SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I am just catching up on post and have had a glance at the August NSCC journal. There is one letter in there that has almost prompted me to shove in a reply!

Those of you who get the NSCC journal will know which letter I am refering too!

Maybe the author is a Slotforum member but judging by his style I would have said not as I would recognise it instantly!

Also, considering it is thought that the "Messages From Margate" column is a PR opportunity, there are a few comments included that would suggest otherwise.

Its a good read but some of the NSCC correspondents do not appear to get their brain out of first gear!

It would be rather fun to have an NSCC correspondence type debate at Slotforum but I suspect the moderators would not permit it!

Moped

PS I have probably single handedly increased the NSCC membership by 10% with this one post!

PPS If I do send in a letter JEXY1 I want a royalty on all new members you recruit between now and your next publication!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, I wont have to become a member but I will have to go back and read the letters page again as I am not at all sure as to which letter you are talking about.

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Surely Moped, if you are prompted to reply to a letter in the NSCC Journal, then it should be in the NSCC Journal, not the Forum.

I look forward to reading your reply in next months journal.

M

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
Hi Moped,

I've just had another look at the letters in my NSCC magazine. I couldn't find anything controversial.

I assume you refer to the letter criticising the Moto GP bikes and Sport cars, I agree with him and believe he is being constructive. if you want a magazine that is totally in Scaley's pocket, stick to Racer.

John

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 19 Aug 2004, 18:03)Its a good read but some of the NSCC correspondents do not appear to get their brain out of first gear!
The forums a great place, dont get me wrong, but some members don't get their brain................ Wait, have we been here before?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that the appropriate place for a reply is the NSCC letters page. Hence I have said nothing here in connection with the contents of the magazine but one or two observant Slotforum members are on the right track.

Moped

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey there!

Hmmm, interesting thread to read with my cup of tea track side in France.

I've been here in France for a few days now with Nuro and it is very intersting to see things from the other side of the fence so to speak. Anyhow I digress.

So the NSCC journal is going to get a letter from Moped Rider? Well it won't have been the first time his name has been mentioned in the journal as some of the longer term members will know.

QUOTE (Moped)it is thought that the "Messages From Margate" column is a PR opportunity

Really? Says who? Yes it is there to inform members of upcoming releases and news but this is not purely PR for Hornby but rather one persons reporting of the information that he gains form Hornby at quite a lot of effort of his own undertaking. The gentleman who writes the column is a very big Scalextric collector and has a genuine passion for Scalextric cars, at the same time he will be critical at times if it is needed, this is a good thing. After all we all need critism and anybody who thinks this is not the case is either blinkered or rather silly.

The NSCC has always been independent and if it ever moves away from this I think it would be a sad day indeed. The gentleman who writes the 'Messages from Margate' column is a member of SF although I am certainly not going to tell you his name on here, if he wishes to do this it should be his decision.

QUOTE (Moped)Its a good read but some of the NSCC correspondents do not appear to get their brain out of first gear!

I actually find this comment rather offensive and it reminds me of an old saying with a pot and a kettle! None of the writers of the columns are paid to do this or recieve lots of freebies. Indeed none are profesional journalists (as far as I know), they all spend a large amount of their personal time writing the columns each month purely for the love of the hobby.

Of course I am by no means a spokesperson for the NSCC and this is all just my opinion, which we are all entitled too, rather than fact.

Julian.

NSCC Member.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE Its a good read but some of the NSCC correspondents do not appear to get their brain out of first gear!

It was a comment made in connection with the letters from correspondents rather than the articles.

Of course any magazine worth their salt are going to publish the more controversial letters as these are the ones that stir the emotions the most and generate further correpondence. Any letter that says "Hornby are fantastic and all the boys at Margate should receive a pat on the back" is unlikely to to be published although some NSCC members may view such comments as being as equally controversial!

Moped

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
I'm confused?

Nothing particularly controversial on the letter pages, members can write what ever they like.

We have had lots of constructive letters complaining about all manner of slot related topics over the years, always have, always will. The editor tends to print them exactly as they are received in the letters section.

Message from Margate, Shipment from Spain, Carrera Corner, Ninco News and Fly reports are all monthly articles/sections by independent NSCC members - not company reps (with the exception of Aaron). To be honest we have to gather info ourselves rather than it being forthcoming from the manufacturers.

Moped - there is an NSCC section on the forum already see:

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showforum=18

But why not write a letter to the NSCC in reply.

I doubt the member who wrote the article is on the Forum (he might be?) but a recent survey revealed that over 40% of our members are not online.

By all means moped you can have 95% of my commission that i get for new members (95% of nothing is nothing) we are all volunteers!

Happy reading!

Gareth
WWW.NSCC.CO.UK

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey there Moped!

Thank you for clearing this up, however, please think about the semantics of what you post as I believe most people would have drawn the same conclusions as myself. Maybe these misunderstandings cause a lot of the problems that people have with your posts at times?

Cheers,

Julian.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Moped

Interesting post, even if I don't have much idea what you are talking about. I write Messages From Margate in the NSCC Journal every month. I only collect Scalextric cars and have around 2000 of them. I would imagine there are few people who are more passionate about Hornby's products than me.

Messages From Margate is supposed to be a service to NSCC members providing them with news about what has just been released, what is coming soon and hints about what might be seen in the future.

I meet with representatives from Hornby most months and I ask most of the questions. I try to probe as much as possible into what is coming in the future and why, and we often have vigorous debate over some of it. I was asked to sign an NDA agreement so some of the things I see have to be kept under wraps until the time is right. They do volunteer some information and my opinion is sought over a wide range of topics. I have seen and commented on many prototypes that will not be launched for some time yet and I enjoyed several hours playing with and discussing the Digital system only last week.

It is not a PR opportunity for Hornby - they don't tell me what to write or how to write it. I report what I think will be of interest to the members. The relationship between the NSCC and Hornby is strong and the club is independant. This means I can be critical when I feel it is appropriate but I ethuse more often
They do choose what to share with us and I have to work hard at gaining their trust and respect.

Many members send me feedback which is shared with Hornby. Some is critical about certain aspects of their products. Hornby love to receive this and suggestions from NSCC members have directly led to improvements in the products over the years. They don't always listen of course, as the limits of cost, technology or mass market demands may be stronger.

The letters page of any publication is where the readers can express their own opinion. They are free to do so as they are on Slotforum. Personally I wish a few more people would write with praise rather than criticism as this would give a more balanced view from the membership. I get loads of private correspndance raving about new models and liveries and wanting to know when model C**** will be in the shops.

Finally, the NSCC Comitee are always striving to improve the club for the benefit of the mambers. So if any NSCC members would like to see more or less or something different in Messages From Margate - just let me know.

Sorry, this seems to have turned into an essay. Read the September NSCC Journal for news about Digital, and to learn about a new Scalextric livery where the whole production run was given away on the Margate seafront a few weeks ago.

Cheers

SlotRaccoon

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hi Slotracoon

What caught my eye were the comments in connection with the Saburu in the Hot Pursuit set. It is a set designed with kids in mind to encourage them into the hobby. If you were being persued by the police then surely you would have your lights turned off and if you were the sort of bloke who was a candidate to be persued by the police then it would be very likely that you too would have blackened glass in your Subaru. I know I would have a blackened visor on my crash helmet!

The car looks like a baddy car and so it serves its purpose as designed.

Anything else would not offer an appropriate image for the target market.

However, if you were to design a baddy car, then what would you do?

Moped

PS By the way I have made up my mind to send in a reply to "that letter" and if published it will be in the October issue. So there is possibly something for NSCC members to look forward to!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 20 Aug 2004, 13:12)However, if you were to design a baddy car, then what would you do?

Just to hijack this thread for a post. For a baddy car I'd utilise a metallic blue over silver 2.8 injection Ford Capri with a motorsports front spoiler, a turbo tail, chrome wheels and rather large bore exhausts fitted.

Ahem.. sorry that's my 2p worth.

Mark.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would have put normal lamp lenses, smoked windows, a driver platform and the drivers from the new Torino. When did you last see a car with black headlights and an opaque windscreen.

Of course, I also know that this was done to keep costs as low as possible.

BTW I have the same personal opinion of the Boxster and TT too

Mind you - just wait until you see the new Ford GT - absolutely fabulous.

Write to the NSCC Editor by email today and you should make it into the September Journal - deadline is today.

SlotRaccoon

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hi Slotraccoon

Thank you for the offer but I would prefer to think about the reply. There are 10 to 15 points to be addressed, a number of innacuracies, and a minor dig at NSCC members to boot so a lot of ground to cover as you will appreciate.

I do appreciate that some of the issues raised by your correspondent will be lost in the mists of time but I am very confident that your readers will recall what was said by your correspondent when reviewing my reply.

Moped

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Get ready for my 2p worth...

QUOTE Many members send me feedback which is shared with Hornby. Some is critical about certain aspects of their products. Hornby love to receive this

Well we have found the reason behind making so mnay bad cars...

QUOTE Personally I wish a few more people would write with praise rather than criticism as this would give a more balanced view from the membership.

Surely you would prefer an accurate representation of the opinions of the members, rather than a 50-50, sitting on the fence, Swiss view?

QUOTE Thank you for the offer but I would prefer to think about the reply.

FIRST TIME EVER!!!

McLaren

PS. I think this thread just started as another case of " I have something to say, but don't really want to say it ". Why don't you tell us what the letter was, and what your feeling about it was... you usually do.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, I am going to be totally fair to the NSCC magazine and their correspondent who may not have access to the internet and reply through that forum first. The NSCC may have to expand its letter section subsequently as I have a sneeking suspicion that my ultimate reply, if published, may generate further correspondence.

Of course there may be others who beat me to it in the September Journal.

Moped

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 20 Aug 2004, 12:24)Of course any magazine worth their salt are going to publish the more controversial letters as these are the ones that stir the emotions the most and generate further correpondence. Any letter that says "Hornby are fantastic and all the boys at Margate should receive a pat on the back" is unlikely to to be published although some NSCC members may view such comments as being as equally controversial!
I look forward to receiving your letter Moped - then I may be able to understand what you are blathering on about!

For the record - I include every contribution that I receive in the magazine - I only edit for libel, personal abuse, bad language and spelling/grammar.

I do not select or reject anything on grounds of controversy or any other reason - everything goes in.

I have never refused to publish a single letter or article in the 5 years that I have been editor. Members are free to state any opinion - good, bad or indifferent - about any slot related subject they choose.

Brian

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
QUOTE (NSCC-Editor @ 22 Aug 2004, 10:53)For the record - I include every contribution that I receive in the magazine - I only edit for libel, personal abuse, bad language and spelling/grammar.
spelling/grammar

You shouldn't need to do much there then Brian! As we already know, Moped has his "eye on the pulse"

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE I only edit for libel, personal abuse, bad language and spelling/grammar.
Cleanly deleting that which might offend is probably essential.

But 'corrections/alterations' are risky in the definite possibility of their changing the impression of the writer that is available to readers.
So I sometimes wonder about the wisdom of correcting spelling and grammar too.
Of course anyone can make the occasional and obvious typographical error and it could be deemed simply sensible and helpful to correct it.
A good example of that might be obvious transposition of lteters (letters).

But spelling and grammatical alterations, especially if there are a lot of them, carry considerably more of a guide to the originator's true character. Leaving text exactly 'as written' gives readers a better opportunity to more accurately assess the carelessness or intelligence of the writer and some readers might well object to being arbitrarily denied that opportunity. That is, they might if they actually knew it had happened!

Which leaves the question . . .
Do readers have a right to the fullest possible data in order to make up their own minds?

A very difficult decision!
Which matters most?
The writer or the reader?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts