SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of building a car from parts (based around an NSR EVO4 chassis) and was wondering how good the NSR extreme grip tyres are. I've heard a lot about Tuna tyres, but can't find them for sale in the UK. How do the NSR ones compare? And are the extreme grip tyres much better than the ultra grip and extreme grips that are also offered?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car will be raced mainly on smooth plastic track (scalextric) but I was hoping for something that would also grip well on wood and abrasive plastic track, like ninco. If that's not possible, what tyres would be best for each surface? (I take it that the same tyres would work on scalextric and carrera track, as they have similar surfaces.)

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Hi BenRiverLaw
Welcome to the Slot Forum. You ask about Tuna tyres.
Tuna are just one make of what are often called fish rubber tyres. Tuna, UFRA, Pirana, Boadhogs, JK B, BSP and a few more are all quite similar black foam tyres - readily available in the from UK suppliers such as Won o Won, SCD, ABSlotSport, B Slot, Slotrail
These tyres are mainly used on metal chassis slot cars running on wooden tracks. For that application, fish rubber tyres are vastly superior to NSRs.
Those sort of cars aren't suitable for plastic track.

I don't remember seeing reports of fish rubber tyres being tried on plastic chassis cars on plastic track. It's not obvious how they would compare with these very different cars on very different tracks. Anybody tried it?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I usually run nsr ultra grips on wood at club and on scx and sport track at home. For my needs they are fine on all the surfaces.
But having tried a set of slot-it ( I think F15? not 100% sure) I found they offer much better grip but they are softer and wear quicker.
I haven't tried the extreme grip tyres yet but I will give a set a go, probably when my mosler wears its rears out next.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I,ve tried the natural rubber donuts[not tuna tyres] on a plastic chassis on sanded Ninco track, and they work really well. i dont know if you run at a club coz you might have trouble with scrutenering if the class is for rubber tyres. they are a closed cell tyre, not foam, and it doe,s say natural rubber on the pkt. their cheap to, £2.50 for 2 blanks which you can slit into 4-12mm wide tyres. john

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
When I recently ventured into series racing (modified Ninco Mosler and NSR 917), my mentor set up two pairs of NSR ultras for each car.

After truing, moderately reduced radius for plastic tracks and another set severely reduced for wood tracks. Made quite a difference for me (as in, I could stay on the tracks quite a bit longer before my inevitable novice "off").

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Hi we run mainly NSR tyres on timber ferrus painted tracks. We treat thectyres the Italian way . Our tracks have a lot of grip.
We have found that the ultras will give you record laps for about 6 laps then go off as they are so sticky they pickup
dust and dirt, supergrips work best on our tracks.
Some use Ultras for qualifying.

Ray

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info on super and ultra grip tyres. Does anyone have any experience of how well NSR extreme grips perform? They seem to cost slightly more than the other tyres, but I can't tell if this is just gimmick or if they actually provide more grip.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
At our club we find that extreems are just too soft.
They behave like F1 qualifying tyres.
On the first lap they are brilliant, and you may even get two or three really quick laps out of them.
But then the rubber starts to roll off the surface of the tyre, usually forming into little balls of rubber.
Because these tyres are so sticky, these little balls stay stuck to the tyre causing a sudden loss of grip.
Some of our guys have used them for quailfying runs but no one races on them.
The usual choice for racing being ultragrips.
As ever, the only way to find out if they will work for you is to try them.

Tuna tyres, as 300SLR has said, are quite different.
They are closed cell foam rubber.
They come as blanks which have to be glued onto plain wheels, then trued and sanded to width.
Most club tracks that use these tyres also use a light coating of spray glue on the track for increased grip.
If you run on any track without spray glue then sun lotion rubbed into them will give a significant increase in grip.
Don't be fooled into thinking these tyres are cheap as they will wear out much faster than conventional rubber tyres.
They can give excellent grip on RTR plastic cars but most clubs that race this type of car exclusively do not allow them.
Cheers.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Interesting post from Ray about ultras picking up dust and dirt and loosing grip after half a dozen laps.

I've used NSR ultras in races up to about 20-25 laps. Tyres are always cleaned before the next race. Tracks are semi gloss finish wood, completely non magnetic . The ultras seem to be loosing grip slightly by the end of the race, but not as dramatically as with Ray's experience.

That seems to suggest how well ultras work varies with different types of track. It seems likely how well NSR extreme grips work could also vary with different types of track.

Unfortunately that doesn't answer BenRiverLaw's question about NSR extreme grips and plastic track.

Edit (**** must have been typing at the same time as me) I think **** is running on wooden tracks.
Anybody like to offer some experience with NSR extremes on plastic track.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi Guys.
I have used Extremes, and agree with ****'s general veiws on mildly abrasive sufaces (such as 'Sandtex' wood tracks).
good for a few laps then 'balling' occurs and the model becomes difficult to drive due to it 'jacking up' on the balls and losing grip. They do work well on super smooth 'poly' surface tracks, to the point where grip becomes so high as to be to much!
They are of a similar make up and softness to Slot It F15 and Ninco ProRace rubber.
On Ninco, they can work, but you have to be able to drive through the balling phase and wait for the Clean up phase!
cheers Bill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts