SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,902 Posts
Hi all,

Got my first NSR which is a Mosler kit (1010W) anglewinder & I was amazed to see it not run properly first time
- maybe it's designed for perfectly flat routed tracks. I'm assuming I've assembled it correctly as there were no instructions.

Anyway, I've taken the magnet out and superglued the tyres to stop the tyre slip, which has worked for the moment - never had to do this for any other car.
Worse though is the motor scraping the track (Scaley Sport). I've put some old axle wheel spacers as washers on the motor pod screws to raise the pod a bit which seems to work - is this the best solution?
Also, the motor rotates a fraction - should I glue it in & if so should I glue it in, in place, or take it out & glue the contact points first?

Maybe I'm being a Philistine on this forum but I'm not worried about the trimming the extra tenths of a second - but I just want a car that works, and just to have fun zipping round the track and not serious club racing. As an aside just got my first Slot it & it runs like dream out of the box and it was a lot cheaper!

Cheers
Chris

· Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think doing flyovers before did deform some rails a little but the motor was catching on several joints - enough to take the paint off the motor after a few laps and make it stop & start all round the track - it was really low!

· Registered
2,902 Posts
ok spacers removed from pod screws & spacer put in the guide - track clearance is fine. But ...
It now sounds like a old banger (see start of video below) - if I loosen the pod screws 2 turns the noise more or less disappears - should I leave the pod screws tightened up and run it in to mesh the cogs or do I need to adjust the cogs or just leave the screws loose? Turning the wheels by hand there's a also stiff point on every revolution of the big cog but I can't see any damage.

Also and unrelated, I noticed the motor is pulsing at low revs and without the axle - it's easier to hear at 32 secs on video - what might be causing this? (I'm using the new SSD 6car APB with power max set at 75% & analog mode). I have only just noticed this & I think this is probably what was causing the original start/stop motion more than the the motor catching the track.

· Registered
2,902 Posts
Spot on Jeremy, you're a star! - I was too focused on looking for a damaged tooth on the cog or uneven wear and as it hits the pod at the bottom it's hidden by the cog when it touches the pod.

Now there's just the pulsing motor at low revs to solve/explain (which makes the car jerk a bit and more difficult to control at low speeds. It's unrelated to the axle screw as it does it without the axle on. Anyway at least there's no more old banger sounds

· Registered
2,902 Posts
Yep MrF dead right - I dug out my old analog transformer & it ran smoothly.

I hadn't noticed the APB analog pulsing with other cars but I hadn't paid attention to it, not having had the NSR teething problems with any other cars. Now, with testing them in the same way the pulsing doesn't seem so marked as for the NSR but maybe that' cos the NSR has a more powerful and smoother motor.

So if you buy an an NSR Mosler, unless I was just unlucky, you'll probably have to glue on the tyres, put a spacer in the guide for Scaley track, cut a bit out of the chassis to allow space for the cog screw and not use the SSD APB in analog mode or at least dial down the power.

I think that was my first & last NSR, but there again I had to break open the piggy bank to pay for this one and didn't really have any intention to do so beyond buying one to test. In fact I've found a dealer locally who sells Slot its from home for 36 and 40 euros so that's were the sensible money is going. (Don't get too excited - it's not interesting for overseas mail order, as p&p is 15euros).

Thanks to everyone for all your help on this which has resolved all the issues

· Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome to the club

Since my after sales adjustments, this is one of my best and fastest cars and lovely and smooth to drive. Out of the box, I guess they are built for unjointed completely flat wooden tracks.

Even the pulsing/hopping doesn't seem so bad know but I'm sure my APB ain't right and I'm still waiting for a reply from Scalextric customer service after finally complaining 2 weeks ago after have falsely badgered NSR customer service. NSR's eventual reply had several "it's crazy" in it and offered to send a different motor but I had just got a Scalextric 25k & 30k motors in a kit which exhibited the same pulsing. In fact, NSR & Slot it motors rpms are quoted at 12v and other brands at 15v, so if it's a linear relationship an NSR 21.5k is probably nearer 27k on a 15v APB. Running it at 75% power though is perfect on my small track.

· Registered
2,902 Posts
QUOTE (f1rem0uth @ 26 Mar 2012, 09:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What guide spacers do you use, are they the NSR ones, how many did you use?

I see NSR make 2 thickness's of spacers, I had to use 6 of the 0.25 ones, but still get slight scraping in places and on some corners.

Is their not a thicker spacer that can be bought from somewhere or some brand, so I don't need to use 6 plus spacers.

Also my guide keeps popping out, not a problem as it is easy to push back in, maybe I should try the screw in guide?
Hi

At first I just put a bit of old plastic from some old screw packaging laying around in my toolbox & it worked fine. It wasn't really necessary, but I now have 3 * 0.25mm NSR metal spacers (code 4819) and and have no scraping or guide popping out. My track doesn't have any change in elevations though and is fairly new. I didn't see any thicker spacers.

I also put some blu tac along the motor to stop it rotating and have the flattest profile underneath, otherwise it would angle a fraction - hot glue is probably better if you don't plan on changing motors.

Chris

· Registered
2,902 Posts
QUOTE (chris99 @ 5 Oct 2011, 17:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also and unrelated, I noticed the motor is pulsing at low revs and without the axle - it's easier to hear at 32 secs on video - what might be causing this? (I'm using the new SSD 6car APB with power max set at 75% & analog mode). I have only just noticed this & I think this is probably what was causing the original start/stop motion more than the the motor catching the track.

Just for reference, here's a copy of what I posted in the SSD forum:

Just to end the story which found a fix (but not the reason) in the SSD forum - I now have NSR & other high rpm cars going "smooth as butter" in analogue mode by just adding a 104M brown capacitor to the rails(also works if I add the cap directly to the motors).

Thanks to all especially Snurfen & MrFlippant for their testing.

So, it looks like a one-off related to something playing up in my Scalextric Advanced Powerbase, but maybe the solution will help another lost soul who finds the same problem.

Cheers
Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.