SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been pointed out in another area of the internet that the current election forms are to be returned to the Club Secretary even though this is the position being contended . Obviously this is less than ideal and appears to have been a genuine oversight by the committee

After querying this I've been informed that the oversight has been acknowledged and corrected . New numbered forms are on their way to all members and these will have a different return address . I'm assuming all the old forms are invalid , so save yourself the price of a stamp and wait for the new voting slip before voting. If you have already sent yours back , I believe it will be destroyed so that no member can vote twice !
I'm not on the committee myself and have no connection to the club other than being a concerned member . I have however met most of the committee at one time or another and am sure that neither they or Stephen Barber would hate to be associated with any improprietary action

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Hmmm....

Deja vue

The last time the post of Secretary was being contested the forms went back to the Secretary.

I was a member of the NSCC and was a concerned member but did not renew my membership after the last election for Secretary.

Good luck to those contending the post.

J-c

·
Registered
281 Posts
Agree the person standing should not be the person counting, however I think it would be unlikely that any funny business would go on. Clearly having to reissue the ballot papers is going to cost the club a considerable amount of money as postage is not cheap, funds that could most probably be better spent. You would have thought somebody would have realised this! Lucky not completed mine yet, but good look to both candidates as without willing volunteers these clubs would not be what they are. Perhaps an on-line ballet would be more cost effect in future.

·
Registered
73 Posts
QUOTE (TR7_Driver @ 24 Sep 2012, 21:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Agree the person standing should not be the person counting,

If you read the election announcement in the July journal the ballot forms are to be returned to the Secretary and the votes counted by "an independent observer". So the Secretary is basically only used as an admin accommodation address.

Just FYI

Ellington Cat

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
All past elections have been run by the club secretary at the time, regardless of whether his post has been involved. This is common practice in many types of clubs. The secretary is legally responsible for the activities of any club and he has to be trusted to run an election fairly. In any case, as the previous post states, he is merely the collection point for ballot forms. They are always opened and counted by an independent person.

If you have a suspicious mind then what guarantee do you have that any other recipient of the forms wouldn't be involved in possible ballot rigging? The only cast iron guarantee of a fair election is to pay a large sum of money to the Electoral Reform Society to conduct it. This would be a little OTT for a small hobby club like the NSCC.

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
I don't think the Electoral Reform Socirty actually conduct elections. Their mission is to change the way we choose our politicians, and I wouldn't think the NSCC can be classed as politicians.

The mission of the Electoral Reform Society is to secure at all levels of representation an electoral system which will:

Ensure all votes have equal value
Give effective representation to all significant points of view within the electorate
Allow electors to vote for their preferred candidates without fear of wasting their votes
Ensure the accountability of individual representatives to their electorates

J-c

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

There have obviously been issues with the voting process, and I agree that the process must be changed to prevent such things happening again. I'd like to see a the committee finding a non-committee person to recieve the returned voting slip's, their sole duties being to collect and pass on the unopened voting slips on when no less than 2 committee members are present, they then open and count the votes with further non-committee witness(s), maybe at a swapmeet?
I enjoy the NSCC and it matters greatly to me that it's able to keep moving forward and supporting our hobby. But like any club it lives on it's membership participation, so regardless of issues please show your support of the NSCC and vote.

Thanks,
Steve Baker.
Secretary Candidate

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Steve Baker,

As a concerned longstanding NSCC member myself I welcome your interest in this thread and thank you for trying to drum up some enthusiasm for this election.

Your editorial platform address in the journal was rather short and light hearted in comparison to the other candidate I think most would agree. (and as a fellow collector of model toy cars I must agree we sometimes forget that indeed is what they are - toy cars and not get worked up) Perhaps you could expand a little more on your ideas for the club to reassure those members who are undecided about voting, that they do indeed need to vote, and that the best way forward for the club is to possibly vote for you.

Why do I write this? Well this election could prove a turning point in the clubs history I believe, so it warrants further discussion. I am not a facebook fan so can not follow any issues on there.

I don't want to turn this thread into a personal attack on any individual in the election or club, but surely there are other members out there undecided on voting who would welcome some more discussion so they could make a more informed decision on who to vote for?

If any member wants to discuss this offline with me by all means send me a PM.

Cheers,

CB

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE (Cambridge Blue @ 24 Oct 2012, 22:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why do I write this? Well this election could prove a turning point in the clubs history I believe, so it warrants further discussion.
I don't follow your reasoning here Steve. Exactly why should this election be a 'turning point'? The position of Secretary is primarily a back office function - keeping accurate records, making sure the club is run in a legal and transparent fashion etc. The present incumbent has carried out these duties in a mostly satisfactory manner for many years and I fail to see why replacing him would produce any radical change of direction.

Like you I found Steve Baker's election address to be very lightweight with no real indication of what he would hope to achieve if elected. If he wants my vote then he needs to work a lot harder at putting his vision for the future across to us members.

I am with you in encouraging all members to take an interest and use their vote though. Democracy is a precious thing and it is all too easy to lose it through apathy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

Yes my address was light hearted, it was intended to be (we're talking about a hobby here). But doesn't mean I'm not taking my standing for secretary seriously, I wouldn't have stood for the position and wasted the NSCC's time and money if I wasn't serious about wanting the position. What initially made me think of standing was Andy Carmichaels "Chairmans Chat" in the June edition of the magazine in which the elections where announced and he asked for people to stand with statements such as "What are you doing for your club?" and "...(I) feel it is healthy for any Committee to have new blood and ideas."

What would I like to do on the committee? A number of things and I'm not going into all of them here but a couple of key things for me are;
- Try to have more of the larger public events such as Gaydon, Donnington etc. Which would need co-operation between the NSCC, the traders and as many NSCC members as possible. These events seem to be popular with almost everyone.
- In my initial speaking to people I found a number of people I'd thought of as die-hard NSCC members who where no longer members, when I asked why not the reply was often along the lines of "Because of the Internet the magazine seems to be becoming something less than it used to be". Personally that isn't my view of the magazine I'd feel lost without my monthly fix, but it is what I was being told. One point of the magazine which I'd like to see changed (if possible) would be
single vehicle reviews, which often do appear quicker on the internet (Slotforum and other places) before they appear in the magazine. Reviews change to be a camparsion of how the new vehicle races against those already out there, as well as having the collectors view covered. But with most things NSCC members views would be key to any chganges.
- To see if the NSCC could set up a race & exhibit days (or weekends). Kind of a cross between an NSCC/Hornby weekend and what we did at Toyota. If it works such events could be held wherever.

I hope you like my idea's, they are quite big ideas I think, and would need assistance from a lot of people to achieve some of them. I want an NSCC that can move forward and retain it's place as a leading light in our hobby.

Thanks,
Steve Baker

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi,

I am an NSCC member i have read your reply with interest my concern is what the financial cost of your ideas would be to the NSCC without
raising the membership fees, To run any event has a financial cost attached to it.

Also the clubs membership and financial stability are crucial to the NSCCs long term future in these challenging times and the way that the
club is run for the membership should be the committee's priority.

You also say that in order to run larger events you need the co-operation of the NSCC, the traders and as many members of the NSCC as
possible, If the members are to give there time for free to work at these events then there has to be some sort of insentive to do this as
most of the members helping at the event would look at the traders who are making a profit for being there.

Another point this raise's who pays the liability insurance cover for the NSCC members at these events????

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Steve,

agreed, there are numerous things to consider. But then what cost to the NSCC is a Hornby weekend? My understanding is none. Who pays for liability insurance? I've no idea, I don't know if there is any liability insurance for the Hornby weekend. My understanding is that it's public events of this sort that get non-members to attend, some of whom then join. This is one reason why I'd like to investigate the possibilites if elected.

Ragards,
Steve Baker.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Hi Steve and Steve,

I have read Steve Bakers earlier post and indeed spoken to him about it.

What he has suggested is a good idea and believe me it is something we have already discussed on numerous occassions previously as a Committee. Indeed Steve Budd has pretty much nailed it when he highlights the cost implications and this is why we have not as a Club organised on our own a large event since the great events at Epsom some years ago, where the venue and other associated costs where pretty much sorted out for free or very little cost thanks largely to the organisers at the time, such as Gareth Jex and Scott Brownlie among others, who gave up alot of time and called in a few favours etc.

We have attempted to regain a foothold so to speak in the slot car world and in some of the events by organising the Northern swapmeet and taking over the Milton Keynes event, we do liaise with the traders in connection with other events also, but we are a small Club with limited funds, and as Steve Budd points out the financial security of the Club is paramount and therefore we cannot take the risks of organising and financial backing a large event such as Gaydon, since unlike the traders behind such events we do not get a return as such on any investment.

I know the cost that Slot Car Promotions had to meet for the Gaydon event and believe me, there is no way the NSCC could afford to put on such an event single handed and that we would carefully consider any JV as I have already said the returns to the Club are small or even non existent. Also we feel it is better using our limited funds to produce limited edition Club cars, something the Club has always done and using more directly to the benefit of the members rather than to the general population at large, since it is after all the members money in the Club.

With regards the issue of getting assistance, whilst Steve Baker ask for help from members, it is regretable that we do not get many helpers at events, we have a core of people who give up their time for free and assist, but these people are very few and despite our requests for help from the general members this is often found lacking, unless of course we do offer an incentive. For example the last two Gaydon events we had very few members apply to assist over the weekend, until we produced a limited edition car for people to purchase, then we got the offers of help. This is no critism of the members, its just the way of world I'm afraid these days, plus people want to attend the event and not be tied to the NSCC table, room or track all day like we are as a committee!

With regards the issue of Public Liability insurance we as a Club have this every year, it is an annual policy and we need it for swapmeets at MK and Ossett as well as the Ramsgate weekend. It is paid out of Club funds which are obviosuly recovered via the current membership fee plus other things such as the proceeds from sales of cars etc. The insurance is there not only for NSCC members at an event but also the average joe public, it is obviously a legal requirement and is requested by the owners of the venues. It is shown on the annual accounts when they are released for all to see.

Finally, I would take this time to point out Steve Bakers comment regarding the Journal, personally I do not think we are late with information or that you can get car reviews on the internet much quicker, for example here on this forum, I have not seen all our reviews or articles elsewhere for sure, indeed some I have included from members have appeared elsewhere after us. Nor can I change what is included, this is up to our members who all contribute for free, so if someone wishes to compare different cars rather than write a review about a single car that is up to them, not me, I merely include and edit what I am provided. I am always grateful to receive additional contributions from members over and above the regular articles we get, you can never have too many!

I have also had feedback from members who enjoy the hard copy and look forward to receiving it, many prefer a hard copy they can pick up and put down at leisure rather than being tied to a PC or a tablet, indeed look at the success of Slot Car Mag who started out as PDF down loadable version and subsequently realised due to demand that a hard copy is needed and was indeed being requested. We have looked at doing an electronic version in the future, indeed this has been mentioned in previous Journals, however currently the problems (putting it simply) with this relate to being able to upload copy due to file size, make it secure on the internet for members only and of course time and money, which both will be required in varying degrees to potentially upgrade our website, the trusty club computer and of course produce the monthly copy in hard and virtual versions.

I hope the above answers the points raised. Thanks for reading!
Jeremy

·
Registered
281 Posts
Anybody who gives up there time to support organisations such as the NSCC should be commended.

However I would like to know more about the challengers credentials to be a secretary as this is an important post, earlier replies would suggest more suited if standing for an events officer post.

Please that funds are invested in club cars, however would like to see more from Scalextric as only collect these cars, also like to see them tampo printed with NSCC logo, which I don't think this years car was, only a slight livery change to an existing one.

Also felt that this months editorial was bias against the current secretary and don't feel this type of article should be published during an election campaign, is there some political tensions in the committee?

For me would like the option of a PDF magazine to save on postage costs, which surly is a good bit of subscription and club costs. Cant be that hard to produce as old editions are available on the web.

Best of luck to both people standing in the election, my vote will be cast soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I am a new member with no agenda whatsoever. The purpose of my joining was purely to receive the Journal. Frankly, I am disappointed with it for a couple of reasons; the lack of "historical" articles and the very poor quality of many of the pictures. The first problem is presumably either as a result of a lack of demand for this type of article and/or the lack of people prepared to write such articles - the editor can only print from what he receives. If it is purely because members prefer the (endless) information on new releases so be it.

The second problem may be down to the small page size.

I am also a member of the Hornby Railway Collectors Association which had a change of editor a number of years ago. The format remained A4 but the new editor insisted on high quality colour photography (previously almost all photos were pretty rubbishy black and white) and actively sought members to write articles, most of which are accompanied by high quality photographs. The result, imo, is perhaps the finest club Journal in the country. For comparison purposes, the membership is about 2,000 and subscriptions about £30 p.a. It is published 10/11 times a year.

If anyone would like to see an example of the type of articles that are published in that Journal please send me a pm and I'll happily e-mail one.

Stephen

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi asdw,

The editor can only print the articles that are sent to him, if you have an article that you think would be of interest please forward it to the editor.

This point has no bearing on the election.

steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Steve,

I think it does have a relevance to the election. The Secretary is an important position with influence. He (and other Committee members) can help, hinder or ignore the Editor. The more help the Editor gets, the better the Journal will be. What is the most important thing the NSCC does? Surely it is the Journal? I am not intending to diminish in any way the hard unpaid work that I'm sure all Committee members do but do think that this point shouldn't be forgotten.

I will not vote for either candidate as I have no valid opinion on their relative worthiness - only their statements and neither statement addressed my concerns.

[For the avoidance of doubt, I do not think that any impropriety whatsoever would have occurred with the original election process and also have no problem with the corrective actions taken].

Regards,

Stephen

P.S. I did say the Editor could only publish what he is given - the key is how can the Committee help him to get better/more submissions? Also, it is up to the Committee to consider increasing the Journal budget to improve it if they consider that correct. There is little point in me sending in an article given the current quality of the pictures and the current format.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quality of mag is excellent, its now full colour, not many years ago only some pages were colour. Yes occasionally the odd picture is of poor quality but that must be down to the source. If we want different articles its down to us the members to supply them, rather than rely on the same authors every month.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts