SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I,ve decided amongst all the negativity of folk giving up recently I decided ,walking back form the pub at lunch time that I would carry on with the banter and the modelling for a bit longer
Not sure whether thats a cause for celebration or gloom ,but you are lumbered with me for a bit longer yet
Did my first open meeting in 1962 and I,m still trucking
See you at Netley!

Cheers tony

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Well done TC!
It is nice to know that with you, ****, Dick and Eddie, there are at least 4 of you guys older (and wiser!) than me.
Looking forward to all the battles left this year, and a full programe of Classic/Retro meetings next year.
Kind regards Bill.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bill
Older and wiser ,mmmm one out of two is not bad

chris
If my announcement has encouraged you to stay in the hobby ,its worth doing

Cheers tony

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Phil
I think after about 50 years on the handle ,I reckon I am probably "banterproof",and after some of the things that have happened recently (you know what I am talking about ) i cant see you can say anything that would make it worse
Besides there would only be DC to extract the urine from you if I left

Cheers tony

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Phil
How does that work then
you are a model slot car trader ,and the more people that do it the more trade you do , so shouldn,t you be encouraging people to stay in the hobby
Or have I missed something here

Cheers tony
Ps look forward to some banter at netley

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
Simple Tony, the more people that give up the more stuff that comes up for sale for me to buy, in the end I will have all the slot cars in the world.
It will all be mine, mine , mine

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
Not a bad size, in the past I have had plenty of ones around that size, seems a normal sort of figure for the more serious collector, last year I had the biggest I have ever bought, just shy of 3000 cars!
Still selling them, even now, over a year later.

Of course on a more serious note (and this was a humorous thread, wasn't it?) there does seem to be more people selling up than starting to collect, a case of the collectors growing old I think, just the way that 'O' gauge trains went about fifteen years ago

·
Administrator
9,792 Posts
Good observation Phil - could it have something to do with the baby boomers beginning to reach retirement age? And expected pensions having gone up in smoke? or just reaching the end of a hobby cycle?

For active racers, it seems to be more in the 30-45 age bracket, but most collectors I know are older. Do you have a breakdown by age of your typical collector customers? Or are they all just broken down like us?

Don

·
Eddie Grice
2,307 Posts
Is scale buying all these collections in anticipation of the next slotcar boom around 2050

Think I might have given up cars for boats by then

Eddie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts