SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a Carrera Digital 132 track with some NSRs for competing with my family (I heard they're really fast + perform well out of the box), but would there be any modification/customization needed for me to run them on the track? I know that to run Scalextric on Carrera track there is a chip needed to convert between the 2 systems.

Or would a Scalextric digital track be better instead? I heard that quality for Carrera tracks were better but would be open to different thoughts as well.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hi Henry, welcome,

I have had to adjust the front ride height on Sideways cars, and I have heard reports you need to do the same on NSR 917's (no big deal since there is provision for this on the chassis) This is because the rails on Carrera are about 0.40mm above the plastic height. This might sound like a pita but in practice its not a problem. Even when the cars drift across the slot I never notice any issues.

There are pros and cons of each of the mentioned track systems, Scalextric is more convenient for smaller spaces due to the general geometry of the track and probably a little easier to find depending where you live so might be easier and cheaper to extend your layout later using second hand pieces (new prices may not be much different)

You will need to chip the analog NSR cars which for me is part of the fun. The rail protocol is different between Scalextric SSD and Carrera Digital, so your option if you want a chip to do both is the Slot.it type C which can switch between the native protocols using an app to reload the appropriate firmware, or when it comes to market, the upcoming Scorpius decoder. There may be others in the distant future, only time will tell. If you are happy with being limited to just one system or the other then its going to be quite a bit cheaper to stick with the OEM decoders from whichever system you use. Just be careful with the factory Carrera decoders since some of the V118 27632 (and some other model numbers as well) have "aggressive" throttle response and may make the cars more difficult to drive. If you can find older production runs of the same decoder you will be fine. Some people are happy with the more aggressive throttle response so you could be happy either way depending on your preferences.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hello Henry. Any analog car you get will need a chip to run on a digital track. I have several NSR cars, 2 GT40 MKII's and a 917K are the only ones I run right now. They are amazing cars with great detail and very quick. You might have an issue fitting a chip in some of them, depending on the size of the chip, of course. I just fit the GT40's with lights and didn't have much room for the system. I'm in the process of fitting the 917K with lights now and it has more room than the GT40's. There's not much you need to do to them to get them running great out of the box on flat plastic track.

IMG_7923.JPG IMG_7931.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
We run (also) NSR cars at our D132 club.

Definitively change pickup. It's too thin and often it don't switch back the LC flippers.

There are more than one choice:

Scaleauto: SC1607 (it need an easy workaround)

Frankenslot: LK-NSRbl (some people wasn't happy)

Thunderslot: GU002 (Preferred for sure)

..maybe others....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Henry. Any analog car you get will need a chip to run on a digital track. I have several NSR cars, 2 GT40 MKII's and a 917K are the only ones I run right now. They are amazing cars with great detail and very quick. You might have an issue fitting a chip in some of them, depending on the size of the chip, of course. I just fit the GT40's with lights and didn't have much room for the system. I'm in the process of fitting the 917K with lights now and it has more room than the GT40's. There's not much you need to do to them to get them running great out of the box on flat plastic track.

attachicon.gif
IMG_7923.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_7931.JPG
Thanks man, do you know of any places where I can get the chips to run them on a Carrera/Scalextric track? I'm still deciding between the two as I may be able to get a good deal for the Scalextric track parts (more track for less is always a plus).

And just to confirm, I will need a chip in order to run any car on a digital track, right? I'm pretty new to all of this when it comes to different brands as the only one I've had experience with was Carrera and their cars/tracks, so I just want to get as much info/clarity atm as possible.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks man, do you know of any places where I can get the chips to run them on a Carrera/Scalextric track? I'm still deciding between the two as I may be able to get a good deal for the Scalextric track parts (more track for less is always a plus).

And just to confirm, I will need a chip in order to run any car on a digital track, right? I'm pretty new to all of this when it comes to different brands as the only one I've had experience with was Carrera and their cars/tracks, so I just want to get as much info/clarity atm as possible.
I don't have digital so I'm not up to speed on Which chip to use for which track, but Yes you need a Digital Chip to run on a Digital Track. Any car that is not specifically labeled as Digital will need a chip. 2 manufacturers come to mind that sell Digital cars - Carrera and Scalextric. They already have chips in them. They, including every other car manufacturer makes Analog cars that will need a chip.

I chose Carrera because of the size of the lanes. I sometimes run 1/24 cars and they need the extra space. There's several places to get the chips on several continents, including ebay, once you decide which system to go with.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi UDoKuoio,

Which decoder did you use? Factory Carrera? Or aftermarket?

Pretty cool that you run this combo at your club.

Steve.
Thanks!

Chip... it depends on which car I use.

NSR GT3 Corvette (AW motor config.): Carrera Original.

The old version chip has a bit long "legs", but It can be accomodated.

NSR Clio/Punto Abarth (SW motor config.): Slot.it Type C

This, because I'll use my 6 Punto also for my SSD home track.

Other cars: where the room isn't enough and I need a chip with fly led: ft-slottechnik (last version).

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
2 manufacturers come to mind that sell Digital cars - Carrera and Scalextric. They already have chips in them.
Not quite right, if you buy a 'Digital 132' Carrera car it does have a chip, but if you buy the same car as an Evolution 132 there is no chip ...but all modern Scalextric cars are DPR (Digital Plug Ready) and don't have a chip, you have to buy the chip separately

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not quite right, if you buy a 'Digital 132' Carrera car it does have a chip, but if you buy the same car as an Evolution 132 there is no chip ...but all modern Scalextric cars are DPR (Digital Plug Ready) and don't have a chip, you have to buy the chip separately
Thanks for clarifying!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts