SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for a new track at Archer. Instead of modular, the new track will be set up permanently. It will be about 4 ft off the ground to allow for storage underneath. Drivers stand on a raised platform. The track is 5 lanes, 12ft wide at the wide end, 4 ft wide at the far end, and 32 ft long. The theme will be the Nurburgring
It'll be tricky because the end of the straight is 32 ft away from the drivers, so that part of the track will have normally spaced lanes. All the squeeeezes will be in the twisty bits in front of the drivers. Planning on lotsa elevations.
Can't have a Nurburgring without the Karussell, so I figured I should try to build that before opening my big mouth. The 2 longest lanes get the bank, while the other 3 lanes are flat around the outside.
Can't do too much more until I get the shop cleaned out, and can't do that until our garbage strike is over. Here's a scale model of the track and the partly finished Karussell

·
Registered
222 Posts
Luf, The Karussell should be quite challenging.Are you planning on putting the "Flugplatz" anywhere on the straight? That would be a great test of throttle control,if you give it too much ,you hope it lands back in the slot.Luf an excellent design and theme as always. Snakebit

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some ideas for the straight...very fast cars will probably launch...the boys will hate it
Also, on the straight heading back towards the driver stations, the cars will drop from sight for a second and pop up just before the big sweeper

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
A model of a model! I never thought of that, but what a good idea to get an angle on the drivers' view, marshals, etc. Much better than a virtual image IMHO.

That's a very challenging track not just to drive but to build. It reminds me very much of Taunton Slot track in Somerset, England which was four lanes and hosted an annual 24 hour race that was filmed and shown on TV. They had to do the filming at twice normal speed and played it back at normal speed to be able to see the cars!

Yet another to 'track this topic'! I wish you well.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Brilliant reconstuction of the Karrusell!!! Are you planning to do the bottom 2 lanes with a yellow, brown colour for the concrete? On my track I am trying to make the Karrusell, but the cars will go the other way round.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Fantastic!!! if only I had the space. Great theme and the karrusell looks great. Managed to squeeze my own version in on my own 8x4ft layout which is also nurburgring themed...

including the concrete surface...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used wood filler...there's lotsa different kinds, I pick one that dried fast and was easy to sand. If it's a track repair that needs to be routed, I prefer Bondo
Copper tape needs to be burnished really well, we don't have problems with it lifting. It sticks a lot better to paint than bare MDF

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.