SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Ian
99 Posts
"Hawaiian Tropic Rally Begins"

Got the money in my pocket and I got the plan in my mind as you can see I have stolen ideas from bastumannen ( Toby) but as it progresses I hope I hope you can see it's different.

Off down to the local B&Q sheets so big too big to fit in the car had to borrow a trailer!

Got all the bits I need to start, luckily the copper arrived yesterday.

Transfer the plan on to the wood,

Start the cut-out phase this is going to take some time! Good job I have a little helper!

Why am I cutting the straights in half? I would love to keep the whole thing as a single section but unfortunately it has to go through a very small hole to get it into my loft so it needs to be made in sections.

I know it doesn't look much but the cold soon came and we had to go inside hope to complete the cut-out phase tomorrow.

Oh! and what did I get once I got in abuse from ScoobySi

To Be Continued:

·
Ian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys

@ Matt Luckily ScoobySi is a mate of mine
@ Rob Thank you, I hope to show it as it progresses no buildings on this track!
@ Si it was a lovely day yesterday but this morning its thick fog and frosty, progress may be slow if we venture out at all! As for the drawing onto the MDF we used Classic as a template what else is it good for?????

TO BE CONTINUED:

·
Registered
158 Posts
congratulations to dare building a wooden track
a lot of us would like to do the same I think

I can't wait to see the next stage!

dimitri

·
Ian
99 Posts
Today's progress was hampered by bad weather it was very cold! Consequently I didn't have my little helper, but soon had the rest of the cutting stage completed.

Then it was on to the router stage!
I thought this was going to be easy more fool me! Start on a practice piece did an outer curve, never played with one of these before, depth tick box, width tick box. Lookin' good OK now to do the inner radius not so easy the router came with a compass arm for the outer curve it was fine, but just won't fit on the inner one! Have to make a template for that.
In the meantime just have a go at the straight WOOPS! First router blade Gone!

What time is it? Just time to get down to B&Q and buy another, Humm guess two sweeps would have been the better way to go, as ScoobySi had said, still I have learnt some thing.

Got back from the shop and it's too dark and cold to continue, guess it will be next weekend before I get to do any more.

@ dimitri & scaleymatt Thanks it has to be done, I just hope I can do it at least half as well as some of the ones I have seen on here

@ slot king Nope landscape only! But I hope it will still look good
Now I do like those SCX Rally Tents

Thanks guys

TO BE CONTINUED

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks like you are off and running at a fair old lick! Good to see that you are roping the young Bleep to help. Excellent work
. What's the overall size, looks about 11' x 7', and how much elevation change are you planning?

Stewart

·
Ian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stewart,
your about right with the size, I want as much elivation as I can get without going silly! It is restricted by the Loft space that it is going in to.
I would be happy with about 18 inches but I may go for more if I can

Cheers

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
Good luck with your plans...looks a big job for your first attempt...
where do you plan to store it?..pulling up the digital track?
what cars will you use as I believe you have been chipping faster than a seaside cafe at bank holiday with a bus load of rugby players just pulling into the carpark?
keep us all posted

·
Ian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nitro,

QUOTE I believe you have been chipping faster than a seaside cafe at bank holiday with a bus load of rugby players just pulling into the carpark?

LOL I nearly fell off my chair
Don't worry this is as well as my SSD setup I have a "BIG" loft and I'm using a different section for this, It is just for RALLY CARS

dimitri.

I look at those tracks and dream "One Day!" then I look at the clock? has that much time really gone past?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Yeah that guy is awesome!
your track is coming on as its been bad weather and work (school for me and young bleep hehe)

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Bleep, I've been thinking of doing a wooden rally track, but hoping to also keep my digital. Seems to me that a rally track is the ideal venue for using digital. Have you considered integrating digital into this rally/mountain climb track?
Looks like by cutting the MDF into pieces would allow you to replace one or more pieces of MDF with some SSD pieces?
I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes and taking clues for my own project. --JMSWMS

·
Ian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi jmswms,
Yes your right it could be a great to combine the two, in particular the pitlane LC with some of the single lane parts I think "joergresch" with the best hill climb track I have ever seen, is planning something like that.

But I am building this for a different reason, I like scenic tracks and this will give me the opportunity to play without damaging my sport track which I want to keep as near as possible "like new". We also have cars that will run well in analogue mode that will draw to much power to run on SSD.

The thing is I do have a spare Ver 1.5 Power base so it really has crossed my mind but that is as far as it has got, I must admit I didn't think I could build my own LC's, I had never thought of incorporating them before. But NO this is for analogue only and it will keep me busy for some time well till the straight LC's hit the market!

And another reason it's cheap! I have only spent £28:00 so far so I hope to end up with a fun track for less than the price of a Digital Car, can't be bad!

I hope to log all my progress on here so you can see my mistakes and when you get started you won't make them I look forward to seeing yours develop too.

Regards

1 - 20 of 256 Posts