SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Keying the surface with super fine wire-wool works a treat on these...

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
If you go out to the B&Q at Hedge End they sell massive bundles of fine wire wool for a comparative fraction of the price of the silly little handfuls they sell in three-size packs. It's usually over by the French polishing shelves. And take advantage of the half-price garden furniture sale while you are there.

Why not?

On a serious note, if you key the surface well then you'll not need primer if you are using good model spray like Humbrol acrylic or Tamiya. Primer is simply made redundant and you'll save pointless weight.

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
Hi Andy,

I do quite a lot of refurbishment of cars - if properly keyed you can skip the primer but only if you avoid scratches when keying.

Remove any mould flash lines with the finest wet & dry paper you can find - and use it wet with the lightest of touches. I use 1200 grit because that's all my local DIY stockist has, but I think you can get finer.

To key the body I find that fine wire wool doesn't get into all the nooks and crannies so I don't use it.

My preferred method is to use a soft toothbrush and Astonish Oven and Cookware cleaner (yes really). It's a combination of mild abrasive and soap so you key the surface and remove any grease at the same time. This works a treat on old Scalextric bodyshells and the toothbrush allows you to get to the tightest of recesses without removing surface detail (I did a Datsun 260Z the other day and the very faint 260Z logo on the side panels remained intact - wire wool or abrasive paper would have removed it or made it far less legible). You might want to experiment with something less precious than your Mosler until you get the hang of it!

Make sure it's a soft toothbrush or you will get scratches that will mean you need to use primer.

Richard

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, thanks to both of you for this valued information. Both good in their own way.
I will be trying the fine wire wool and the Astonish Oven and Cookware, if I can find any around this neck of the woods. Otherwise, ebay.
My finest W&D is 2000, from my local car factors.
Thanks guys, I post pic when done under a new thread. Just go to figure out what colour and If I base it on a 1:1 car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts