SlotForum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great track. You inspired me to make some new wood extended XlC's to add to my plastic track. I have a question about how you hooked up the cross over section. The Scalextric plastic track has the 2 left and 2 right tracks connected with wires under the track. The red and green sections I added to your photo. How did you make this connection on the new wood section of your XLC. Or is there another way to power those "inner lanes" ?

thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Thanks Steve, i just basically countersunk 8 fine Brass countersunk screws flush with the surface before taping, then put a hole through the tape where the screw is once the copper tape is laid then fill the hole with solder and i used a solder sucker if i got any excess which would then make the solder flush with the surface and where the screws protrude underneath the table i soldered wires joining the screws together here is a couple of pics

i hope the pics help

Cheers John

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Thanks Michael, that is a nice collection of Porsche's i only have 7 of them, and yeah digital on wood is great much smoother than plastic and i also enjoy setting up the cars to run on wood

John

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 2 Aug 2012, 12:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey, John, are you converting to Scorpius, or just using their controllers via SSDC?

Sorry for taking so long to reply Mr F, its been a while since i have even looked at my own thread. But to answer your question, no as we have so much scaley stuff already it would be to hard on some of the guys in our club to fork out more dollars to change over. Just using the controllers via Race Coordinator Digital

John

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Well its been a little while since an update and quite a few changes have been made to the track with a redesign of the first couple of turns, larger crossover sections have been routed and some scenery work done. The scenery work is far from finished but am finding the time lately to put more of an effort in to do the scenery and hope to get closer to finished product soon. Also keep in mind that this is a club track run out of my shed at home that gets heavily used every 2nd Friday night and practice sessions in between so I cant go too overboard with the scenery due to having a lot of marshals hanging over the track, we are now making up plans to do some balsa wood pit garages and control tower to make pit lane look much better and I still have to finish of the middle part of the track which I hope to do over the coming xmas break, here are some pics of where its at so far

Here is also a video which was taken yesterday of the start of our annual V8 Supercar Enduro which ran for 1200laps which took 4 and a half hours there was 5 teams with 3 drivers in each team the only time the cars stopped was either when they crashed or in pitlane fuelling up
V8 Enduro Video

Cheers John

·
Registered
778 Posts
Nice circuit. Good work.

Cheers.
Nik.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Wonderful ! I really like the choice of colors for the track and the scenery around It, great job and a very nice track. I'd like to know more about the endurance race, I am planning a similar event in november (4 hrs race in teams of 2-4 drivers), I wonder if there is anything I should not forget ? Did the cars survive the 4 hours, and did you have spare parts and were they necessary ? How big did you make the tank size (or after how many laps a tank was empty) ? Would be great if you can give me some pointers!
Thanks, Marcel

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Thanks Guys, Marcel we have been doing Enduros for a couple of years now and the main issue you will tend to get with the cars is the occasional guide wire breaking that is about it I do let the guys have 1 backup car for the race so if they get an issue with the main car one of the other drivers from that team can remove that car and put the backup car on to keep the laps turning over for them while one of the guys can repair that car and once that car is repaired it must be then put back in the race my V8 lasted the whole 4 and a half hours but it did have to be removed once to have a weight stuck back in position after being dislodged in a bad accident and was off the track for no more than 2 minutes, I gave guys 1000litre tanks and they would last for around 60-70 laps depending on how hard you were pushing the throttle and on my track doing low 12 second laps means that a stint for a driver would last 15 - 20 minutes and they would change drivers when the car was in pit refuelling

Cheers John

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Thank you John, really appreciated, I will prepare substitute cars. 20 mins for a stint sounds good, that is what I am aiming at too. I think I will let the refuel take very long , so it adds to the strategy (about 5 mins for a complete refuel). Back on topic

·
Greg Gaub
14,987 Posts
Wow... 5 minutes for a refuel? That seems inordinately long. Even 1 minute will seem painfully long for the guy(s) refueling, watching all the other cars go by. I can understand making it longer, so that you really want to think about when you pit and how much fuel you take on, but... 5 minutes? Wow. You could make and eat a sandwich in that much time.

·
Simon
389 Posts
Looks fantastic !!!
especially love the effect of the rocks faces blending into the grassy areas. Looks so realistic, really well done !

Simon

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Cheers Simon. Yeah I only let the fuel stops last around 20 seconds to fill up

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Okay, 5 mins. is a little long, but we have to eat too

But I am thinking 2 mins., I want to try stimulate to think about and calculate the strategy. If it only takes 10-20 seconds for a 70-100 lap stint, than strategy is less important than when it takes 2 minutes. Than you can actually start thinking if the speed gain of low fuel is worth the effort etc. But before the big day I will have a test session of 2 hrs to see of it really is fun. I will start a topic soon about the race, than we can discuss further, and see the end results

Back to John

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi all, its been a while since I last posted but thought its time to update my thread.

First I have now relocated the track to a new house which has taken a toll on the scenery a little while in transport on the back of a truck but I will start to repair it after xmas time as I have a few mods on the track to complete at xmas time. The pit pro system has been removed and replaced with the Smart Sensor which has been working great.

The main mod I am looking at doing to the track over Xmas is removing all the drop in lane changers and replacing them with Routed MDF ones which will help me perfect it for my next track build and also now allow me to fix a lane changer with ease and without having to dig the track out from under the bog which annoys me lol as the track gets heavily used fornightly for the last 5 years and has done numerous Enduros some lasting over 4 hours so every now and then ive had an issue occur where ive had to rip a lane changer or 2 out of the track. It also now gives me access to the main sensor board if I ever need to do a firmware upgrade without having to take all the lane changer out of the track. About 2 months ago I started by routing 2 xlc's the same size as the plastic ones the were in the track and I inserted them into the track now giving me 2 less to do at xmas time but to also get a few racemeets done on them to make sure what I have done to these 2 will go the distance for a long time and be reliable at changing at the same time, and from what I can report back from having 1 racemeet on them so far is I wish I had of done it a long time ago. Anyway here are some pics of the upgrade and a short video of a test run of the very first xlc to make sure it worked.

Lane Changer Test Video

And finally we just had our annual V8 Supercar Enduro just over a month ago this race was 1000 laps and took just under 4 hours to complete here is some footage of the first 10 laps of the race

North Bris Slots V8 Supercar Enduro

61 - 80 of 85 Posts