SlotForum banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
David H
4,296 Posts
TYRE INFORMATION

Alan and everyone else who's interested, I've chased it today and this is the news on tyres:

We intend, subject to the supplier being able to get hold of sufficient stock, to issue every competitor on race day with a pair of new NSR-5287 19x13 Supergrip Evo tyres. These are the same compound as the box-stock tyres, but with a 0.5mm smaller outside diameter. The box-stock tyres are NSR-5284 19.5x13 Supergrip Evo.

However, because of the nature of our track and the fact that the disadvantage of untrued tyres is exacerbated by it - far more than it would be on Ninco, for example, where the coarse surface acts as a pretty rapid truing medium - we won't require that the handouts are used for the race. They're yours to do with as you wish.

Instead, competitors are permitted to use their own pre-mounted and pre-prepared NSR rubber tyres (sponge not permitted), with a free choice of compound, so long as they are black and identifiable by having the original moulded NSR logo visible on at least one sidewall of each tyre. For best results, glue and true them.

If anyone really struggles to get a set of tyres trued for race day, we'll do our utmost to help you, but we only have a handful of truers available and there simply won't be time on race day for us to true every competitor's tyres. The club will be open on Saturday for practice and testing.

Advice about compounds:
The majority of Molesey's members use Supergrip Evos, even the fast boys.

Any questions, please ask.

David.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,368 Posts
OK, first question dave - what should my tyre treatment routine be? What magig ju-ju juice to I put on them? When should I start oiling them? etc., etc..

Being a ninco racer, I'm baffled by tyre prep for wood. Like many other attendees, I will be at a massive disadvantage (apart from my total lack of racing skill) with this not being a handout tyre event.

·
David H
4,296 Posts
Hi Martyn,

I agree that for non-wood racers tyre prep for it can be baffling, and because of that we've tried really hard to find a way to run the event with handout tyres, but the nature of wood plus the small but natural variation in how true new NSR tyres are made this impossible, hence us allowing driver-supplied tyres.

The good news is that any disadvantage non-wood racers may be at due to a lack of wood-specific tyre prep knowledge will only be small. In truth, I think it's likely to be at the very most a tenth of a second, probably less.

My tyre treatment for Molesey is very simple and, I believe, as effective as it can be for our track. Certainly, when my own car broke one evening, I raced instead the spare car belonging to one of our best drivers/builders and it had no more grip than my own.

I use Supergrip Evos. I mount and glue the tyre, true it, then apply a liberal coat of 3-in-One oil. Allow that to soak in, which takes 20 minutes or so, then apply a more modest coat of oil and allow that to soak in too. That's it. Done. It takes me an hour to drive to the club, I usually prep tyres in a rush just before I leave home, then do 20 to 30 laps practice when I arrive, then race.

I know other Molesey members do the same as me and use only unadulterated 3-in-One. Beware the temptation to add more oil. I've made that mistake and whilst it doesn't ruin the tyres, it does make them become a little "slimy" and not wear very well if you're prone to sliding your car a lot.

Regarding the optimum amount of time to leave before racing your oiled tyres. As I've mentioned, I leave an hour or so for new tyres, but I also re-use the tyres for subsequent weeks' races and don't re-oil prior to those events, so I don't believe there's any benefit or negative on Molesey's track from oiling tyres hours or days before using them.

Hope this helps put your mind at rest. So long as you do a good job with your truing, I'm confident that 3-in-One applied as I've described won't leave you at any significant disadvantage.

David.

·
David H
4,296 Posts
One entrant has had to withdraw, so we now have 3 places left. If you or any of your clubmates who might not read SlotForum are still thinking about entering, get your entries in now. It'll be a great event and a great way to spend a Sunday.
  1. Terry Smith
  2. Lewis Ross
  3. Neil Green
  4. Sean Ilett
  5. Alan Wilkinson
  6. David Harmer
  7. Ed Pink
  8. Josh Bryant
  9. Alan McDonald
  10. Dave KP
  11. Mark Long
  12. William Strachan
  13. Jeff Norton
  14. Pat Chidgey
  15. Adrian Child
  16. Arif Sayed
  17. Yusuf Sayed
  18. Terry Reardon
  19. Graham Scott
  20. Frank DeLarge
  21. Max Garcha
  22. Martyn John
  23. Steve Jones
  24. John Underwood
  25. Alex Stone
  26. Sebastian Birchmore
  27. Alan Birchmore
  28. Craig Jones
  29. Wayne Goble
  30. Richard Welch
  31. Lewis Gough
  32. Martin Wikner
  33. Will Stemman

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hi, I have just been looking at the regulatioons for this event.
I see that weight is only allowed on the chassis in the side pod area In these rules. Is this going to be strictly enforced, or can we put a little near the guide post, as all my racing of these cars so far have found this helps.

·
David H
4,296 Posts
Hi Jeff,

In order to keep it fair for everyone, the rules as written will be enforced and scrutineered. Any ballast will only be permitted in the area stipulated by the rules.

The only exception to the official NSR rules is for rear tyres, details of which can be found in post #61 of this thread.

David.

·
David H
4,296 Posts
We've had a couple more withdraw, so 5 spaces still available.
  1. Terry Smith
  2. Lewis Ross
  3. Sean Ilett
  4. Alan Wilkinson
  5. David Harmer
  6. Ed Pink
  7. Josh Bryant
  8. Dave KP
  9. Mark Long
  10. William Strachan
  11. Jeff Norton
  12. Pat Chidgey
  13. Adrian Child
  14. Arif Sayed
  15. Yusuf Sayed
  16. Terry Reardon
  17. Graham Scott
  18. Max Garcha
  19. Martyn John
  20. Steve Jones
  21. John Underwood
  22. Alex Stone
  23. Sebastian Birchmore
  24. Alan Birchmore
  25. Craig Jones
  26. Wayne Goble
  27. Richard Welch
  28. Lewis Gough
  29. Martin Wikner
  30. Will Stemman
  31. Phil Palmer

·
Lee Green
2,032 Posts
Hi, I have just been looking at the regulatioons for this event.
I see that weight is only allowed on the chassis in the side pod area In these rules. Is this going to be strictly enforced, or can we put a little near the guide post, as all my racing of these cars so far have found this helps.
Jeff, neither me josh or julian use weight in our f1s Just so you know.

The rules also imply the weight is only to be added to the body not the chassis.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not a problem. I just have to buy 2 new chassis for the meeting as I have araldited a bit of lead in the front. My ancient thumb throttle doesn't have the settings of the new types, and a bit of lead in the front seems to compensate and keep it planted for me, even at Pendle which is similar to Molesey in a lot of ways.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi can you put me down for a place please -Ashley Blake. I have a car built for wood already but couple of queries about the rules, appreciate they are translated and a little old by now.

1 lead/weight, I'm confused by your answer to Jeff, the rules imply no lead can be added to the chassis/pod at all, only to the body to make sure it is at least 11g, is that correct?

2 there a couple of areas of the rules that state ANY nsr part, but then list an incomplete list of parts, e.g guide (missing the wood guide), gears, missing the lightened/balanced gear and the old F1 gear. So is it ANY or ANY from the lists below?

Thanks
Ash

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
David H

I'm going start preparing my car for the F1 Weekend. I will try to visit Molesey before the weekend to run that car on the track, I'll what classes you're running in March & pick a night to make the 2 hours to travel approx. 25 odd miles worthwhile.

Couple of quick points for clarity -

1. The rules attached to the start of this discussion are still valid 100%?

2. Tyres, have been clarified so issues there.

3.a Ballast 2.9 stated minimum of 11g - should that really read maximum?
3.b Ballast only to be placed as shown in 2.9 either side of motor? Or can we place some at the front end/nose of the car?

I note I'm not the only one asking about ballast, further I see from Lee's answer some of you don't use any lead, good but if we wanted to, it doesn't make any sense in body to me, should be chassis. Can we have some clarity, specifically on that point?

4. Crown gears choice of std 27z or 25z & 24z, any chance we can use Slot It crowns? The NSR 24z & 25z wear out quickly and at random rates.... I know NSR won't like it but....

Are the results from the event are stand alone? If they then a few tweaks as above can't be bad?

Thanks
Max

·
David H
4,296 Posts
Hi can you put me down for a place please -Ashley Blake.
I've added you to the list. Thanks for your entry.

I have a car built for wood already but couple of queries about the rules, appreciate they are translated and a little old by now.
1 lead/weight, I'm confused by your answer to Jeff, the rules imply no lead can be added to the chassis/pod at all, only to the body to make sure it is at least 11g, is that correct?
That's my interpretation of the NSR rule too and will be the rule at the event. No ballast can be added to the chassis and/or pod. Any ballast needed to bring the bodyweight up to the stipulated minimum of 11g must be placed only within the area illustrated in the rules.

2 there a couple of areas of the rules that state ANY nsr part, but then list an incomplete list of parts, e.g guide (missing the wood guide), gears, missing the lightened/balanced gear and the old F1 gear. So is it ANY or ANY from the lists below?
The NSR rules aren't clear, I agree.

With the exception of rear tyres, rules for which are detailed in post #61 of this thread, the event will be run to version V1.1-2020 of NSR's rules, which were attached to the first post in this thread. I've also attached them to this post.

NSR Technical Rules - NSR Formula 86/89 v1.1-2020

Guide:
The wording in the rules is ambiguous, saying that "all NSR guides are allowed" but then adding a list of part numbers that doesn't include the wood guide. Because of this ambiguity, competitors will be allowed to use ALL NSR guides, including the wood guide, part number 4859.

Gears:
Only those gears listed in V1.1-2020 will be allowed. This means that the new lightened/balanced gears will NOT be allowed.

I realise that by allowing the wood guide to be used, it can be argued that that decision sets a precedent and consequently all gears should be allowed too, but as the new range of lightened/balanced gears is exactly that, new, isn't yet widely available from retailers and consequently most entrants won't have had an opportunity to buy or test them, we don't consider it's appropriate to allow their use for this event.

Couple of quick points for clarity -
1. The rules attached to the start of this discussion are still valid 100%?
Yes

3.a Ballast 2.9 stated minimum of 11g - should that really read maximum?
Minimum, not maximum.

3.b Ballast only to be placed as shown in 2.9 either side of motor? Or can we place some at the front end/nose of the car?
No. Ballast can only be placed as stipulated in the rules. i.e., none anywhere other than in the area of the body shown in the rules.

I note I'm not the only one asking about ballast, further I see from Lee's answer some of you don't use any lead, good but if we wanted to, it doesn't make any sense in body to me, should be chassis. Can we have some clarity, specifically on that point?
Hopefully my replies above clarify this.

4. Crown gears choice of std 27z or 25z & 24z, any chance we can use Slot It crowns? The NSR 24z & 25z wear out quickly and at random rates.... I know NSR won't like it but....
No, you can't use Slot.it crowns. It's an NSR event...

Are the results from the event are stand alone? If they then a few tweaks as above can't be bad?
Yes, it's a stand-alone event. "Tweaks" generally don't comply with the rules, so I'd avoid them if I were you. :)

Hopefully I've answered all the questions that everyone has. If I've not, or anyone has further questions, please ask. Far better to sort them out now than at scrutineering.

David.

Current entry list. Four spaces still available.
  1. Terry Smith
  2. Lewis Ross
  3. Sean Ilett
  4. Alan Wilkinson
  5. David Harmer
  6. Ed Pink
  7. Josh Bryant
  8. Dave KP
  9. Mark Long
  10. William Strachan
  11. Jeff Norton
  12. Pat Chidgey
  13. Adrian Child
  14. Arif Sayed
  15. Yusuf Sayed
  16. Terry Reardon
  17. Graham Scott
  18. Max Garcha
  19. Martyn John
  20. Steve Jones
  21. John Underwood
  22. Alex Stone
  23. Sebastian Birchmore
  24. Alan Birchmore
  25. Craig Jones
  26. Wayne Goble
  27. Richard Welch
  28. Lewis Gough
  29. Martin Wikner
  30. Will Stemman
  31. Phil Palmer
  32. Ashley Blake

Attachments

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi
just a quick question,
It seems that everyone is out of stock on the red and black motor mounts.
Are these the only two that are legal?
I have plenty of white ones could these be used?

·
David H
4,296 Posts
It seems that everyone is out of stock on the red and black motor mounts.
Are these the only two that are legal?
I have plenty of white ones could these be used?
Only the red (NSR 1283) and black (NSR 1281) motor mounts are permitted.

Pendle have both in stock

Both are available via eBay UK

TopSlots'n'Trains has the black one

Further afield, Evotecshop has both

As do several other European retailers.

Also could you take Craig Jones off the list please .
Done

Current entry list. Five spaces still available.
  1. Terry Smith
  2. Lewis Ross
  3. Sean Ilett
  4. Alan Wilkinson
  5. David Harmer
  6. Ed Pink
  7. Josh Bryant
  8. Dave KP
  9. Mark Long
  10. William Strachan
  11. Jeff Norton
  12. Pat Chidgey
  13. Adrian Child
  14. Arif Sayed
  15. Yusuf Sayed
  16. Terry Reardon
  17. Graham Scott
  18. Max Garcha
  19. Martyn John
  20. Steve Jones
  21. John Underwood
  22. Alex Stone
  23. Sebastian Birchmore
  24. Alan Birchmore
  25. Wayne Goble
  26. Richard Welch
  27. Lewis Gough
  28. Martin Wikner
  29. Will Stemman
  30. Phil Palmer
  31. Ashley Blake

·
David H
4,296 Posts
Only three places left.
  1. Terry Smith
  2. Lewis Ross
  3. Sean Ilett
  4. Alan Wilkinson
  5. David Harmer
  6. Ed Pink
  7. Josh Bryant
  8. Dave KP
  9. Mark Long
  10. William Strachan
  11. Jeff Norton
  12. Pat Chidgey
  13. Adrian Child
  14. Arif Sayed
  15. Yusuf Sayed
  16. Terry Reardon
  17. Graham Scott
  18. Max Garcha
  19. Martyn John
  20. Steve Jones
  21. John Underwood
  22. Alex Stone
  23. Sebastian Birchmore
  24. Alan Birchmore
  25. Wayne Goble
  26. Richard Welch
  27. Lewis Gough
  28. Martin Wikner
  29. Will Stemman
  30. Phil Palmer
  31. Ashley Blake
  32. Steve Eaves
  33. Tom Royle

61 - 80 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.