SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought some second hand spares. Included I got some 17.5mm NSR gears. Both SW and AW are 17.5mm in NSR range.

How can I work out which gears are angle winder and which ones are side winder ?

thanks

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,225 Posts
R3..
NSR AngleWinder are 16.8mm

If you have crowns of 17.5mm (and you are sure they are NSR) they will be either :

1. NSR sidewinder cut at zero degrees for use in NSR SW pods with small can motors like the shark.
2. NSR "for ninco" anglewinder cut at 20 degrees for use in Ninco cars with a long can motor.

If you are unsure about (2) , the angle on these crowns is highest at the flat side and lowest at the collar side.
Regular NSR anglewinders are cut at 15 degrees, highest at the collar side and are 16.8mm

Refer to the catalogue on NSRSLOT.IT for pictures etc.

Did you buy these gears for a specific car?
Mixing and matching gears to fit (crown & pinion) is possible but an be problematic.

Alan

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks, I bought a whole stack of parts from someone leaving our hobby. If all NSR AW are 16.8, then there is a good chance the 17.5mm are SW. Ive got a microscope but an amatuer eye so maybe ill have to have a good look upclose thanks for the advice

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,570 Posts
Typically the angelwider gears are cut on an angle, but a sidewinder gear can also be used in an angelwinder configuration if you want.
I've done that many times but yet to try an AW gear in a SW configuration which should work, it's not something I've considered before for some reason.

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
Been th

I've done that many times but yet to try an AW gear in a SW configuration which should work, it's not something I've considered before for some reason.
Been there done that, and raced it for more than 24hrs
thumbsup.gif

SW motors generally lower on torque so if you can get them to mesh properly.. the smaller contact path is no problem, could even be faster
lmfao.gif

You just need to open up the can and screw holes of your motormount a tiny bit and you'll be able to set and adjust your mesh.
And on a stock NSR SW mount this would be possible without moving the motor. You can make tiny adjustments by moving your gear on the axle like you would do with a AW configuration.
NSR SW pods are actually 2˚ angle winders
biggrin.png

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,570 Posts
...You just need to open up the can and screw holes of your motormount a tiny bit and you'll be able to set and adjust your mesh.

Tamar
Yep, done than on most of them, NSR and SlotIt to use non standard gear sizes.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Been th

Been there done that, and raced it for more than 24hrs
thumbsup.gif

SW motors generally lower on torque so if you can get them to mesh properly.. the smaller contact path is no problem, could even be faster
lmfao.gif

You just need to open up the can and screw holes of your motormount a tiny bit and you'll be able to set and adjust your mesh.
And on a stock NSR SW mount this would be possible without moving the motor. You can make tiny adjustments by moving your gear on the axle like you would do with a AW configuration.
NSR SW pods are actually 2˚ angle winders
biggrin.png

With kind regards
Tamar
I read about that on the Ford Gt or BMW M6, you posted some months ago Tamar, please whenever you can post some pics or a how to do it guide, in both AW and SW,could help us to solve the mesh problems sometimes seem to be unfixable.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
A "how to adjust a SW mesh for dummies" was included in my Ford GT post, let me check which one.....
...a found it here scroll down to the 3rd alinea "Room to move..and improve on fixed diameter gear ratios"

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
A "how to adjust a SW mesh for dummies" was included in my Ford GT post, let me check which one.....
...a found it here scroll down to the 3rd alinea "Room to move..and improve on fixed diameter gear ratios"

With kind regards
Tamar
Good! Thanks a lot mate.👍

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts