SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've seen a fantastic selection of new product at the toy fairs, so churlish to ask for more. Financially suicidal too, but seeing this pic posted elsewhere I couldn't help think that if someone, Vanquish MG say, were to make these cars then a large number of us would be very grateful.

Why Vanquish?

Well, the bigger size and diff would be perfect for these slim cars.

Scott

·
Registered
714 Posts
I most certainly am attracted to the subject matter - they are beautiful.

But if Monogram could make superb little 1/32 scale GP cars in the 60s - there is no need to make them over-size now. So I couldn't possibly condone encouraging VMG to make even more non-1/32-scale slot cars!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Great idea and some interesting points. I don`t mind who makes them as long as they appear!

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
I'm waiting in anticipation for Chris Wright (Beardog Racing) to produce the F1 Eagle-Weslake T1G, just as soon as he has done the Indy car...

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
392 Posts
The Beardog Model is a jewel; perhaps a jewel too good to risk on the track; last saturday I have lost another mirror of a simple Scaley Mini, and even today I am angry
( and trying to duplicate it with epoxy putty )
I too would like some of these old sleek F1 available, also from big manifacturers like VMG, Scalextric and others ( with plenty of spares ! ).
Do you remember the film " Grand Prix " with Yves Montand? Plenty of F1 action there!
Ciao

·
Registered
392 Posts
The Beardog Model is a jewel; perhaps a jewel too good to risk on the track; last saturday I have lost another mirror of a simple Scaley Mini, and even today I am angry
I too would like some of these old sleek F1 available, also from big manifacturers like VMG, Scalextric and others ( with plenty of spares ! ).
Do you remember the film " Grand Prix " with Yves Montand? Plenty of F1 action there!
Ciao

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
But look at what Phil Smith started here....

I would love to see pictures of the finished car, Phil!

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Me too! I love all that suspension detail- having tried and failed to do it myself, I can only gasp in amazement.

And what's that sneaky little motor in there?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (sprint @ 9 Feb 2004, 02:47 PM)The Beardog Model is a jewel; perhaps a jewel too good to risk on the track; last saturday I have lost another mirror of a simple Scaley Mini, and even today I am angry
Ciao
I agree the Beardog model is fabulous, but it also looks quite robust too. After all it does have a metal chassis.

I have got the film Grand Prix on video! I bought an NTSC format, two-cassette box set. It wasn't available on PAL or DVD at the time. What a great film, apparently James Garner was quite a good driver!

More useless info:- Maurice Jarre composed the theme tune. He is Jean Michel Jarre's father. JMJ is a genius on synthesisers.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Showing your age there Mark! JMJ whatever happened to him mate? Last time I saw him he was doing that playing music with lasers stuff
Love these `proper` cars
Any more out there?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I see your point regarding VMG but i'm afraid I disagree. The diff would spoil the rear end of the car - which I personally feel has happened with the Lotus 72.

At a cost of providing a Diff, the car loses a lot of suspension/gearbox detailling spoilling the car, it would be even more noticeable on a sixties F1 because there are no spoilers to hide/camoflage the mechanism.

Also, the car would inevitably be oversized, having one lined up against a Scalextric Renault and it turns out bigger, it would look well, not right.

Personally, Fly would get my vote.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Sorry Jamie, but FLY have stated that they will NEVER make any F1 or any other single seater. Why ? The boss doesn't like them ... That said, they are going to make their first proper rally car with the 037, so who knows ...

Personnally, I would prefer that FLY would make a 935 K3, Moby Dick, 936, Alfa 33, etc. rather than rally cars or cup cars like the Alfa 147...

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I suggested Vanquish quite deliberately because the cars could then be a bit wider and so handle better. As with other Vanquish cars, they car race/run with each other. Try to imagine a old Hornby Lotus or Cooper (i.e. 1/32 scale) with modern motors - they would be simply undrivable!

The cars in that picture have the stance of the current Vanquish cars, the ratio of the track/wheelbase and tyre sizes is about right. Plus, Vanquish have shown themselves quite good a paint finish so those BRMs, Ferraris and Lotii would zing.

Scott

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Your right about that and you may want to consider Mac Pinches Pre Ad cars if VMG don`t deliver. I loved racing his cars and they just feel so right, slidey at the right moment. Different time period but still `Proper` racing

·
Registered
420 Posts
I can imagine quite a few classical F1 cars in 1/32 (F2 and F3 etc included here). I would really be interested in getting a number of them. If they came in the normal 'Scalextric' price range I would not hesitate. - I do however not understand what is meant with 'undrivable'. Does that mean undriveable like - 'they are all over the place' ('sliding')? Well they were in the sixties - weren't they?

Actually I have quite fun with my Reprotec classical F1 and they are not very detailed and do not seem to be in scale. I would like to see the old F1 cars from the sixties made with the modern detail levels but I do not think that they would need to run as glued to the track as the modern F1. It would be nice if they did run reasonably similar to each other though... oh what do I know...

//peter

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Your point is a sound one and on a subject dear to my heart. Slot racing and it`s cars are based (loosely?) on real motor racing. So taking it that there are a number of different classes, shouldn`t the slot car behave in a similar way to the real thing? Each class being very different to the others and the speed and handling close and comparable within the class but very different to other classes? If so why do people run with magnets? Why upgrade every component to make a car barely recogniseable in the pursuit of speed? If they all perform the same what`s the point in there being different cars we may as well race a chassis with a margarine tub on top?
If VMG make the 60`s cars and you race them against each other then it`s gonna work for you i.e. a one make class. It doesn`t matter about scale, running quality etc cos they are evenly matched which will give you better racing?

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
The pic that Scott posted (from Russell in another thread) exhibits perfectly the time period when I got involved in motor sport. I love those cars. I guess the first memories of anything are special.
My first car race was the '67 Canadian GP and I was hooked. Although I love all race cars, modern to old, it is the F1 cars of the late 60's that are the most special to me. I don't care who makes them, but I want them to be the fast, twitchy cars that they were! No magnets please! Lots of drift and lots of power! Sure, make them smooth runners, but make them as real as possible! No wimpy drivers need sign up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts