before we started qualifying every team was given a brand new set of homemade urethane tires so everyone was on the same tire. In photo 26 one of the guys was pointing out to me the amount of marbles that were starting to build up off the racing line from the tires wearing. Yeah the Guy i the Vodafone shirt is probably one of the few who actually raced with me when i had my old plastic track setup.

John

·
Greg Gaub
14,980 Posts
Awesome!
So, when drivers change out, the race keeps going while the driving member steps aside and switches places with the marshaling member of the two man team? That means that the 3 hour race was truly non-stop? Cool.
I wish I could do that, but my drivers are in a confined space that you can't shift easily in and out of. I'll have to come up with a way to take breaks and switch out team members all at once.
I hope the bad controllers get fixed. My club is also getting frustrated with the OEM controllers, and looking into other options. For the money of the TruSpeed, I expect better.

That's cool about the hand-out tires. Were the cars owned by the racing teams, then? If so, what kind of tuning/setup did you allow? Also neat that they were wearing so much that you could see marbles on the track.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah 3 hours non stop some of the guys had sore trigger fingers by the end of the race and it was cool seeing how guys organized their pit stops for changing over drivers, they were'nt interested in wasting time thats for sure, and yeah all of the guys own their own cars in our group but i do have loan cars for new guys to use at their first racemeets, it was up to the teams to decide what cars they wanted to use for the enduro, most of the cars from our group have been setup by me when they purchase a car so that they have a competitive car to race with as our main class that we run V8 Supercars generally do require mods to get the most out of them but they are simple mods like removing the magnet and adding a little bit of weight and gluing of the axle bearings ect to get rid of the slop and make it a smoother drive and the most extensive mod is on the Holden and that is lowering the body to match the ride height of the new Ford, so in general i try to keep costs at a minimum that is also why i make our tires too

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
those new videos are great! Ive got a few V8's myself and found the Holdens are quite a bit more squirrelly but heaps of fun to drive. I found with my Fords beefing up the motor/pickup wires gave them a bit more oomph. For some reason the the DPR cars have smaller diameter wires compared to the old style.
The tyre handouts are a great idea.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi all,
It's been a while since i have had an update but their has been some progress so here are some pics, their is a cow paddock under construction on the big raised corner at the end of the straight, just need to get some scale cows and finish the fence off. All the light brown painted areas have still yet to be worked on and same with the pits.

still lots more to go yet but its slowly getting their in between our club meets

Cheers John

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thanks guys, as for the Porsches they are great we are now starting to run at GT class and the Porsches are very competitive and probably drive better than the V8 Supercars we run alot

41 - 60 of 85 Posts