SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts

Here are the rules and regulations for the 2012 Norwich Summer Saloons, on Saturday the 16th of June 2012, at the Norwich Slot Racing Club.

The event is a double class meeting, for Saloon Cars, and Group C Sportscars.

Entry Fee:
£6 per class, pre-payed,
Please make cheques out to:
Norwich Slot Racing;

And Sent to:

Norwich Summer Saloons
Slot Racer Magazine
1 Chappshill Way
Mulbarton
Norwich
NR14 8GN

We can also accept direct bank transfer. Please PM me for the account details.

Your cheque will indicate your confirmation of entry, and payment received entries will be posted within 48 hours of the payment being received.

Please note that it has been requested by the club that Ortmann tyres are not allowed at this event, as they played havoc with grip levels on our regular club nights. NSR or Slot.it rubber works nicely around the club, as the track is rubbered into these compounds.

1990s SUPERTOURING; SALOON/TOURING CARS:
Cars must replicate SuperTouring Formula cars, as ran from 1990-1998 (inclusive to the end of 1998). They are the 2 litre, 4 door Touring Cars made anywhere in the world.

Entered cars must have competed in one of the suitable Saloon/Touring Car Championships at the time, for example the BTCC, STW (German) or a similar series.

Chassis must be the standard item that was fitted to the slot car when it left the factory. Chassis cannot be adjusted in anyway (flexi slot's etc), apart from the following:
• Piano wire (or the like) may be used to stiffen the chassis.
• The guide recess can be cut out, and fitted with a 'proper' guide, to replace the quick fit item that originally came with the car.
• When fitting a replacement guide it is ok to glue a piece of plasticard or similar to the bottom of the chassis in order to set the guide depth correctly.
• Some cars of the time had the front body mounting post in front of the guide. When fitting a replacement guide to these cars, the front body mounting post gets in the way or loses its chassis screw hole. So it is ok to fabricate a new body mounting post just behind the guide. (Some cars, such as the Audi, had the front grille as part of the chassis, which hooked into the body. If you would prefer to mount the front through this hole, and have one screw using the rear mounting post, this is ok.

Only one motor is allowed to be mounted into the chassis.

Any 'Mabuchi' style motor is eligible for use, but up to and including 21.5 thousand RPM.

For cars such as the SCX Volvo for example, which where fitted with the 'RX' motor, it is ok to use aftermarket adaptors to fit the 'Mabuchi' style motor into the car.

Neo-magnet motors are not allowed.

Components (Axles, guide, gears bearings etc):
Any running gear that is generally available to the public, as recognized spares for saloon cars are eligible.

Guide, wheels and the chassis should not be visible when viewed from above in the straight ahead position.

Tyres are free choice, but no silicones or sponges. Ortmanns are NOT allowed. As a rule of thumb, NSR tyres and Slot.it's work well on the grippy NSR track.

Wheels too are free choice, but diameter must be identical front to rear.

The cast light fitting, and the plastic tubes which carried the light to the front and rear can be removed, as long as the external lenses remain in place.

Interior must be the standard item fitted to the car.

I would prefer to see period colour schemes if possible.

Front axle movement can be restricted via a tube or shims glued inside the chassis

SCX Volvo's and Peugeots must run the steering active in class 2. Stops and caps on the pivot parts will be allowed to try and reduce the number guides and steering breakages

Finally, weight can be added inside the chassis, no weight to be fixed to the underside, with the exception of weight where the magnet was once housed. As long as this is securely fixed, and meets the ground clearance regulations, that is fine.

SUPER-TOURING CARS FROM 1990-1998
Minimum Front Tyre Width: 5mm
Minimum Front Tyre Diameter: 17mm (Front tyres maybe low profile, but wheel diameter must be identical front to rear)
Maximum Rear Tyre Width: 10mm
Minimum Rear Tyre Diameter: 18mm
Minimum Ground Clearance: 1.5mm (excluding the front splitter which falls below this limit)

LIST OF ELIGIBLE CARS

Scalextric
Alfa Romeo 155
Audi A4
BMW M3 E30 model
BMW 320i E36 model
Ford Mondeo
Opel Vectra
Renault Laguna
Vauxhall Vectra

SCX
BMW M3 E30 Model
Peugeot 406
Volvo 850

Ninco
Audi A4

Fly
BMW M3 E30 Model (Not the rally version) (2 door version is allowed)

TeamSlot
Audi A4

PLEASE NOTE: Super-Touring cars also ran in 1999 and 2000, but to a revised set of rules. These cars were really low and wide, and included the new Alfa Romeo 156 (produced since by ProSlot and Fly). For continuity with the older cars, these are not allowed.

LE MANS GROUP C CARS
Cars must replicate Group C Sports Cars, as ran from 1982-1993 (inclusive to the end of 1993).

Entered cars must have competed in one of the suitable Sports/Prototype Championships at the time, for example:
FIA World Endurance Championship (1982-1985)
World Sports-Prototype Championship (1986-1990)
World Sports Car Championship (1991-1992)
European Endurance Championship (1983)
IMSA GTP Cars (1982-1993)

Chassis must be the standard item that was fitted to the slot car 'when it left the factory'. Chassis cannot be adjusted in anyway (flexi slot's etc), apart from the following:
• Piano wire (or the like) maybe used the stiffen the chassis.
• The guide recess can be cut out, and fitted with a 'proper' guide, to replace the quick fit item that originally came with the car.
• When fitting a replacement guide it is ok if you need to glue a piece of plasticard or similar to the bottom of the chassis in order to set the guide depth correctly.

Only one motor is allowed to be mounted into the chassis.

Any 'Mabuchi' style motor is eligible for use, but upto and including 25 thousand RPM.

Neo-magnet motors are not allowed.

Components (Axles, guide, gears bearings etc):

Any running gear that is generally available to the public, as recognized spares for sports cars are eligible.

Guide, wheels and the chassis should not be visible when viewed from above in the straight ahead position.

Tyres are free choice, but no silicones or sponges. Ortmanns are NOT allowed. As a rule of thumb, NSR tyres and Slot.it's work well on the grippy NSR track.

Wheels too are free choice, but diameter must be identical front to rear.

If cars where fitted with working lights, these components can be removed, as long as the external lenses remain in place.

Interior must be the standard item fitted to the car.

I would prefer to see period colour scheme's if possible.

Front axle movement can be restricted via a tube or shims glued inside the chassis.

Finally, weight can be added inside the chassis, no weight to be fixed to the underside, with the exception of weight where the magnet was once housed. As long as this is securely fixed, and meets the ground clearance regulations, that is fine.

LE MANS GROUP C CARS FROM 1982-1983

Minimum Front Tyre Width: 8mm
Minimum Front Tyre Diameter: 18mm

Maximum Rear Tyre Width: 12mm
Minimum Rear Tyre Diameter: 19mm
Minimum Ground Clearance: 1.5mm

LIST OF ELIGIBLE CARS
Scalextric

Jaguar XJR8
Jaguar XJR9
Porsche 956
Porsche 962-R
Porsche 962-C
Mercedes C9/88

Concours d' Elegance/Best Turned Out Car-Award (Applies to both classes),
Unlike most retro races, which feature a 'proper' concours d' elegance, this meeting will feature a trophy for the 'Best Turned Out Car', for both classes. Two experienced modellers will pick out what they feel to be the best looking slot car for each class. Needless to say, this will be for cars which have been repainted/decalled, and not for cars which feature their original livery. This will allow the modellers who attend this event to put some of their skill to good use.

Accommodation:
Premier Inn Norwich Airport, (1.7miles from the club)
Delft Way,
Norwich Airport,
Norwich,
NR6 6BB
Tel: 01603 428648,

Holiday Inn Norwich North, (1.6miles from the club)
North Cromer Road,
Norwich,
NR6 6JA
Tel: 01603 410544,
www.hinorwich.com

Oaklands Hotel and Restaurant, (5.7 miles from the club)
89 Yarmouth Road
Thorpe St Andrew
Norwich
NR7 0HH
Tel: 01603 434471
www.oaklands-hotel.co.uk

Transport
KLM regularly fly to Norwich International Airport from Europe, and there are various internal flights that fly to and from Norwich International. If an entrant is going to be flying in, one of the club members will be able to come and pick you up, and bring you to the club.

The Track:
Lanes: 4
Lane Length: 140ft, (the largest in the region)
Corners: 17
Surface: MDF finished in gloss
Rails: Braid, magnetic
Timing: DS Software, running through a digital display

Finally, this meeting is being sponsored by SLOT RACER MAGAZINE, the premier magazine for slot car enthusiasts, who will be covering the event in the magazine.

-The Current Entry List-

John Parr
Ken Mason
Jon Grainger
Troy Coleman
**** Kerr
Jim Kelly
Melvyn Johnson
Gary Wakeley (TBC)
Terry Howard (TBC)
Nigel Gibbs (TBC)

We already have 10 entries for this event. With spaces for 28 drivers available. Please register your entry through this thread if you would like to enter this event.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Already got an Audi saloon and a Mondeo for this and John Parr got me Group C Porsche and Jag from Ebay for around £7 each - just need to get modifying! Can't wait

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies Gentlemen, to clarify:

Julian: ST rules were adopted in 1990, however as a supporting class to the larger capacity class. Support was limited, with only factory teams from BMW and Vauxhall, along with privateers taking part. The close racing encouraged more manufacturer support. So put simply, the Sierra is not eligible.

David: Yes, at the moment, Scalextric Group C's are the only eligible cars allowed. However, I'm not sure if other manfucturers (SCX, Ninco etc) made Group C cars. If they did, I'll be more than happy to consider it. Obviously, Slot.it Group C cars are not eligible.

Regards
Jon

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Looking forward to this one, Such cheap cars a real budget event if you want it to be. Going to start on them once the turkey has gone..

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE (ferraif40 @ 23 Dec 2011, 10:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any 'Mabuchi' style motor is eligible for use, but up to and including 21.5 thousand RPM.

At what voltage?

·
Registered
115 Posts
When modifying the guide are you allowed to remove the metal contacts that connect the pickup braids to the motor leads on a scalextric car?
Also I would like to confirm my entry in both classes. I will pay ASAP.

Nigel.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Nigel,

Yes you can remove the metal tabs. Thanks for your confirmation, I've had some more interest via PM's, so I'll update the entry list soon.

Regards
Jon

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the updated entry list for the 2011 Norwich Summer Saloons.

John Parr
Ken Mason
Jon Grainger
Troy Coleman
**** Kerr
Jim Kelly
Melvyn Johnson
Gary Wakeley (TBC)
Terry Howard (TBC)
Nigel Gibbs
Mike Thompson
Rob Wallader

Regards
Jon

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the updated entry list, as on 28/12/2011. I'm still awaiting some confirmations of entries, so I'll update this as and when.

John Parr
Ken Mason
Jon Grainger
Troy Coleman
**** Kerr
Jim Kelly
Melvyn Johnson
Gary Wakeley
Terry Howard (TBC)
Nigel Gibbs
Mike Thompson
Rob Wallader
Dan Ellis

This gives us 13 entries for this event. With spaces for 28 drivers available. Please register your entry through this thread if you would like to enter this event.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
A box of bits arrived from Pendle on Friday and I spent a day working on my Scaly Jag and Porsche to try and make them competitive for this event. Changed the motors, rear axles, gears and wheels, tubed the front axles and cut away enough plastic to make a Slot.It guide fit. Just had a secret test at the track and they go like hell! Very pleased - this should be a fun event.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Another update to the entry list. Still awaiting confirmation from other potential entries.

John Parr
Ken Mason
Jon Grainger
Troy Coleman
**** Kerr
Jim Kelly
Melvyn Johnson
Gary Wakeley
Terry Howard (TBC)
Nigel Gibbs
Mike Thompson
Rob Wallader
Dan Ellis
Paul Reading
Jim Wright

This gives us 15 entries for this event. With spaces for 28 drivers available. Please register your entry through this thread if you would like to enter this event.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sill more to add to the entry list, this event really is proving to be popular, and I'm awaiting for confirmation from other potential entries.

Payment has been received from Mike Thompson, thanks for that.

John Parr
Ken Mason
Jon Grainger
Troy Coleman
**** Kerr
Jim Kelly
Melvyn Johnson
Gary Wakeley
Terry Howard (TBC)
Nigel Gibbs
Mike Thompson PAID
Rob Wallader
Dan Ellis
Paul Reading
Jim Wright
Richard Hilton
Mark Fulcher

This gives us 17 entries for this event. With spaces for 28 drivers available. Please register your entry through this thread if you would like to enter this event.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
My apologies young Terrance, now adjusted

Current entry list-

John Parr
Ken Mason
Jon Grainger
Troy Coleman
**** Kerr
Jim Kelly
Melvyn Johnson
Gary Wakeley
Terry Howard
Nigel Gibbs
Mike Thompson PAID
Rob Wallader
Dan Ellis
Paul Reading
Jim Wright
Richard Hilton
Mark Fulcher

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Please note,

A slight change to the rules. For the Group C class, we are now allowing the two SCX Group C cars, that they made at the time. Namely the Jaguar XJR14 and the Mazda 787b. Although the Jaguar didn't run in Group C, it runs the same chassis as the Mazda, so I can't see there being any problems. If you have any concerns regarding this, just drop me a PM.

Like the rules for SCX cars in Saloons, the car must run the active steering. Stops and caps on the pivot parts will be allowed to try and reduce the number guides and steering breakages.

Also, adapters maybe used to fit the regulation 'Mabuchi' motor.

Regards
Jon

1 - 20 of 46 Posts