Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Hi Jexy - I am not a member, thought about it and kind of put on the back burner.
Suggestion - tell us why we should be members - all I need is a bit of persuasion!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey there!

Monthly Journal About 50 pages full of news, reviews and some good damn good articles.

Club Car Every year or so a special model is produced by one of the manufacturers for the NSCC. This car is not available any where else.

Swap Meets Membership allows you entry to a number of NSCC only swap meets throughtout the year.

Hornby Weekend An opportunity to go on a trip to Kent for the weekend and meet up with like minded racers and collectors as well as Hornby. The weekend for a very good price includes accomodation, a meal on the Saturday night as well as racing, presentations and an auction. Oh yes, Hornby make a special run of 48 cars that are presented to each person attending too.

To be honest I think membership is worth it for the monthly journal alone.

Cheers,

slik.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
30 enthusiasts formed the NSCC (originally called "The National Scalextric Collectors Club") in 1981 to bring together those people who collected Scalextric cars. The club has since grown to over 1000 members, not just in the UK, but also in Europe, North and South America, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, and India. It has also expanded to include all makes of slot cars, old and new.

Take a peek
NSCC Home

I think I will join.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Just to add my opinion (oh no) on this.

I have been a member since '92 and every December at subscription time it's just a case of cheque in the post. Never even give it a second thought.

Run by slot car enthusiasts for slot car enthusiasts. And don't be misled by previous mentions of the name, it caters for ALL makes.

BTW, because of the calendar year subscriptions, I'd suggest potential members wait until December to join up.

Mr.M

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi All

Just posted this out of interest, thanks for the replies.

When I started collecting there were no web based slot forums and the only general reference material was Roger's Scalextric book. From this I found the NSCC and joined.

Over the years the collection grew and I started to go to NSCC swap meets all over the UK. Meet some very nice people, started racing (with Mr. Material, Silk, Slotracoon, etc,etc).

I have for the last 10 months been the NSCC SCX liaison - writing articles and info on SCX.

We get pretty good support from most of the major manufacturer's (with the major exception of Fly!) Most of them listen to feedback we give and sometimes act upon it.

Aside from the possible club cars (see Ebay for sale items!) and Hornby weekend etc the monthly journal has reviews, collecting info, race tips and at the back we have members classified ads (sale, want, swap).

I wasn't on a membership drive, but:

Subscriptions are: (inc joining fee)
£17:00} U.K.
£20:00} Europe
£28:00} Africa, India, Hong Kong, U.S.A., Canada
£29.00} Australia, New Zealand, Japan

The membership year runs from January 1st to December 31st.
if joining after January the following deductions can be made for each expired month:
£1.00 (UK)
£1.25 (Europe)
£1.90 (Africa)
£2.10 (Australia)

Go to WWW.NSCC.CO.UK for the full info.

Gareth

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE BTW, because of the calendar year subscriptions, I'd suggest potential members wait until December to join up.
Definitely going to join!
Thanks for all the info, gentlemen, and particularly for clarifying that there is a deduction for expired months - two/three months membership for the full £17 would have been a little stiff!

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
No Gareth, we got the 200th newsletter anniversary Jag XJ220 free, the Rovers were £50 the pair (and I got 2 pairs- woohoo). Definitely a good idea if you guys wait until December to join up cos Slotracoon has organised another club only edition with Hornby which will be out soon and I don't want a sudden influx of members jeopardising my chances of one

Mr.M

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Hmmm, I joined by accident a few years past: thought they gave a car away every year, seems that was "Racer."

After two years I gave up on it though. Not because of the car thing but because the news was always behind the internet and I got tired of anally retentive writers moaning that this sponsor logo should be 1.25mm smaller in width, or 2mm higher on the wing or in a different shade of blue when reviewing a new product.

That and the quality of the black and white images was frustratingly poor.

It struck me, and please don't mistake these ramblings for something that actually matters, but it struck me that the folks in charge at that time were in denial of the existence of superior products coming out from other brands (remind you of anyone in particular? No names, no pack drill!
).

The fact that the bulk of the membership don't have internet access speaks volumes to me.

Maybe some of that has changed. Maybe some of them have bought Commodore Amigas.

Hell, for a free car I'll sign up. December you say?

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Whoa there Mr. Ickx! Before there is any messy litigation based on what's read on this board, I'd just like to point out that we only got a FREE car once. All other NSCC specials have cost around the same as the regular ones produced by that manufacturer. Hornby, MRRC and Ninco have all done specials for the club. They are usually strictly rationed to one(pair, in the case of the Rovers) per member, any remainder being offered to the membership once all have got theres.

The new car, which is well advanced, may not be out till next year now. And before you all ask, I don't know what it is, but there was a members survey to decide. Jexy1 and me should formulate a plan to get this information out of Slotracoon next week at Farnham. I suggest pinning him down and tickling him or possibly releasing the name of a certain motoring magazine that recently did an article on him which also involved pictures from the Farnham club which, shall we say, are less than flattering!

BTW, Wankel, I hope you will find a difference in the mag now. There was a period where the denial you mention was evident, but slowly more and more people voiced their concerns on that matter, eventually leading to the company in question demanding that their trade name was not used in the title of the club. That got three cheers from me! I don't know if the NSCC abbreviation officially stands for anything now, personally I like to think it might be Ninco's Superior Cars Club.

Cheers Mr.M

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Yup. That was my mistake: the free car thingy.

Well Mr M, you got me more curious than before about the quality of the mag and rather worried about the antics going on at Farnham!

Only one way to resolve the former...

"Cheque book please my dear"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts