SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hi again, I am back

After dismantling the old track, cleaning up the room, painted skirting board and window frames
I am finally ready to start a new venture

The aim with the new track is for it to be a fast track with only a few twisty and technical parts. Again the track is loosely based on ideas found on the forum, and then adapted
to suit the space I have allocated for it. I have re used the old base board and they now measure 5.50m long x 1.40m wide narrowing down to 0.60M in the right corner. Here is a picture of the first draft
that I built the track from:

And this is what it looks like tonight:

Kristian and I have been racing tonight, and it is a fast and fun track, and he loves it

If you look closely on the drawing you will get an idea of what type of scenery I am planning, and it is worth noting that the track will be placed on 4 different elevations.
The scenery will consist of; waterfalls, streams, ocean+beach, mountains and rocks, forrest, farmland. Building wise I guess I will re use the kiosk, log cabin and church and in addition
there will be a garage and some new homes. aiming for something set in the 50/60's during late summer/Autumn.

As usual your comments and ideas are welcome, thanks for looking.

Regards Per

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good luck with your new project. I did enjoy reading about your last "Little bit of Norway" track, lots of effort was put into it and the results showed your effort paid off so with this new track I am expecting no less than amazing.

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
Hej Per
Good to see you back in action with a new track up your sleeve.

Now if only Bill would get started on a new one, I can finally start sleeping again.

cheers and looking forward for a steady flow of how to images.

Chips and dibs

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On my last track I built all the support and elevation out of wood (pain too tear down) and it made it quite heavy. Have anyone else got a good idea on what to use to support all the elevations? Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Mercedes GP @ 3 Jan 2010, 22:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good luck with your new project. I did enjoy reading about your last "Little bit of Norway" track, lots of effort was put into it and the results showed your effort paid off so with this new track I am expecting no less than amazing.

Hi,
Thanks, and the expectations I put on myself are no less

Per

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
Styrofoam seem to be the consensus when it comes to lightweight elevation support.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Hi Per

Good to see you back in action after the pain of watching the old track being torn down.

I would suggest using the same elevation supports that I have used. If you look back at the early postings you will see what I mean. They are cheap, strong, and light. Two people can easily carry a 2m x 1m piece of track section even though it looks like it weighs a ton!

Styrofoam is a good alternative but creating the slopes is quite difficult by comparison with plywood.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Perthor....

I thought the layout looked familiar...

RecklessRacer's Coffin Track lives again! The Coffin Track

Cheers!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Ember @ 4 Jan 2010, 22:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'll second the vote for styrofoam. Messy, but fun. You could probably even talk to [email protected] about her SlotBricks

Hi Ember,
I had a look at the Slotbricks, and I must say that it looks like a pretty damn good idea. Would like to try them, but unfortunately I am quite impassion and the products arent ready yet, so I guess I go ahead with plywood
. But I will try the Slotbricks on the next project, Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all,
I meant to finish off all the elevations this weekend, but I hate to admit it, I was stopped by snow
So in the meantime
I have been playing around with the elevations using what I have. This is what I so fare has ended up with:

Track overview:

Right side:

Left side:

As you can see I have moved the single lane up to the bridge, that way I can make the road/track naturally narrower due to the old bridge.

Allthough it is good fun too drive, and the kids love it. I am not sure about the layout, it does not excite me
So any good ideas from you lot would
be greatly appreciated.

Regards Per

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hi Per .. good to see the track is *up n' runnin'* Speedy work!

So why is it unexiting to drive? Hmm .. tricky. Too many long straights? Too little demanding series of successional twists & turns? No rally yumps? Have no idea ..

You could try keep the back and perhaps half or part of the second straigth. Then try a little different twisty configurations at the front [easy to reach]. Do the double hairpin-complex anew, in a little angle to it? Try and break up the straight-line look ..

I liked the idea of *the coffin* but perhaps it's good for Endurance and LMS or F1. And fast, but that was your preferance for this, eyh?

-- ron --

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (ronMcRain @ 11 Jan 2010, 15:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Per .. good to see the track is *up n' runnin'* Speedy work!

So why is it unexiting to drive? Hmm .. tricky. Too many long straights? Too little demanding series of successional twists & turns? No rally yumps? Have no idea ..

You could try keep the back and perhaps half or part of the second straigth. Then try a little different twisty configurations at the front [easy to reach]. Do the double hairpin-complex anew, in a little angle to it? Try and break up the straight-line look ..

I liked the idea of *the coffin* but perhaps it's good for Endurance and LMS or F1. And fast, but that was your preferance for this, eyh?

-- ron --

Ron,
I guess I asked for this
I have made the single lane stretch slightly longer with a few more turns, and I have also added a left turn lane changer under the bridge. This makes it better, but not perfect
However I can live with the current layout, especially after \i have started to fix the elevations in place. I'll post a few pics when I get home from Copenhagen and Oslo Thursday night. Thanks again Ron for adding inspirations to my track layout, now maybe you can start with creative scenery ideas

Regards
Per
PS: The track will be fitted with the new scalextric powerbase, if it ever get released

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,
I was planning this track with the new power-base in mind, since it can do both digital and analogue. However I just realized since I have long stretch with single lane, I guess the analogue want work! Any idea, or am I correct it has two stay two lane for the analogue mode to work?
Per

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
you cant run analoge on a single track with two controllers. What you could do is the single lane with fixed current so at that point you wont be able to controle the car, and a mechanical lane change. but its a lot of work and maybe the single lane changed to a narrow part with two separate tracks is better.
nb, that could give interference with the braids if the tracks are too close next to each other

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmm! Amazing how you suddenly have way to much other stuff to focus on (like work, family house kids, rugby, holidays, etc), than getting on with the track build! Funnely enough most of my enthusiasme to get on with it has disapeared, I wonder if it is because I am not sure about the track design, scenery ideas or have I just changed my priorities? Help wanted to get back into it again
I'll be back, the question is just when
Per PS I did carry in more plywood for the track yesterday, but I think I left it in the hall and now I am in NOrway on business

1 - 20 of 224 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.