SlotForum banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks like a lot of work, but I think the routed lane changers will be worth it. have you thought about making the lane changers longer than the plastic ones? Did you have to slow down for the lane changers on your track when they were plastic track pieces?

Nice work.
Regards
Kirk

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
Hi John
nice thread. I have missed your thread so I went through it in one go. So, your last mod is basically removing the plastic part of the XCL but you are still using the original electronics and flippers. You mentioned that you had some problems with the XCL that required you to dig them out from the track. Could you be more specific? I have 7 of them and would like to know what to expect on the long run ;-)

You mention also a new track: looking forward to seeing it started.

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (Captain @ 15 Nov 2014, 00:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks like a lot of work, but I think the routed lane changers will be worth it. have you thought about making the lane changers longer than the plastic ones? Did you have to slow down for the lane changers on your track when they were plastic track pieces?

Nice work
Regards
Kirk

Thanks Kirk is a little bit of work involved but it's mainly getting the XLC routed and ready to fit into the track. And with the plastic pieces in the track I can hit the lane changers at full pace without deslots but that comes down to the size of the actual crossover, when I first built the track I routed the crossover the same size as a scalextric one and you had to back off crossing over but I soon filled in the crossovers and re routed them one is at least 2 to 3 times the size of a scalextric crossover and now can lane change as hard as desired with no deslots. So lengthening after the flippers is best to make faster smoother lane changes

QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 15 Nov 2014, 03:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi John
nice thread. I have missed your thread so I went through it in one go. So, your last mod is basically removing the plastic part of the XCL but you are still using the original electronics and flippers. You mentioned that you had some problems with the XCL that required you to dig them out from the track. Could you be more specific? I have 7 of them and would like to know what to expect on the long run ;-)

You mention also a new track: looking forward to seeing it started.

Cheers GRUNZ, yes I'm using all the scalextric electronics and flippers, I have had 2 lane changers pop the positive wire off from the sensor board and one changer once had the black plastic piece come free from the little metal rod from the solenoids but because I could not access the underside being inserted into the table makes it a little bit of a pain to repair. And yeah hopefully can get to do another track in the next year and it will be larger and setup to allow 1/24 use as we now run up to 1/28 Mini Z plafit and love how good they go but would love to see 1/24 running around in digital racing

Cheers John

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
Hi John
thanks for the reply and explanation. Question about the 1/28 and 1/24: you planning to use the scalextric digital components for running this scale in digital? Or are you planning to go the scorpious way? I am asking because I do not know which options are available for digital in the larger scale (except for carrera of course).

thanks,

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
No worries GRUNZ only glad to help out other digital users. Doesn't matter what size car you run what does matter is motor current draw and lane spacing. Currently I have a lane spacing of 100 mm but does reduce to Scaley width which I think is 78 mm at the start finish and lane changers due to the inserted plastic pieces. My next track I will split the sensor boards and run around 120 mm lane spacing all the way around allowing enough space to race 1/24 side by side. And with plafits atm we run the fox 2 motor which is around 25000 RPM but what murders scalextric chips is any motor that draws constantly more than 1 amp, a stock Scaley motor peaks around 1 amp but stay generally under 1 amp but the fox 2 can spike to 2 amps and generally runs over 1 amp so far since playing with digital since 2007 I find that the slot it Chips handle motors that pull around 2 amps I even have a 30000 Nsr Shark in a slot it running fine on a slot it chip. And obviously any metal chassis car like Plafit you have to make sure your chip is insulated or not going to arc out on the chassis. Also my aftermarket power supply that powers the rails on my track tells me how many amps is being drawn at the time so it helps me work out what chip is suitable

81 - 85 of 85 Posts